forum

osu!catch RC simplifications

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xinnoh
While translating the RC to Japanese I had to simplify some of the lines due to them being too wordy. I would suggest applying some of these changes to the English RC since it makes it easier to follow.
There are additional suggestions I plan to make but they require their own thread since they change some of the rules.

===

Rewrite Overdose Hyperdashes within a Slider
Overdose guideline:
Hyperdashes should only be used on drops and/or slider repetitions when the slider path is simple and easy-to-follow. This is to prevent chaotic or unreasonably difficult slider movement, as transitioning into and out of complex slider shapes with hyperdash is usually uncomfortable to play, and a major penalty to accuracy for little benefit.

Change to:
Hyperdashes within a slider should simple and easy to follow. Hyperdashes in complex slider shapes can be uncomfortable to play while maintaining accuracy.

===

Clarify meaningless guideline
Platter Guidelines:
Hyperdashes that are basic-snapped may be used in conjunction with antiflow patterns.
Read that guideline again and try to figure out why it's in the RC.

It's the only rule/guideline in the RC that is completely meaningless without its supporting information:

If used, the spacing should not exceed a distance snap of 1.2 times the trigger distance when followed by a walk, or 1.1 times the trigger distance when followed by a basic-snapped dash.
It should be reworded so only the bold part needs to be read to have a clear rule/guideline in place.
If hyperdashes are used in conjunction with antiflow patterns, the distance to the next object should not be too difficult. The distance should not exceed 1.2 times the trigger distance when followed by a walk, or 1.1 times the trigger distance when followed by a basic-snapped dash.
Note that I removed basic-snapped from here, it's part of the next post will explain later.

===

Remove OD from the suggested difficulty section.
Old:
Approach Rate / Overall Difficulty should be between X and Y.
Change to:
Approach Rate should be between X and Y.
It's stated that OD should be the same as AR elsewhere in the RC, there is no need to suggest make suggestions for what it should be if AR is being suggested.

===

Combine salad rules
Salad Rules:
- Hyperdashes of any kind are disallowed. This is to ensure a manageable step in difficulty for novice players.
- Edge dashes must not be used. They require extremely precise timing which cannot be expected of less-experienced players.

New:
- Hyperdashes and edge dashes are disallowed. This is to ensure a manageable step in difficulty for novice players.
Just makes sense to bundle them when their reasons are the same.
Benita
I've always said the RC is really wonky to read, especially for non-natives, but my lacking english skills makes it hard to figure out how to simplify it. Good to see someone is taking initiative! Good job Sinnoh.
Okoayu
threw this at the catch diffspecific rewrite and moved it to finalized / denied due to inactivity