forum

metadata help/what sources for audio are considered reliable?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tachine Shin
im mapping the song STEPPING WIND from Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil and im having some trouble inputting artist metadata since i dont know what source to use. i've listed some choices here based on the sources i’ve found–which is acceptable? also, are some of the sources i’ve listed below considered reliable/what are some good sites for checking artist and song metadata

do I use the artists listed on music platforms,
  1. Kumiko Watanabe, Klonoa Series Sound Team (from recochoku, apple music)
  2. Kumiko Watanabe, Klonoa Series Sound Team, Bandai Namco Game Music, Kanako Kakino (from youtube)
or do I use the artist listed on track lists, (vgmdb.net)
  1. Kanako Kakino
or do I use the format for voice actors (since klonoa is singing the song) including / not including the composer?
  1. Klonoa (CV: Kumiko Watanabe) – Klonoa (CV: Kumiko Watanabe), Kanako Kakino

note
this set beatmapsets/4274 is a ranked set of the same song but im not sure if it could be considered a reliable source as (a) the audio is low quality (b) there are some metadata inconsistencies and (c) it is a very old set
Ryu Sei
YouTube counts as primary metadata source.
Topic Starter
Tachine Shin

Ryu Sei wrote:

YouTube counts as primary metadata source.
so is the below example acceptable?

Tachine Shin wrote:

do I use the artists listed on music platforms,
  1. Kumiko Watanabe, Klonoa Series Sound Team, Bandai Namco Game Music, Kanako Kakino (from youtube)
Ryu Sei
For further reading, you can read this: wiki/en/Beatmap/Primary_metadata_source

Do note that YouTube counts as primary metadata only if it's uploaded by the content owner or auto-generated by YouTube.
SaltyLucario
i dont think autogenerated yt uploads count as official source because well, theyre autogenerated, and thus dont come from the artists
Ryu Sei

SaltyLucario wrote:

i dont think autogenerated yt uploads count as official source because well, theyre autogenerated, and thus dont come from the artists
The wiki link I gave said otherwise.
An artist's website, their label's website, CD scans, and official uploads to websites like Bandcamp, YouTube, and SoundCloud are considered primary sources for beatmap metadata. Third party websites such as wikis, databases (vndb, vgmdb, etc.), and music services (Spotify, iTunes, Amazon, etc.) do not always reflect the artist's intention and should not be treated as primary sources.
Since it's auto generated, we can always assume the artist allows YouTube to generate it automaically and upload it. However, we can always trace the original source, in this case artist's products and metadata to find whichever is the most correct.
SaltyLucario
the thing it says upload by artist or their label, autogenerated upload is made by youtube so its no different than apple music or spotify
Ryu Sei
After reading it back (https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7636475), I think you're right. The auto-generated contents made due to the artist's significant presence on YouTube that doesn't have official artist account. However, here's an example:

The description of the video looks like this:
Provided to YouTube by ポニーキャニオン

色を喪った街 ~遺街~ · Camellia

灰の羽搏

℗ PONY CANYON INC.

Released on: 2023-02-15

Lyricist: Camellia
Composer: Camellia
Arranger: Camellia

Auto-generated by YouTube.

What does that mean? It means, that the label itself allows YouTube to generate the content for them, instead of having them upload by themselves. There are some reasons why it's separated from Camellia's official channel, likely due to licensing stuffs with the label or just for pure convenience. The artist doesn't necessarily hold the copyright fully, some also goes to the label owner.

With that said, YouTube provides enough metadata that counts as primary metadata source. I'm not sure why Apple and Spotify doesn't count as primary metadata, probably due to how them handling with metadata.