forum

[Proposal] Specify maximum bit-depth and frame rate for videos.

posted
Total Posts

Should bit depth and frame rate limits be in place?

Yes
75.00%
No
25.00%
Total votes: 8
Topic Starter
FazlyMR_
Currently as of the time of writing, the Ranking Criteria only specifies the required format (H.264) and maximum resolution (with a width of 1280 and height of 720 pixels) for video content, but with recent developments such as HDR (High Dynamic Range) that requires specific additional standards/formats (HLG, HDR10, Dolby Vision) and higher bit depths such as 10 or 12 bits as opposed to the usual 8 bits, limits should be placed on the use of such formats as osu! does not officially supports HDR.

Also, with frame rate not being limited, in theory anyone can submit a beatmap with high frame rate video above 30fps or 60fps. Whether it causes problems for most users is to be seen though.

I propose that, in addition to the current format and resolution requirements, bit-depth must be limited to 8 bits and HDR formats must not be used (until osu! supports HDR sometime in the future) and frame rate be limited to a certain limit but I suggest 30fps or 60fps.

This is to make sure videos are limited to a criteria already known to work for most users and that such new features should be tested extensively before being allowed for ranked beatmap use.
Ryu Sei
Frame rate limit should be imposed to 60 fps, instead of 30. Most mappers will still use 30 fps and below due to upload size though, but personally I don't have any problems on 60 fps videos.

Other than that, additional clarification is always good.
Hotaru-
For me personally 60 fps for osu is quite overkill imo.

30 should be enough. I mean, for most part I believe that MV's are likely in either 24 - 30fps. To be honest, I didn't see any necessities to use 60 fps.

Clarity is always a good thing. Anyway, I definitely would love to see how this proposal goes.
h3oCharles
60fps is unnecessary IMO

specifying video bitrate might be handy, the maximum threshold should be around 1000 bitrate, but can differ with the complexity of it

some mappers like to give alternate downloads with better-quality videos that would otherwise ruin the file sizing, for example beatmapsets/1085461
Ryu Sei
With the presence of storyboarding, one can put .osb and the video in question to a separate download.

At least we should ban HDR and such to keep it simple. I'm indifferent with 30 or 60 fps, but if 60 fps still gives low file size (in rare case, such as simple animation), we shouldn't ban that. The hard limit should be 60 fps, but the recommended is 30 fps.