forum

Does anybody know how I can improve in mania?.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SmileyStyles
I have been trying to improve in mania, and I think I am doing something wrong. I feel like everybody is progressing faster than me. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have bad keybinds? (Current keybinds are A,S, Numpad5, Numpad6) Do I have a bad skin?
Dementedjet
Well the key to getting better in this stage is probably patience, a little bit of experimenting with keybinds and skins.
There are a lot of guides and tips, but other than that, you progress at your own pace, so take your time to improve
Wimpy Cursed
It could be your skin, though I have no clue on how it looks like.

It also takes time to improve at this game and people improve at certain rates. There is no need to worry about how fast you improve compared to others, that will just develop a bad mindset if you continue to think that.

Try to take breaks as well from time to time if you already don't.

Try looking at patterns you are really bad at compared to your skill in other patterns.
Practice those patterns, even if you got to play on a lower star rating, you'll still improve as you slowly go up.

For example, I was bad at streams and tech, so I practiced streams a lot and practiced tech on Etterna although every map I played was lower star rating than what I usually play at. Right now I am performing the best I ever have after taking a 3 day break from mania and practicing for another 3 days specially in streams and tech. My skill in other patterns somehow improved as well from it.

I do hope this changes your thinking in a way on how you improve. If you really do feel like it is your skin holding you back btw, search for more.
Stickman92

Wimpy Cursed wrote:

It could be your skin, though I have no clue on how it looks like.

It also takes time to improve at this game and people improve at certain rates. There is no need to worry about how fast you improve compared to others, that will just develop a bad mindset if you continue to think that.

Try to take breaks as well from time to time if you already don't.

Try looking at patterns you are really bad at compared to your skill in other patterns.
Practice those patterns, even if you got to play on a lower star rating, you'll still improve as you slowly go up.

For example, I was bad at streams and tech, so I practiced streams a lot and practiced tech on Etterna although every map I played was lower star rating than what I usually play at. Right now I am performing the best I ever have after taking a 3 day break from mania and practicing for another 3 days specially in streams and tech. My skill in other patterns somehow improved as well from it.

I do hope this changes your thinking in a way on how you improve. If you really do feel like it is your skin holding you back btw, search for more.
"It also takes time to improve at this game and people improve at certain rates. There is no need to worry about how fast you improve compared to others, that will just develop a bad mindset if you continue to think that." - Wimpy Cursed

You worded it better than I ever could.
Pckables
If you want to really focus on how and why people are "improving faster" than you, the answer is simpler than it seems.

They just play more.

While everything everyone said is true and would help with improvement, at its core, improvement is heavily tied to how often/much you play.

With 700-900 monthly plays, you're certainly playing enough to improve, but its always going to be slower than someone who has 2000+ monthly plays just from the sheer fact that they're playing twice as much as you.
This shouldn't discourage you, but you shouldn't compare yourself to others with this in mind (or in general, really).

One other factor that also should be taken into account:
It looks like you started essentially brand new to VSRGs, and appropriately started at SR1.
Many people who come to Mania often do so after having spent months in other games (Etterna, Robeats, FnF).
Since they have prior experience, they often start somewhere between 2*-4*, which makes them seem like they're improving faster than they actually are.
In reality, they just spent their first steps somewhere else.
Stomiks
You shouldn't compare other people's progress in the game. It's just gonna be a recipe for disaster.

As always, everyone improves the different rates. It may take someone 1 month and one may take 3 months. It looks like you recently started playing so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be sure to balance your skillset as you improve and play the game.
15C

Stomiks wrote:

You shouldn't compare other people's progress in the game. It's just gonna be a recipe for disaster.

As always, everyone improves the different rates. It may take someone 1 month and one may take 3 months. It looks like you recently started playing so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be sure to balance your skillset as you improve and play the game.
Completely true. It is also the case that some people play different vsrgs that can cause them to progress faster, such as etterna and quaver, as pckables said i just realised
personally i've been playing std for the past few months, and only started playing mania A few weeks ago.. you'll get there :P
shp
Stomiks

shp wrote:

Pckables wrote:

If you want to really focus on how and why people are "improving faster" than you, the answer is simpler than it seems.

They just play more.
this is probably true but it's certainly not always the case. i've seen multiple people surpass me while playing half as much. improvement is really complex in reality.
I know this sounds completely generic but it's most likely genetics.
Stickman92

Stomiks wrote:

shp wrote:

Pckables wrote:

They just play more.
this is probably true but it's certainly not always the case. i've seen multiple people surpass me while playing half as much. improvement is really complex in reality.
Also, they could be better at improving at the game. Instead of smashing their head against a brick wall, they get a pickaxe and break it down.
15C

Stomiks wrote:

shp wrote:

Pckables wrote:

They just play more.
That is also true, though practice will usually come out on top out of every method of getting better, genetics still plays a huge part.
Since you might have a natural knack for rhythm games
you might have stronger fingers
you might be able to identify polyrhythms better than the average person
you might have a better sense of the beat
Stomiks

luminar wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

shp wrote:

Pckables wrote:

They just play more.
That is also true, though practice will usually come out on top out of every method of getting better, genetics still plays a huge part.
Since you might have a natural knack for rhythm games
you might have stronger fingers
you might be able to identify polyrhythms better than the average person
you might have a better sense of the beat
But hey, if you play more than the genetically talented, you'll eventually be able to surpass them!