forum

The osu!Wiki: An Initiative

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lust
Lately I have been referring to pages in the wiki for answers to certain questions. While doing so, I decided to take a look at some of the information myself and found many parts to be either out of date or entirely missing. This came as a shock to me as I thought as reliant on the wiki as osu! is, it should be at least relatively updated. This is not the case and something should be done about it.

Introducing:

1. The main purpose of this task force is to update, rework, and add to the existing osu!Wiki.
  2. This is NOT an organized and collaborative effort, if you see something that needs to be done and listed on this thread, then by all means go and work on it!
  3. There is no payment for helping out, the only reward would be the satisfaction of helping osu! and its community.
  4. This thread will be multiple posts long with plenty of reading, if you decide that it is in your best interest to flame or troll, I will not hesitate to call a moderator.

How to Edit and Use the osu!Wiki

The osu!Wiki works in the same way wikipedia does, anyone and everyone can edit it, providing you have a registered osu! account. The wiki provides the user with tools for formatting, but to someone without the proper information, he/she would be lost. Follow this guide to figure out how it works! Please take a look at the Common Editing Protocol page in the wiki for more information

General Formatting

You can edit any page fully by clicking the Edit page in the top right hand corner underneath the user panel.

Going to create or edit any existing page will bring up your standard text box.

In here you notice there are small boxes on top of the text, these are your formatting tools present in the wiki. Each has their own function (obviously). One thing to point out is that they are NOT similar in the way the forum works in regards to formatting. I will explain each and every piece so that you know how they work.

1. =Bold
    Clicking this button will bring up '''Bold text'''. Edit where it says Bold Text with the text you wish to be bolded and it will do so. Note that the formatting for bold is three ' as opposed to two or one. For example:
    How it will show on edit page:
    '''BATs''' can only bubble or rank maps.
    How it show on the page:

BATs can only bubble or rank maps.
  2. =Italicize
    Clicking this button will allow you to put emphasis on certain parts of your text. It will bring up ''Italic text''. Edit the part where it says Italic text to italicize your text. Note that the formatting for italics is two ' as opposed to three or one. For example:
    How it will show on edit page:
    ''Under no circumstances should these rules be broken.''
    How it will show on the page:

Under no circumstances should these rules be broken.
  3. =Internal Links
    Clicking this button will allow you to link users to other pages in the wiki that already exists without having to type out the full url. When pressed, it will bring up [[Link title]]. In the brackets put the title of the page you wish to link to. For example:
    How it will show on the edit page:

[[Beatmap Appreciation Team]]

BAT
  4. =External Link
    Clicking this button will allow you to link to pages that are located anywhere on the internet. Upon press, it will input this: [http://www.example.com link title]. Where it says the example link, put the url you with to link to (remember the http://). Afterwards put how you wish the link to appear. For example:
    the [https://osu.ppy.sh/p/pp osu! ranking leaderboards] shows where people place in the world!

the osu! ranking leaderboards shows where people place in the world!
  5. =Headline text
    Clicking this button will allow you to place a larger text, specifically text used to mark off sections. Use this font sparingly. When pressed, it will input == Headline text == on to your text box. Editing where it says headline text will put the text you wish. For example:
    == The Global Moderation Team ==

6. =Embedded File
    If you wish to embed a picture or file, use this. However to embed a file, you must first upload it using this page: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Special:Upload
    After doing so, click on the button. It will appear with [[File:Example.jpg]]. Edit the Example.jpg with the filename you just uploaded. The picture will appear on the page.
    If you wish to show the picture in a small box like shown in wikis, use this formatting: [[File:File.png|200px|thumb|left|description]] and change description to the actual description of the image or file. HOWEVER there are some rules that come with the upload page. You may not upload pictures not related to osu!, do not upload images with their extensions in capitals (image.JPG, video.MP4) they will create another page entirely, and upload only images with English characters in the file name. No unicode file names. If you need more information on this, please PM me.
  7. =File Link
    This does the same as above however it is only a link to the file and does not embed it on the page.
  8. =Ignore Wiki Formatting
    This button allows the wiki to skip wiki formatting for a specific part. So if you use wiki formatting for some reason, you can put it in this so that it doesn't appear on the page how it would be if wiki formatting was allowed. For example:
    How it show appear on the edit page:
    <nowiki>[[BAT]]</nowiki>
    How it would show on the actual page:

