posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
npc_BeaniCraft
half-life 2, because of the source engine
179bpm
plague inc in real world terms
Aireunaeus
What does „aged really well“ mean in that context? Like games that went good and then bad when It got older?
If that’s the case then that would be Fortnite because it got boring
Hi_Im_Zoey
StarCraft Brood War game is like 23 years old and still got 20k active players online most days
also got remastered a few years back and now supports up to 4k resolution
I AM VERY SMART
Playing Kirby's Return to Dream Land with friends is the funniest experience ever!
Kaaruumii

Aireunaeus wrote:

What does „aged really well“ mean in that context? Like games that went good and then bad when It got older?
it just means games that are still good to this day like Skyrim or even games that got better over the years like No Mans Sky
Aireunaeus

Kaaruumii wrote:

Aireunaeus wrote:

it just means games that are still good to this day like Skyrim or even games that got better over the years like No Mans Sky
ah nice if that's the case, then Ghost of Tsushima would be it
Farfocele
Minecraft definately
Stomiks
portal series
Topic Starter
npc_BeaniCraft

Stomiks wrote:

portal series
can agree!
[ Sebastian ]
Marble Blast Gold

The visuals are outdated as hell, but it's very fun and I still enjoy it 21 years later.
Stomiks

BeaniCraft wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

portal series
can agree!
Yep. The portal series is still one of the best games ever even in modern times imo.
[ Sebastian ]

Stomiks wrote:

BeaniCraft wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

portal series
can agree!
Yep. The portal series is still one of the best games ever even in modern times imo.
Yes. Portal is such a fun game!
Karmine
A lot of late 90s-early 2000s 2D games, they aged much better than 3D games of that time.
Puppet
idk maybe mario bros ds the game is still the same as the switch version but different levels lol
synthwavesquid

[ Sebastian ] wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

BeaniCraft wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

portal series
can agree!
Yes. Portal is such a fun game!
i've played a load of games and i still consider the portal series one of the best
Nuuskamuikkunen

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Playing Kirby's Return to Dream Land with friends is the funniest experience ever!
Yep, indeed aged well after 12 years.

Several Mario games aged well too, like New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Galaxy, the latter even looks graphically decent to this date.

Super Paper Mario also aged extremely well, to the point that several of its quotes are still valid today and possibly the next decade.

Stomiks

eblf2013 wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Several Mario games aged well too, like New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Galaxy, the latter even looks graphically decent to this date.

Super Paper Mario also aged extremely well, to the point that several of its quotes are still valid today and possibly the next decade.

This is some nintendo employee's pain rn
Topic Starter
npc_BeaniCraft

Stomiks wrote:

eblf2013 wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

This is some nintendo employee's pain rn
"internal suffering"
Aireunaeus
Well, the flash games really aged well in the early days. i know, some games still exists with html5 but still. It doesn't feel the same after flash disappeared.
Stomiks

Aireunaeus wrote:

Well, the flash games really aged well in the early days. i know, some games still exists with html5 but still. It doesn't feel the same after flash disappeared.
If I think of flash games on a quality level, most of them definitely didn't hold up till now. My feelings towards a flash game are mostly just nostalgia over appreciation of the game being good.
Karmine

Stomiks wrote:

Aireunaeus wrote:

If I think of flash games on a quality level, most of them definitely didn't hold up till now. My feelings towards a flash game are mostly just nostalgia over appreciation of the game being good.
Yeah, a few of them were really cool and still hold up to this day but most were bad even for their time. We just remember the good times we had back then.
Aireunaeus

Karmine wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Aireunaeus wrote:

Yeah, a few of them were really cool and still hold up to this day but most were bad even for their time. We just remember the good times we had back then.
the only game i find the greatest are fireboy and watergirl
Neigdoig
Despite the smaller playerbase, Xonotic and 0 A.D., two open-source video games, have aged very well in terms of age. 0 A.D. started out as a mod for Age of Empires II in 2000-2001 (For those who like RTS games). After a few years, they would make it their own, and then they would release the source code under an FSF (Free Software Foundation) license (I think GPL if I'm not mistaken).

Xonotic is a GPL 2 licensed Arena Deathmatch shooter using the Darkplaces engine, a fork of the Quake version of Id Tech 1. For those that like Unreal Tournament, this one is a good alternative to consider. It's currently on 0.8.5, but it is super smooth, and good for lower-end hardware if done right.

