forum

[invalid] Genre-specific Multiplayer Rooms

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
Phyrearms
This request is pretty straightforward:
Create rooms in multiplayer that feature only a specific genre of song, automatically chosen at random. This will allow players to join a room and consistently play beatmaps featuring music they're in the mood for, instead of waiting for users to pick beatmaps of other, different genres giving players an incentive to leave.

Who?
I think I speak for many players when I say that nobody has the same taste in music, and because of that, maps chosen by room masters often don't match with every player's personal taste in a multiplayer room, causing some players to leave and wait around in the lobby for a different room, or just go back to single player or quit.

Why?
It rids players of the anxiety of joining multiplayer when they can be confident the music that will be chosen will fit what they feel like playing. For example, if I felt like playing J-pop maps, I'd join the J-pop room. That would allow me to find new J-pop songs I hadn't already downloaded, which increases my ranked score, and creates an opportunity to interact with other users at the same time. If I felt like game music, I'd join that room, etc.

The current situation can make playing multiplayer tedious: A player joins a room, stays for a couple songs, then leaves again when the master chooses a song or map he/she doesn't like. And we all know when one player leaves, then another one does, and another and another...

How?
I'm no programming genius and greatly respect those who have the mind for programming. I imagine opening the Multiplayer Lobby and being presented with a list of pre-made rooms, each with a genre. The player joins, the maps are selected automatically, everyone is happy finding new music they enjoy.

Now does that sound great, or does that sound great? :P
Let's hear what everyone thinks!
uzzi
Couldn't one just name the room with whatever genre of music that is playing?
Oinari-sama
Yes Room Name will be plenty. Current mp search system only covers Room Name and Song/Artist/Difficulty anyway, so renaming the room will be your best bet.
Ryu Sei
Won't effective for unranked beatmaps.
deadbeat
Oinari-sama pretty much sums this up