forum

Lamaze-P - Blushing Phenomenon 100%

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SomeFatWhiteGuy
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Thursday, December 26, 2013 at 8:24:13 PM

Artist: Lamaze-P
Title: Blushing Phenomenon 100%
Tags: vocaloid lamaze japanese love
BPM: 150
Filesize: 20845kb
Play Time: 05:01
Difficulties Available:
  1. Insane (4.85 stars, 759 notes)
Download: Lamaze-P - Blushing Phenomenon 100%
Download: Lamaze-P - Blushing Phenomenon 100% (no video)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is my first beatmap. Please tell me what you think, whether it's something that is done right or somethign that should to be changed. I also welcome any guest mappers for any difficulties. If no-one wants to map an easy/normal beatmap, then I'll do it myself sometime.
BusterBeachside
Been wanting to map this song myself, so I'll just guest diff. this one if yours doesn't already contain a lot of serious problems. :D As this is your first map I don't expect it to be perfect, but I'll let you know what you can do to fix it! I'll leave another post in a second with a mod!
BusterBeachside
Not too bad! Let me start with the easy stuff first.

Firstly, this is always a useful link: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Ranking_Criteria
Best to follow that even if you're not going for ranking, as it really helps dramatically improve a map's quality!

- The name of the song is actually "Blushifying Phenomena 100%". Totally strange, I know. :p

- Your MP3's quality is too high. :? The highest bitrate allowed is 192. Yours is 256. Honestly, 192 is still very good quality, but it keeps the file size MUCH lower. It's easy to change an MP3's bitrate using a program like Audacity. Once it's at 192, you might have to re-do your offset, but the BPM and everything will remain the same.

- Your video is... pretty bad. I see that's it's the maximum possible widescreen width within the ranking criteria (Why is this within the rules but not the MP3?), but the quality is SO bad... What program did you use to remove the audio? Or otherwise, how did you re-render it (As in, video codec, etc.)? I've played plenty of maps with BG video, but most of them look just fine compared to this. I think whatever program you used to remove audio must have somehow destroyed the quality. :o For reference, see this map: http://osu.ppy.sh/b/121651 The video stays within the criteria, but has better quality AND lower file size. You could probably find a good guide on the forums for the best programs and methods for editing videos, or if that sounds like too much work, I could try to figure it out for you (I admit I've never edited a video for osu! maps before, but I HAVE done a lot of video editing for my YouTube channel, so I know my way around the subject).
-- On that note, might I suggest instead using this video?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxJ9X9_h ... wA&index=1
It's basically the same thing as what you have, but it has English subtitles in the style of the original video. I think it would be a nice upgrade. :D But, whatever you wanna do!

- The difficulty spread throughout the map is really uneven. That is to say, some parts are very easy, while others are suddenly insanely tough. It's true that you have a lot of freedom with how you want to map when it's an Insane difficulty, and it's not a bad thing to spike the difficulty of the map a little bit near the end, but this is a bit too much, I think. My main concern is with the huge distance increase from the regular parts to the chorus. It's tough enough with the constant jumps, but the map then goes on to throw lots of confusing and complicated patterns at you. For example:

02:51:670 (1,2,3,4,5,6)

04:42:070 (1,2,3,4,5,6)

And here's one that isn't even during the jumps:

01:55:070 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12)

Compare these parts with these ones, too:

00:26:870 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8)

02:12:670 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4)

There's a HUGE difference in difficulty between the parts. Like I said, it makes sense to jack up the difficulty near the end of the song or the chorus, but I feel like this is a bit of an overkill on it.

Of course, do take those with a grain of salt. I realize there were a lot of these kinds of patterns, and it's acceptable for them to be in an insane difficulty. But I personally think that having the rest of the map that easy before upping the difficulty that much flows really badly. If it were me, I would probably do away with the 1.5 slider speed and just try to re-map it with an acceptably higher difficulty. And let's not forget about the 2.0 you threw it at 04:35:670 (5). On that note:

04:35:270 (1,2,3,4,5) - This entire shape is completely unacceptable. I understand what you were trying to accomplish, but the spacing difference makes it all too hard to read. Experienced players read notes almost exclusively from their spacing. The approach circle might as well not even be there. That's why I and many others find the Hidden mod to be much easier than the others, since all it does is erase the approach circles (Well, and the notes fade out, but that actually kinda helps, I think). Anyway, with that in mind, the proximity of these notes makes them nearly impossible to read. If they were all the same distance away (A series of equidistant jumps, maybe), then it would be readable, but since it's all different, it's not. Talking about this, the map is also pretty light on streams in general, and I really love what you did with this pattern:

03:22:470 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)

Personally, I think it would make sense to make it like this, and eliminate those spacing issues.

there are a few other nitpicks I'd like to point out about the map as it is now, but I'm kind of out of time, I need to go. xD Plus, there's plenty to wade through here already. If you can fix the MP3 bitrate and video quality issues at the very least, I'd love to start mapping some difficulties for this map! And please keep in mind that this is constructive criticism, not me trying to make you feel bad or anything. There are plenty of sections in the map that were really fun, but obviously there's no need to change those parts, so I didn't point them out. :)

Good luck! I adore this song, and I really think it would make a great osu! map!

EDIT: A couple other little things about the map's meta data:
- Remove lamaze from tags, it's already in the title
- Add tsundere to tags? xD The original creator pretty much admitted it's supposed to have tsundere elements in it... I would've included it had I mapped the song myself. :p
- Dat long song. Five minutes! Most people who are doing their first map can't get through a longer song like this. I know I gave up on a few "first attempts" before I finally finished a 2:30 song.
- Hitsounds. Seems like they only exist during or near the chorus. Hit sounding your map is important! Bt I'll give specific example another day.
- These videos can be extremely helpful to new mappers. Even I've learned a lot from them. The stuff the have there now is great, and they're adding more all the time: http://www.youtube.com/user/osuacademy/videos (Might wanna start at episode 7 since the rest of the videos are about account creation and other completely-new-to-the-game tutorials)