forum

Rate the mapping technique - Round 8: Patternmap (distance)

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

5 - Love it!
29.81%
21.74%
26.09%
9.94%
1 - Hate it!
12.42%
Total votes: 161
Topic Starter
Pasonia
Patternmap is a term that refers to objects, in keeping patterns in mind, goes either increasingly (or more uncommonly, decreasingly) distant. This technique has the advantage of keeping a momentum in a tune running during that section of a map, but incorrect patternmapping can lead to an almost unplayable map.

Examples picked out from Haru - Voyage 1969 (Instrumental) [Hard]

02:52:00 (2,3,4,1,1,2,3,4,1,1,2,3,4,1)

Wojjan
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
0_o
I love these

and I love Boten Anna

so there
kingcobra52
1. Why didn't you ask/pm me if it was ok before making this topic? (especially if you're going to continue from where I left off not even an hour after I made round 7)

2. If you haven't noticed, I have a nomination list that I planned to go down after round 7 concluded. You could've nominated this technique instead and it would've been the topic for round 11.

3. As tempting as it is to delete this topic, I'll let it slide and work around it.

...With that out of the way, I don't use this technique often, but I've liked all the times I've seen it used, so I'll 5.
Derekku
If you're going to do this, at least allow revotes ddddd
anonymous_old

lukewarmholiday wrote:

Because she's pasonia.
Yeah.

Nexy does these well. Nexy's pretty awesome at jumps in general. I haven't seen this outside of a Nexy map, though. 5/5.
Ekaru
I disagree. Sorry, but Nexy is why I gave this a 1. Gotta love differing opinions, eh?
Derekku

strager wrote:

lukewarmholiday wrote:

Because she's pasonia.
Yeah.

Nexy does these well. Nexy's pretty awesome at jumps in general. I haven't seen this outside of a Nexy map, though. 5/5.
This, except I have seen some people do jumps like this. They're always awesome.
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Pasonia
I just decided to hop on the bandwagon.

luke, any one of your posts on here will be removed on sight. I can't stand the sight of you and your trolling ways.
Lesjuh
Not voting but, I really love Starrodkirbypatterns <333
Ivalset
Wow, I can't believe Pasonia would do such a thing.

I'll wait for kingcobra's next topic.
Nachy
I love these.
Ekaru
For those wondering, I deleted an earlier post, but luke saw it and responded to it. I just pointed out how there was no bandwagon. So no one thinks luke triple posted.
Daru

I love these; they have that "See? Beatmapping is an art!" feel to them.
Gens
Can the "squiggly" sliders count as a mapping technique? :>
I won't give examples/screenshots because they're well known. (I might have to do it though...)

Also, I 5'd 'cause they're awesome.
Wizard Of Orz
pasonia steals everything

Pasonia wrote:

I just decided to hop on the bandwagon.
what bandwagon? A bandwagon of 1 (now 2)?
Mogsy

They have potential but are too often incorrectly used. This is definitely a situational technique and many people never seem to pull it off at the right time.
Topic Starter
Pasonia
Click only if you're agreeable to my opinions.

SPOILER
KC and I had a talk and he was fine with the thing. We're both okay with it. So what's it to you guys? I can't help find a mapping technique and have it up for discussion too? Or must it be by a set group of people?

Why would I "steal"? This sort of thing is just waiting for discussion, why would I steal a discussion?

Luke, I don't know what the f*** happened to you, but I don't like the way you are now. Call it personal maybe, but everyone who's known you for a while knows you've changed for the worse. You like to troll now, and I don't know why for.

I worked my ass to get to a moderator position, that's why I am one. This is the same for the rest who wants to be a mod. Note, "want" is a huge hint word, but so is "work".

I gave this a 4. I've seen patterns that were made to fit the rhythm of the song, especially when Nexy does it. I also used this technique for my difficulty on Amane - Eternal Fullmoon, except mine changed from clockwise to counterclockwise. That was way before I knew patternmap so yea...

But still, when mapping some people like to abuse it to make impossible jumps, and that's the one pitfall for patternmap.
vytalibus
Ignoring the "<insert mapper's name here> did it well/poorly; hence my score" comments since they are biased opinions in relation to the topic being questioned and voted upon. People, we are questioning the TECHNIQUE, not its USE PER MAPPER.

I do fancy some jumps like these on maps, but over-use of this can lead to a question on the part of the mapper: "did s/he run out of patterns or something to add?"

Three for me.
show more