forum

Possible Reasonings for Catch's Popularity

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[ Sebastian ]
This was originally just going to be a reply to someone on this thread. But I decided to turn it into an entire thread due to its size. Enjoy!

I have some theories as to the possible reasonings for Catch's popularity. Or more accurately, Catch's unpopularity.

There are less catch maps being ranked than other gamemodes
According to this website given by the official Osu! wiki, there were a total of 351 catch beatmap sets ranked in 2022. That's a far cry from Standard which had 2873 beatmap sets ranked in 2022. Followed by Taiko with 1119 beatmap sets and Mania with 890 beatmap sets. Yes, Catch had under half of the beatmap sets ranked than the 2nd lowest did. Even if these stats were not true, you can tell from the beatmaps page that Catch maps aren't ranked as much as other gamemodes, especially Standard.

People don't consider Catch an actual rhythm game
This one was brought up in the forum mentioned before by Edgar_Figaro, so credit to him for this one. People don't consider Catch a rhythm game like the other gamemode because their logic is "In Standard, you click circles to a beat. In Taiko and Mania, you tap your keys to the beat. But in Catch, you just tap and hold keys to make a character move, so it isn't an actual rhythm game". As a result of this, to some people, pro Catch players aren't seen as impressive as pros of other gamemodes.

This is all I could come up with right now. If you have any other possible theories, reply with them here so that I can add them to the original post (With credit of course). Catch being the least popular gamemode isn't all bad. Like for example, Catch players are closer as a community because of how small we are compared to Standard and such. Anyways, see you later!
Nikolai
why do you care

also ctb is based out of ez2catch
Topic Starter
[ Sebastian ]

Nikolai wrote:

why do you care
I don't really care that much, I just wanted to talk about theories I have surrounding it.

Nikolai wrote:

Oh, well in that case, I'll get rid of the first point.
Edgar_Figaro

Nikolai wrote:

why do you care

It is but it is the loosest association of any of the gamemodes.

Standard is Ouendan
Taiko is Taiko no Tatsujin
Mania is essentially every VSRG

While CTB has a loose association to EZ2catch the gameplay is very different unlike the other 3 modes.
RAISE MY SWORD
std - Standard
Mania - A lot of players have already played mania-like games before osu, easy for transitioning
Taiko - Also a popular arcade game
ctb - new concept, not rhythm-tapping game. Less likely to be transited from other gamemodes or rhythm games
Kasen-
hi, new CtB player here (just moved from mania around 1,5 month ago, still a mania main tho..). Most of your theories are right, when i just started playing Ctb i was wondering where is this "Rhythm game" concept in this mode, i mean u just need to move the catcher without relying on the beat at all. but as the difficulty goes up i started to understand that u need to sync ur catcher movement with the beat (especially dashing, etc)

most of the new player might have same first impression like me and decided to not play the mode further because of this lack of "Rhythm game" thingy at beginner level. that's what i think..
CatzerTM
We could probably have an hour long discussion on this topic that there probably aren't really any right or wrong answers to. But yeah, the general arguing point is that it may not fit neatly in the criteria for what is considered a traditional rhythm game, you aren't directly moving/tapping to the beat of the music in any way and it's only through gameplay is it even implied to have a rhythm-esq feel to it which is outside of what many persons who play rhythm games expect. The closest map I ever encountered that goes against is this old map I remembered playing a while back beatmapsets/887380#fruits/1855025 decently fun

Another thing that is brought up is it's probably a bit less beginner friendly, certain mechanics like dashing and hyperdashes likely aren't properly introduced to the player in any intuitive way besides the wiki or just straight up brute force which many players understandably aren't willing to do, other modes don't really have that extra level of complexity since ereything is clearer and straight forward. tap note to beat when it approaches the screen, hold long note and release until it ends, congrats you've learned everything you need to know.
In Catch there is a bit of a difficulty spike at around 3-4* which was definitely a big skill block I had to go through, precisely where those extra mechanics starts to become essential. You're kind of forced to instinctively know when to dash and for how long since you move at a base speed, being able to read and play complex patterns especially tech maps, and it can be very punishing if you manage to mess up making more frustrating.

For solutions, I'm not sure how the gamemode could be made more appealing to players especially with its reputation of being seen as a minigame and being an anomaly from a typical rhythm game without changing the core gameplay. I guess pushing more content on osu news like tournaments, mapping/art contest like what taiko did with somewhat recently its recent Featured artist cup to make the mode seem a little more accepted. but that's just my suggestion.