forum

[Archived] weird sound problems with focused windows

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ms_Kurfuffle
Problem details: Sound is fine in game however sometimes randomly mutes or goes wayyyyy up. Its kind of random and I don't know what causes it to go up or down. Whenever I unfocus from osu, like going into a browser to download a map, or search something, the sound goes way up and then when I refocus osu, the sound mutes. And its not just osu muting itself, my entire system volume is changing. Using fullscreen doesn't change anything (I like to keep the game in windowed so I can go in and out of the window easily). and none of the audio settings in osu that would make sense do anything. I also tried all the system audio settings and none of those do anything. Uninstalling and reinstalling osu doesn't work either. What's weird is that nothing is wrong on my brothers account on my computer (not his in game account, his actual separate account on my laptop) and all the settings there are the same. This doesn't happen with any other apps or programs. also using different speakers or headphones or whatever doesn't do anything. this issue has been happening for a while. so long in fact that I factory reset my laptop like a month ago, and it still does this. I'm confused and its really annoying please help.

using windows 11 and most recent stable client
video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZzYvZhNlJ9SVnaZW8X-mpPxNJsaBW0Mk/view?usp=sharing
Giai tich 2
Are you playing osu!lazer and not osu! (stable)?

If that's the case, there's a separate bar to set volume for osu! when it's being unfocused.
If that setting has higher value than the Master volume, it would raise the sound volume.

I also sometimes get that problem. The percentage is being compared to 100%, and not the current Master volume. I have a habit in Stable to lower the game volume (by scrolling in the opening screen) to something like 5%, then alt+tab to do something else.
But in lazer, the volume (in background) actually is at higher value (iirc the default value is 25%), so it would actually ramp up the volume when stop focusing osu!. xD
Topic Starter
Ms_Kurfuffle
im using the most recent !osu stable client. watch the video in the google drive link it doesnt show me using osu!lazer. ill try running osu!lazer tonight though to see if the problem still happens with lazer
Giai tich 2
I forgot to check the video and assumed you play lazer, sorry about that.

As far as I see, from your video, the volume value changed when switching monitor, your windows may somehow switching audio output to the corresponding monitor audio? (some monitor including an audio jack, and can deliver audio via DP or HDMI, Windows also regconise them as an audio device).

Check if you have some setting about audio output per app and/or per monitor

Or you simply encounter something like this https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Sound-is-different-when-app-is-focused-Windows/td-p/2201659
In this case, disable Dolby Audio, or setting it to ONE PROFILE. Don't use Automatic or Personalised, it will adjust volume and EQ, ... bases on the app you're focusing.
Topic Starter
Ms_Kurfuffle
The issue has nothing to do with switching monitors. I wish it was though that would have been a simple fix. Sadly, it also happens with just one monitor or using the laptop at school. The whole setup is laptop powered the laptop is under the desk by the way. It still happens no matter what audio device I use, whether it be the little speaker behind my monitor, the jack in the monitor, the jack in the usb hub, the laptop speakers, or any kind of headphones. I looked and couldn't find any settings related to sound output per app or monitor. Any other suggestions? I cant think of anything. If there's any settings you would like me to send a screenshot or screen recording of just ask.