forum

Why is the preview time on my map never accurate?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
YourMumsVisa
I want the preview time to be at 335519 but for some fucking reason ever since I mapped the first diff ages ago, the preview point would never truly be where I set it.
Like, I would set it in the editor or the notepad but then it wouldn't play from the part I set it in the editor whilst I'm in the song selection menu.

Map: beatmapsets/1878264#osu/4128513

If anyone could help me with this, I'd be genuinely grateful.

Edit: If you go to the very end of the song in either diff and exit out, it'll play the song from the preview point, but then it switches when I go onto another song then go back onto my map.
I literally don't understand what's happening.
WitherMite
seems timing isn't exactly the same in both diffs, that blue tick before that downbeat is 5:35:519 in top diff and 5:35:518 in lower one.

well that and top diff has like 4 times the red lines. every difficulty in a set needs to have identical timing and preview point. if you were trying to have different preview points then I believe it will take the one from the difficulty you had open when you uploaded (I say this because it was way out at 6:08 on both difficulties for me).
Topic Starter
YourMumsVisa

WitherMite wrote:

seems timing isn't exactly the same in both diffs, that blue tick before that downbeat is 5:35:519 in top diff and 5:35:518 in lower one.

well that and top diff has like 4 times the red lines. every difficulty in a set needs to have identical timing and preview point. if you were trying to have different preview points then I believe it will take the one from the difficulty you had open when you uploaded.
Yeah that's what I've been doing for the past 2 hours lol.
I made this post while I was re timing and moving everything because I didn't think I'd get a response this quickly.

Even though they now have the exact same timing points, the issue is still happening.
WitherMite
youre sure the preview points on both diffs are the same before you upload or try to listen to them in song select?

It does let me change them by the way. If it still doesnt work, you could try saving a backup of the set somewhere else just in case, deleting the map and redownloading from website.

hmm just redownloaded, interesting that it starts a bit earlier than the preview point you set I see what you mean now.

could it be this?
https://github.com/ppy/osu-stable-issues/issues/401

might need new audio file to fix if you used VBR unfortunately (could try using a q6 .ogg)
Topic Starter
YourMumsVisa

WitherMite wrote:

youre sure the preview points on both diffs are the same before you upload or try to listen to them in song select?

It does let me change them by the way. If it still doesnt work, you could try saving a backup of the set somewhere else just in case, deleting the map and redownloading from website.

hmm just redownloaded, interesting that it starts a bit earlier than the preview point you set I see what you mean now.

could it be this?

might need new audio file to fix if you used VBR unfortunately (could try using a q6 .ogg)
Sorry for the late response.
It's unfortunate it's a bug, but I still don't understand why it plays from the preview point when I exit mapping one of the diff's, but then when I switch to another diff and switch back, it plays it way earlier than it should.
WitherMite

YourMumsVisa wrote:

WitherMite wrote:

could it be this?

It's unfortunate it's a bug, but I still don't understand why it plays from the preview point when I exit mapping one of the diff's, but then when I switch to another diff and switch back, it plays it way earlier than it should.
probably something to do with the entire song being in memory already when you load the entire map like that. peppy mentions lazer can do a "long load" because it uses threading better, but idk either really.
Topic Starter
YourMumsVisa

WitherMite wrote:

YourMumsVisa wrote:

WitherMite wrote:

could it be this?

probably something to do with the entire song being in memory already when you load the entire map like that. peppy mentions lazer can do a "long load" because it uses threading better, but idk either really.
Yeah maybe. Guess I'll just have to wait until Lazer replaces osu lmao
VP757
The reason why the audio preview is starting in weird spots is because you're using a vbr mp3, you need to be careful about that.
here's a 192kbps version that does work, and don't forget to recheck timing
Zelzatter Zero
There's nothing wrong with using VBR, it's just the stable client's preview point is too outdated for that. Both web and lazer work fine last i checked.

either just use CBR mp3 or ogg or just bear the incorrect preview points when using VBR mp3. Tho nowadays I'd recommend ogg for better audio quality with smaller size.