In terms of proprietary games, I could probably say Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus (both the OG and R), which are fighting games, PC Building Simulator and Game Dev Tycoon, which are simulation games, SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle For Bikini Bottom and the Jak and Daxter series, all Collect-a-thon 3D Platformers, and, of course, you can't forget NES Tetris (there's the Classic Tetris World Championship [CTWC] which is the game's esport).
Jangsoodlor
osu!. I mean it's a 15 yo game and still going strong
Stomiks

Jangsoodlor wrote:

There's children in the game now.
Karmine

Stomiks wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

There's always been children, but the ones who started 15 years ago are old now
Also the difference is that now the game is older than the kids playing it
179bpm

Karmine wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

honestly osu is the only
seemingly non kid friendly website/game i know (besides genius) that allows kids
[ Sebastian ]

179bpm wrote:

Karmine wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

honestly osu is the only
seemingly non kid friendly website/game i know (besides genius) that allows kids
For some reason I thought you had to be at least 13 to make a Osu account.
179bpm

[ Sebastian ] wrote:

179bpm wrote:

Karmine wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

honestly osu is the only
“We are an all-ages community. This means that 18+/NSFW content such as drug use or topics of a sexual nature are not welcome here.” -the rules
Stomiks

[ Sebastian ] wrote:

179bpm wrote:

Karmine wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

honestly osu is the only
You had to be at least 13 to make an account anywhere
Karmine

Stomiks wrote:

[ Sebastian ] wrote:

179bpm wrote:

Karmine wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

honestly osu is the only
You had to be at least 13 to make an account anywhere
Afaik it's just US law, shouldn't apply to everyone.

Why would you think it's not kid friendly though? It's a game about clicking circles to the beat, a baby could play it.
StarlightFox
Honestly a lot of SNES games aged super well. If I didn't know anything about Yoshi's Island and you told me it was made in like 2005 or something I'd probably believe you.

Can't say the same about most early 3D titles from late 90's - early 2000s. It's kind of astounding how fast technology has improved in 3D games.
Gengar9nn
club penguin
Stomiks

Gengar9nn wrote:

club penguin
Unfortunately it isn't aging anymore
Gengar9nn

Stomiks wrote:

Gengar9nn wrote:

club penguin
club penguin rewritten
Stomiks

Gengar9nn wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Gengar9nn wrote:

club penguin
club penguin rewritten
Future legal trouble
Hotaru-

StarlightFox wrote:

Honestly a lot of SNES games aged super well. If I didn't know anything about Yoshi's Island and you told me it was made in like 2005 or something I'd probably believe you.

Can't say the same about most early 3D titles from late 90's - early 2000s. It's kind of astounding how fast technology has improved in 3D games.

100% agree with this.

I would also say that most of GBA games aged really well too.
Neigdoig
Most of the NES library has aged significantly well also.
-Koish-
far cry 2 and 3, bioshock
Daycore
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1173770/FINAL_FANTASY/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1552550/Castlevania_Advance_Collection/

these are absolutely perfect and very enjoyable games to me; final fantasy feels very calming and simple, comparing it with modern rpg maker games & castlevania gives you an insane challenge (especially circle of the moon) even nowadays after beating hollow knight steel soul or dead cells bc5
xMelonadex
Graphically speaking, TF2 and Crysis two games which were both released in 2007 have aged beautifully. And who could forget about osu!? the old graphics are charming and the gameplay is as relevant as ever!
I AM VERY SMART

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

I'm not changing this statement
Stomiks

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

I'm not changing this statement
wow very insightful post here guys just like all your other posts haha wow you truly bring something to this discussion
abraker
Tetris, Pacman, Galaga, Asteroids, Snake

Minesweeper, Pinball Space Cadet

Luxor, Peggle, Bejeweled, Worms World Party

Subway Surfer, Jetpack Joyride, Angry Birds, World of Goo, Plants vs Zombies, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope, Doodle Jump

Undertale, DDLC, VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, Fez, Cuphead
Aireunaeus

abraker wrote:

Tetris, Pacman, Galaga, Asteroids, Snake

Minesweeper, Pinball Space Cadet

Luxor, Peggle, Bejeweled, Worms World Party

Subway Surfer, Jetpack Joyride, Angry Birds, World of Goo, Plants vs Zombies, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope, Doodle Jump

Undertale, DDLC, VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, Fez, Cuphead
ooh havent heard of doodle jump for a loooooong time.