forum

any reason to not use lazer editor?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
powerplayer75
the lazer editor seems significantly better than stable so is there any reason people still use stable?
Ryu Sei
Because it's not stable.

I still struggling on how to use it on mania, but idk for other modes.
Stomiks
lazer isn't finished yet so problems could pop up
lewski
  1. you can't even upload maps from lazer
  2. the workflow is completely different because the interface is completely different and a bunch of keyboard shortcuts are different or just gone
  3. you need to have a timing point selected to hear the metronome in the timing menu at all
  4. lazer just refuses to play the first one or two metronome ticks after you unpause/scroll/breathe
  5. selecting a timing point instantly takes you to that timing point with no way to stay where you were before
  6. you can't select multiple timing points
  7. ctrl+z gets weird if you move an object with the arrow keys
  8. you can't rotate accurately if you don't want a multiple of 90° and mouse rotation doesn't even have the kind of snapping you'd have in any image editing program
  9. the rotation and flip hotkeys are gone
  10. the polygon tool doesn't exist
  11. hitsound samplesets and volumes don't work properly (I copied a slider with soft 70 and when I pasted the new slider had normal 100, and when I saved, exited, and reopened the map, the original slider had also been reset to normal 100)
  12. you can't right click objects to delete them
  13. the playfield is way smaller than in the stable editor, objects are noticeably smaller than in gameplay
  14. after you testplay a map in the editor you reenter the editor at the end of the map and if you press F5 or the test button again the song just resumes from there but there are obviously no objects because the map ended and the game doesn't pull you out of test mode even if the song ends
  15. the editor forgets your snap divisor every single time you exit
  16. bookmarks don't exist
  17. changing slider velocity SUCKS, the slider is tiny so you have to be really precise or just type it out
  18. there's an equivalent for green lines but you can't affect sv or hitsounds with them (in stable you can select multiple timing points and copy+paste them in a different spot to get the same sv changes or hs settings there, in lazer you currently have to do it all over again object by object or paste the actual objects and rearrange them)
  19. saving takes AGESSSSSS
  20. lazer takes ages to open
  21. changing slider curve types is janky
  22. you can't reload the map
  23. esc not doing anything it does in stable except exiting the map is actually driving me insane
I see no reason to map in lazer right now
Leviathan
hotkeys are gone and sliders can just... break
i have no idea why they do they just dont work on stable
Zelzatter Zero

Bossgodora wrote:

hotkeys are gone and sliders can just... break
i have no idea why they do they just dont work on stable
Slider anchors in lazer works very differently from stable. Lazer white anchor alone can be either perfect circle or bezier or catmull, while stable only supports perfect circle and bezier.
dopaminos

powerplayer75 wrote:

the lazer editor seems significantly better than stable so is there any reason people still use stable?
just a couple
https://github.com/ppy/osu/issues/12020 <--- HOTKEYS AND MANY OTHER LAZER PROBLEMS
https://github.com/ppy/osu/discussions/21494
https://github.com/ppy/osu/issues/21393
https://github.com/ppy/osu/discussions/21394

lazer editor is not finished yet and it need to fix some flaws to correspond stable.
lewski

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Slider anchors in lazer works very differently from stable. Lazer white anchor alone can be either perfect circle or bezier or catmull, while stable only supports perfect circle and bezier.
nah, the only actual difference is that you can have multiple perfect circle curve sections in one slider in lazer, the curve types you can't select in the stable editor can be used by editing the .osu file
ClevelandsMyBro
performance issue
MrMcMikey22
what i hate using the lazer editor the most was that you have to adjust every object manually on a lower volume but then a sliderend thinks oh it's volume 100 let's earrpe this that was literally why I don't wanna map on lazer right now....