forum

Rate the mapping technique - Round 2: mirrored sliders

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

5 - Love them!
60.44%
30.22%
8.89%
0.44%
1 - Hate them!
0.00%
Total votes: 225
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
Round 2: mirrored sliders

These are pretty self-explanatory. Make a slider, then copy-paste it after the previous slider and flip it in a way such that you can draw a line of symmetry between them. They can be close like in the pic, or they can be placed far away and utilized as jumps.

Current Nominations:

Half-Backing
Etna sliders
Zig-zag slider jumps

(I'm aware that kiou2 sliders were also nominated, but I'm not sure about rating techniques only 1 person uses yet. It may discourage them)

Nomination requirements:
1. (Optional) A name for the technique (it can be an official name or one you make up)
2. An accurate description of the technique (or alternatively, a screenshot of the technique)
3. A ranked map that has the technique so I can see it in action.

After this poll concludes, I'll start going down the nominations. :)
Larto
They're cool and look good, and I use them often. But only if the sliders are perfectly symmetric. Half assed symmetric patterns make me cringe. What more can I say than that? Voted 5.
Lesjuh
I like these kind of sliders in most Larto maps (Auto-Tune news #5). They look great on these symmetrical maps. Voted 4 because it's not fun when used too much.
Derekku
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
CheeseWarlock
I don't think there's really such thing as a mapping technique that can never be used badly, but I'm still giving this one a 5.
awp
oh man these are mirrored sliders

I thought you meant large, styled sliders that are symmetrical around one or more axis. I think I did one of those in Grass Stains but I forget. It takes a fair bit of effort and co-ordination to get a slider to be symmetrical, in time, and nicely shaped. Those are professional, baby!
anonymous_old

Larto wrote:

They're cool and look good, and I use them often. But only if the sliders are perfectly symmetric. Half assed symmetric patterns make me cringe. What more can I say than that? Voted 5.
And yet I find myself fixing your sliders on every one of your maps I've modded. =]

I'm not sure what to say about this. In theory it's kinda cool but uh... Well I haven't played osu! in a long time to say.

When I read the topic title, I thought of sliders like these:

(1)____(_) (_)____(2)
or reversed or whatever. Would that be considered an example of "symmetrical sliders?" Same when both are angling downward or something (ignore's difficulty on Boozehound has this I think).
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
...Yeah. Mirrored sliders sound better. Changed.
Mogsy
5; it looks neat and professional, but used in excess, like any technique, makes a map feel gimmicky. Oh well, I love this.
Zekira
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
eee
I love these sliders.
I'm pretty sure I use them sometimes, and they pretty much add to a maps intuitiveness most of the time
mm201
Gorgeous!

5'd
yeahyeahyeahhh
5'd. Makes the map look and feel clean right than half ass'd and ugly.
SteRRuM
5, It's looks too awesome xD.
Kubu
This sliders arent fun:3 But i like
YGOkid8
These sliders make the beatmap look very neat and pretty :)

5*
Gens
love 'em
specially when they're perfectly aligned
Doomsday
I use these a lot when I'm mapping. They tend to make nice jumps too (if done right)

theplayerbeta
I like this sliders, just awesome and easy 5/5