forum

[resolved] is torrenting beatmaps illegal?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CoffeeWinter175
Problem details: hi i accidentally downloaded beatmaps from 2011 and apparently i was torrenting and i saw that it might be illegal, so im wondering if i could be in any danger of being sued or in any sorts of trouble. im new to Pc and osu so i dont know what im doing. ( i hope it isnt illegal and sorry, im just a bit paranoid)

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Stable 20230206 (latest)
Ryu Sei
Torrenting as a process itself is not illegal, the content inside it that is being torrented might be.
Topic Starter
CoffeeWinter175

Ryu Sei wrote:

Torrenting as a process itself is not illegal, the content inside it that is being torrented might be.
thanks, so do you know if old beatmaps could be considered illegal?
Ryu Sei
Frankly, it's hard to determine whether the contents used in past ranked maps are allowed to be used from the respective authors as osu! beatmaps. Some beatmaps are blanked out (i.e have the audio deleted) due to the request of the content owner if you try to download normally from web.

If you want to play beatmaps with valid rights to use, you can simply download beatmaps with Featured Artists as the composer.

Alternatively, you can check individual beatmaps and see if the description shows the explicit statement from the content creators if it's allowed to use.

You can also see the individual artists or labels to see if they allow their contents to be used on osu!.
Topic Starter
CoffeeWinter175
sorry for asking but im just really paranoid and i dont want to get sued or anything like that but do you think that there is a high chance of me getting caught for doing this, again sorry for asking im just really nervous
chromb
torrenting is only illegal if you're downloading illegal content. while that is what it is normally for, torrenting itself is not illegal (and tbf the police have much better things to be doing). nobody's gonna be going after you because you downloaded some osu! beatmaps, but check with your ISP whether they allow p2p connections first.
Topic Starter
CoffeeWinter175

chromb wrote:

torrenting is only illegal if you're downloading illegal content. while that is what it is normally for, torrenting itself is not illegal (and tbf the police have much better things to be doing). nobody's gonna be going after you because you downloaded some osu! beatmaps, but check with your ISP whether they allow p2p connections first.

ok thanks, i torrented beatmaps a month ago without realising what it was, i dont think anything has happened yet. Thanks