forum

ln ends

posted
Total Posts

how should lns work?

osu!mania style (ln ends have a full judgement and not letting go in time gives a 200 at best)
81.82%
stepmania / etterna / ddr style (the game only cares if you release it too early. releasing too early gives a non clear judgement or if this were to be implemented into o!mania it would give a miss)
18.18%
Total votes: 22
Topic Starter
dight_
do you think ln ends should have actual judgements (osu!mania style) or should is work like in most other vsrgs where the game only cares if you released your key around the time or after the ln ends? i personally think the latter is better. i think the current way lns work makes a lot of ln centric maps really annoying to play. maybe this is why so many osu!mania players like me hate ln so much. idk. what do you think?
Nene Sakura
I think different ln judgement style helps to bring about different ln mapping style, so I'd not judge which is better cuz people have different preference. Personally I prefer playing ln release maps so I love osu!mania or o2 ln system more, many of these maps become meaningless if you play them without end judgement.
Stickman92
I thought games like stepmania are rice-focused, so their LN's work differently. Osu!mania got Rice & Noodle mapping styles, so full judgement is good.

I enjoy LN, so I prefer how it is atm. Although to be fair, if I was a 4k player, I would probably dislike LN maps.
Topic Starter
dight_

Stickman92 wrote:

I thought games like stepmania are rice-focused, so their LN's work differently. Osu!mania got Rice & Noodle mapping styles, so full judgement is good.

I enjoy LN, so I prefer how it is atm. Although to be fair, if I was a 4k player, I would probably dislike LN maps.
oh yeah i only play 4k so that's probably at least partly why i don't like ln maps. they'd probably be better in 7k because of the extra lanes that keep it from feeling annoying or too spammy
UltraBlack
I believe lns are one of the things that make mania be mania, mostly for 4k, the same way o2jam does to 7k,l. I can't recall any rhythm game with the much usage of lns that we do. Also, following the mind that mania was supposed to follow the songs, what kind of sense it makes to hit only the start of a continuous note? Its like having only the first touch of a viilin in a chill song, it would make literal no sense.
heipizhu

UltraBlack wrote:

I can't recall any rhythm game with the much usage of lns that we do.
Emm, Kalpa does have some Ln-density maps, but it does not have an om style judgement anyway
Quotient

UltraBlack wrote:

I believe lns are one of the things that make mania be mania
That
Stomiks

Quotient GD wrote:

UltraBlack wrote:

I believe lns are one of the things that make mania be mania
That
I do hope they make some changes with LNs though. LNs are the most enjoyable part of mania for me and I'd hate it for them to be only made for pp maps.
Hoshimegu Mio
Daily complaint of “I hate LN because I suck at them LMAO”.
Quotient

Stomiks wrote:

...and I'd hate it for them to be only made for pp maps.
What do you mean? There are at least hundreds of LN based maps out there just for tournament purposes, which are not meant for ranked at all. pp maps are just a by-product because of the SR system.
Stomiks

Quotient GD wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

...and I'd hate it for them to be only made for pp maps.
What do you mean? There are at least hundreds of LN based maps out there just for tournament purposes, which are not meant for ranked at all. pp maps are just a by-product because of the SR system.
That sounded more hyperbole than I expected, so sorry if it didn't come off the way I intended it to be. But what I meant was that I'd hate it if a large majority of LN maps are being made just to farm pp off of it.