forum

Best of 2013 Chart Mappool

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AmaiHachimitsu
I have no idea whether should I put it here or future requests, but I think it's ok here.

The point is, I'd like this chart to really include "BEST" maps.

We all know how did it end last year, Gangnam Style won it with huge % difference to 2nd place (which shouldn't have been there too) and also we could notice that maps from the beginning of the <long as fuck> voting list were picked more often. This was, of course, mainly because of players' laziness. Many of them had already 10 picks when they reached half of the list.

This is certainly not the way it should be.

I have 2 suggestions for this year's Best of.. mappool.

Let BATs, mappers or/and experienced players choose the maps (with restriction that you can't vote for your map)

2. If you still think that popularity should play a role, we might as well do a second chart called "Most Popular" or sth like this.

We could also mix FFA voting with this more "PRO" voting and weigh their results.

If it stays like it was last year, I expect 8 maps based on OP/ED from Shingeki no Kyojin and the rest will be some extremely hard maps, newbies love them.

I hope you will support this idea and possibly, add your own suggestions.

Thank you,
Gigo
Only BAT's and experienced players? Can't noobs like myself make some suggestions? :(
silmarilen
#1-#5: something related to attack on titan
#6: image material
#7: pudding something by 0108
#8-#9: LeaF - I and heterochromia
#10: some RLC maps

good prediction? yes?
fartownik

silmarilen wrote:

good prediction? yes?
#1. Maps with the artist starting with a number, because they're first on the list.
RaneFire

silmarilen wrote:

good prediction? yes?
yes I'm pretty sure the point of this thread is to avoid this
buny

silmarilen wrote:

good prediction? yes?
#11 https://osu.ppy.sh/s/119980

though i actually do think the top is going to be swarmed with attack on titan maps
[Luanny]
yes pls. we don't want the fox to be first this year just because the song is popular
Me168

buny wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

good prediction? yes?
#11 https://osu.ppy.sh/s/119980

though i actually do think the top is going to be swarmed with attack on titan maps
#12: 2hu map

(Although I do want to see https://osu.ppy.sh/s/61590 put on the list, I really like that map a lot)
Xcrypt
I support this idea but you're going to have to define 'experienced players' properly
[Luanny]
more like experienced players AND mappers AND BATs
who understands better about maps than mappers and BATs and the ones who plays them the most?
kriers
foking elitism
buny

[Luanny] wrote:

more like experienced players AND mappers AND BATs
who understands better about maps than mappers and BATs and the ones who plays them the most?
a mapper and a player wouldn't be viewing the maps from the same perspective.
I do agree that more experienced players, at least a join date of over a year should be the minimum requirement to vote
RaneFire

buny wrote:

I do agree that more experienced players, at least a join date of over a year should be the minimum requirement to vote
Interesting point. If the only users allowed to vote are ones who have been around since the beginning of the year concerning the voting, it may produce slightly more accurate results. I think recently ranked maps receive a little too many votes compared to earlier ranks, similar to alphabetical bias.

The other point is that contemporary favourites will always make top of the list, because it does not matter when they were ranked, people are going to find and play them with the search function. But if you try to achieve a moderately unbiased voting, you would need to set some restrictions.

I have an idea:

A user can only vote for maps he/she has set a score on 1 of the difficulties. The reason is simple: Why vote a map as BEST OF THE YEAR, if you haven't played it to the finish at least once (you can even NF it).

This opens a new possible metric: Proportionate number of votes to number of ranks set by users. This way if not enough people vote for a Shingeki no Kyojin map because it is not the best, but has LOTS of ranks set, the result will be diminished because a higher number of users will be required to vote for it. Also MANY players do not even vote, and have played these maps, which would almost surely put it at the bottom of the list... :D lol... This would also let people feel ok to vote for Shingeki no Kyojin without feeling like they're screwing the results. On the flipside, less "popular" maps which receive a high compliment of votes will get some recognition.
darkmiz

RaneFire wrote:

I have an idea:

A user can only vote for maps he/she has set a score on 1 of the difficulties. The reason is simple: Why vote a map as BEST OF THE YEAR, if you haven't played it to the finish at least once (you can even NF it).

Why vote a map if you haven't played it at least 10 times (or more). I suggest a user can only vote for maps he/she has played over 10 times (or more).
fartownik
Better idea would be to announce 2 separate votings: one as "the post popular maps of 2013", basically the same voting as last year; and the new one: "the best maps of 2013", chosen by the mappers, experienced players, staff etc. invited thoroughly by the organizers to do so (with an obvious restrict not to vote for their own maps).
PlasticSmoothie

darkmiz wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

I have an idea:

Why vote a map if you haven't played it at least 10 times (or more). I suggest a user can only vote for maps he/she has played over 10 times (or more).
You can know if a map is good or not from the first playthrough, it doesn't take 10 plays on it.

I like Fartownik's idea
Zare

fartownik wrote:

Better idea would be to announce 2 separate votings: one as "the post popular maps of 2013", basically the same voting as last year; and the new one: "the best maps of 2013", chosen by the mappers, experienced players, staff etc. invited thoroughly by the organizers to do so (with an obvious restrict not to vote for their own maps).
Make sure that all people with experience are invited, not only those who have the same opinions as the inviting ones.
Best example: Aqo definitely is experienced but mayn people disagree with him. This shouldn't matter tho, he should be given the right to vote too
silmarilen
you guys are missing the point of "best maps of XXXX"
its about which maps the players enjoyed the most, not some elitist circlejerk list (and no, the vocal minority does not represent the whole playerbase).
you may disagree with the maps that get chosen, but that doesnt give you the right to remove people's ability to vote.
Topic Starter
AmaiHachimitsu
Enjoy the song or enjoy the map?

There will be a chart for those maps and I don't think it will be enjoyable to grind scores on maps where .mp3s make up their value.
silmarilen
stop pretending to be so ignorant

silmarilen wrote:

you may disagree with the maps that get chosen, but that doesnt give you the right to remove people's ability to vote.
show more