forum

[Archived] Baffled by inaccuracy of osu! ip lookup.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DeathByDarwin
Problem details:
I have a Dutch flag, Dutch citizenship, I live in the Netherlands and I have never been to Sweden ever in my life. I am one of the most Dutch people ever. Considering I live in the Netherlands I have a Dutch ISP. One of the screenshots shows a lookup of my ip on whatismyip.com. Nothing about it indicates that I live anywhere outside of the Netherlands. I checked similar sites and they all claim about the same (with the occasional site thinking I am in Amsterdam instead which is still Dutch). Yet the ip lookup service that osu! uses insists that I now live in Sweden. I guess it is a conversation starter in multiplayer but I regularly checked the list of online users in my country. I would rather not pay for a VPN just to regain access to that feature.

I know flag changes are not allowed anymore, but this is a little bit different so I want to take a shot anyway. Is there any possibility of making it so that I appear in the Netherlands again? I accepted that it will always think that I live in the wrong city so I can't use the 'nearby' list but I really want to keep using the 'country' list ingame.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

Screenshot showing that osu! thinks I am in the wrong country, like it is not even close to the border.

Screenshot showing an ip lookup on whatismyip.com. Everything about it indicates that my ip is closely tied to the Netherlands.

osu! version: Stable 20230206 (latest)
Blushing
Your country flag (the one that matters) is Netherlands. The one in game is through your ISP or something similar. Im not sure why you are talking about your flag, when it's Netherlands. If you live near a border or you ISP is through a Sweden service it can, possibly, because of that.
Topic Starter
DeathByDarwin
I tried to say that this is different from a flag change. I live in the middle of the Netherlands which is rather far away from the Swedish border. I use no VPN or proxy. The screenshot shows that my ISP is very Dutch (Nederland = The Netherlands).
Blushing
I mean sure this can be annoyance, but it doesn't really affect anything other than what people see in-game and in the rare case that the !where command would show you in Sweden.

Some service providers are based in other countries, even if they are located in your country. That's the only thing I can think of.
Topic Starter
DeathByDarwin
It does affect me because now I used to check the list of online users in my country a lot.