forum

Hello i just started taiko

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
15C
Hi, i just started playing taiko, what are some tips to learn easier, like looking in the middle of the screen (still mastering that)
also, do i need a tatacon drum if i want to impress people at arcades? if you use a keyboard and then suddenly use drum at taiko arcade is it possible that you can still read notes and do patterns properly
I use kddk layout hyrbid alt btw
if its easier (or not easier) with a drum can you tell me the pros and cons of kbd vs drum
also some futsuu/muzukashii maps if its possible?

Thankyou in advance
Jason X
First time I played taiko in an arcade sure was a way different feeling, but with the 2nd song I played I already had no problem playing Muzukashii diffs (While being able to do Inner diffs with keyboard)

If you really wanna be good at the arcade/with a taiko controller (tatacon) then you'd have to buy one and use it on a regular. If you'd only use it like once per month it wouldn't be worth it I guess.

Pro/con of a tatacon:
(Some I can think of and my personal opinion, other opinions might vary)
Pro:
- It looks really cool if someone is actually good with it.
- Not too many players here use a drum controller, so you sure would be unique in a way.

Con:
- If you got thin walls chance is you'll annoy someone with the volume of playing (hitting the drum controller).
- You'll have to learn to full-alt most patterns, or else you won't really progress past Muzukashii diffs, especially starting to hit follow-up patterns (often 1/4 patterns) with the off-hand is a thing you'd need to get used to in that case.

As for the Futsuu/Muzukashii maps, have you looked at TBT yet? Might be something there that interests you :)
Topic Starter
15C

Jason X wrote:

First time I played taiko in an arcade sure was a way different feeling, but with the 2nd song I played I already had no problem playing Muzukashii diffs (While being able to do Inner diffs with keyboard)

If you really wanna be good at the arcade/with a taiko controller (tatacon) then you'd have to buy one and use it on a regular. If you'd only use it like once per month it wouldn't be worth it I guess.

Pro/con of a tatacon:
Pro:
- Not too many players here use a drum controller, so you sure would be unique in a way.

Con:
- If you got thin walls chance is you'll annoy someone with the volume of playing (hitting the drum controller).
- You'll have to learn to full-alt most patterns, or else you won't really progress past Muzukashii diffs, especially starting to hit follow-up patterns (often 1/4 patterns) with the off-hand is a thing you'd need to get used to in that case.

As for the Futsuu/Muzukashii maps, have you looked at TBT yet? Might be something there that interests you :)
hi :) since this post i've actually started doing oni difficulty on osu, and i can do oni/muzikashii on Taiko no Tatsujin: RHythm Festival.
Ofc, with the game i got the drum. Its the official Nintendo switch Hori drum, and it sure is loud
it does look cool tho when you do crazy patterns, insanely hard to get calibration right
I think it will be worth it when i go to the arcade to play
npc_BeaniCraft

luminar wrote:

Jason X wrote:

Pro/con of a tatacon:
Pro:

Con:

hi :) since this post i've actually started doing oni difficulty on osu, and i can do oni/muzikashii on Taiko no Tatsujin: RHythm Festival.
Ofc, with the game i got the drum. Its the official Nintendo switch Hori drum, and it sure is loud
it does look cool tho when you do crazy patterns, insanely hard to get calibration right
Q: have you modded your tatacon yet?
trust me. it's not just something that you can do, but something you have to do.

PaulThePink
I bought a Tatsujin drum and used it once. I don't recommend it unless it's a real arcade drum but those are so expensive.
Topic Starter
15C

BeaniCraft wrote:

luminar wrote:

Jason X wrote:

Pro/con of a tatacon:
Pro:

Con:

Q: have you modded your tatacon yet?
trust me. it's not just something that you can do, but something you have to do.

i haven't. what does it do? like do you mean putting in that wood thing?
aceticke

luminar wrote:

Hi, i just started playing taiko, what are some tips to learn easier, like looking in the middle of the screen (still mastering that)
also, do i need a tatacon drum if i want to impress people at arcades? if you use a keyboard and then suddenly use drum at taiko arcade is it possible that you can still read notes and do patterns properly
I use kddk layout hyrbid alt btw
if its easier (or not easier) with a drum can you tell me the pros and cons of kbd vs drum
also some futsuu/muzukashii maps if its possible?

Thankyou in advance
I find it's preference where you look and it actually varies greatly depending on the scroll speed of the map you are playing, I would go with what is most comfortable to you and adapt your own strengths upon that.

If you are looking to play in arcades, it's better to actually go there often and play there instead, it's more cost effective and TnT machines tend to play differently than osu!taiko. It is possible to read them and play properly, but it can take some adjustment. It is generally easiest for kddk full-alt players, as it's the easiest to play with drum sticks.

Keyboards and tatacons both have their own benefits, but keyboard is usually the way to go, they are cheaper and can be hit much faster, unless you buy a tatacon which you can roll on, like a Taikoforce. Not only that, but you don't need as much desk/room space for them.

Here are some personal picks for Futsuu and Muzukashii maps, picked from recently ranked mapsets:

beatmapsets/1918732#taiko/3959512
beatmapsets/1958895#taiko/4058552
beatmapsets/1963582#taiko/4082200
beatmapsets/924673#taiko/1945488
beatmapsets/1956955#taiko/4054038
beatmapsets/1897914#taiko/3985542