forum

Importance of Scroll Speed

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
GrubDarlng
I've been looking at other osu players and more posts online about mania and I've seen a common theme of really high scroll speeds. Youtube videos I've watched recommended beginners to start in the 23 range, and I see most people online hovering between 26-32. My issue is I find it near impossible to play above about 18. Even after about half an hour of 20 or so I find I'm not adapting and am playing worse overall. The maps I can complete competently before are all failures.

I've always used the generic scroll speed of 15 and I question the importance of raising it. I guess I don't see much an a reason to but considering the sheer quantity of people running higher scroll speeds and the multiple sources telling me to raise I'm hesitant to say that its a bad idea to change it.

I guess my question is should I push forward and keep slowly raising my scroll speed and pray I adapt or is it not as important of an issue as it seems.

Thanks,
UltraBlack
You are at the literal star of the game and you may be not fully adapted to react to the notes properly. That is pretty normal don't worry about it, playing easier maps with lower scroll speed is a thing even some top players do, at this point you just need time. When the notes start to get closer and confusing all together at a point you cannot control try increasing the scroll speed slowly until you feel it is playable and not so unconfortable.
Stomiks
Scroll speed is purely preference. Most top players just seem to prefer higher scroll speeds and that is totally fine, as there is nothing wrong playing with lower scroll speeds. It's just a speed they pick which is comfortable for them, so you don't have to change it if you're already comfortable with yours.

Since you're a beginner, you're at a stage where you're still trying to adapt and build on your fundamentals. So don't force yourself to put on a higher scroll speed just because top players do it. Slowly improve yourself until you're capable of hitting notes at higher speeds.
Zelzatter Zero
if you find your current scroll speed easier to read notes then go ahead. If you find it too slow/fast feel free to increase/decrease the speed. It's purely preference.

Although I do also note that skins may affect your perception of how fast the speed is. My current arrow skin requires at least 30 in order to be at least readable, when said scroll speed would be disastrous for very thin bar skin, like current default skin. no one use default skin but still
Topic Starter
GrubDarlng

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

if you find your current scroll speed easier to read notes then go ahead. If you find it too slow/fast feel free to increase/decrease the speed. It's purely preference.

Although I do also note that skins may affect your perception of how fast the speed is. My current arrow skin requires at least 30 in order to be at least readable, when said scroll speed would be disastrous for very thin bar skin, like current default skin. no one use default skin but still
yeah I'm running a skin very similar to the default, I find it much harder to react.
Stickman92
Pick a speed that's comfortable. Beyond that its not important, its just personal preference. If you perform best at XX scrollspeed then just stick with it, other peoples scroll speed ain't important.
Quotient
Don't compare with the "top players" you're referring to, or even anyone else. Start slow and things will work out on their own as you progress.
15C
I use 30, at one point i used 34. I started at 20 scroll speed, it was abit fast but i got used it
Hoshimegu Mio
I’ve used 18 for a very long time so don’t worry. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with.