[[BAT]]
  9. =Puts a signature with a timestamp
    Clicking this will allow you to input a signature on documentation that requires it. Usually this won't be needed, but in cases that do you will need to know how to use this. For example:
    --~~~~ Lust
    How it will show on the actual page:

10. =Horizontal Line
    Inputs a horizontal line to separate sections. Use only when necessary.
Templates
You can use these templates to create certain functions in the wiki. Here is a list of usable templates.

Updating

This task is very easy to handle, only thing is going through the wiki and editing parts that need to be adjusted to osu! is today. That means any mentioning of old features, staff, options, or otherwise out of date information must be either removed and updated.

For example, if there is any mentioning of the old MAT team in regards to the ranking process, it must be removed and made so that only BATs can bubble and rank mapsets.

Example

Taken from the wiki:
a MAT or BAT can bubble your map, however only a BAT can complete the ranking process.
to

only a BAT can bubble and rank your beatmap.
So to reiterate, any old information must be updated or removed.

Nominating pages for deletion
Some pages are simply not needed. To nominate a page for deletion, edit the page and put {{Delete}} at the top of the page. use {{Delete|Your reason}} to specify a reason.

Reworking

The osu!Wiki has many instances of places that need grammatical errors fixed, formatting issues amended, and structure rebuilt. What I mean here is that in some documentation, areas that are of importance have mistakes that have otherwise been looked over and has not been fixed since. Your job is too find all errors and fix them.

Examples

1. Grammar: Any errors in official documentation (pages that appear on the wiki homepage and pages that are linked to from banchobot) must be fixed. There should be no instances of poor grammar or awkward syntax; pages should be easily read, clean, and thorough. No spelling mistakes should be found either.
  2. Formatting: Any errors in formatting should be fixed. Leaving these will look ugly and unprofessional. Watch out for instances of wrong or broken formatting. For example:
  3. Structure:All pages in the wiki should follow a similar structure throughout. That means it follows this guideline: a table of contents, actual content split up in to sections using correct headers and lines, any credits you wish to attribute to people, and related template boxes. Basically any official thread should look like this
If you find anything else that needs to be changed, report it on this thread.

Adding to the Wiki

The wiki needs content, and it especially needs new content. That means guides, information, and documentation that can be found anywhere not on the wiki.

1. Guides: Guides on the forums should be ported over the wiki. If you wish to add a guide to the wiki that is not yours, please contact the author of the thread for permission. Notable guides that are NOT ported over: First Time Beatmapping Guide, Advanced Timing (Text Version), Basic Storyboarding Guide, Skinning Guide, and How to Cut MP3s - Lossless
  2. osu! History: The history of osu! should be recorded for all of posterity. As of July 2013, nobody is updating it.
  3. Add Mapping Techniques:All known beatmapping techniques should be recorded in the wiki. Each technique should be adequately explained so that any new mapper can understand.
  4. Create Short Links: You can create short links for use in IRC. That means you do not need to type out the link every time you wish to link somebody to a page in the wiki! Information
  5. Create Wanted Pages: Pages that are shown here need to be created. This is because there are links to these pages that do not exist. Most of them are for different languages, but there are some that are in need of creating. Be careful not to create a duplicate page, check to make sure there are no infringements.
  6. Add Links to Contents Pages: all pages should be found on one contents page or another. This also means all pages should be sorted in to the correct categories. For example, guides should be in the guides category, anything related to storyboarding should go in thestoryboarding category, and so forth.
  7. Complete and unfinished pages: Any unfinished pages should be completed.
  8. Expand Stubs
  9. Vandalism: This isn't really any additions, but if you spot any cases of wiki vandalism, please report it to a moderator.
Note that these are not in any order or priority, all should be done.

Language Localization

osu! is a multilingual community. With this there should be documentation for every language that is often spoken in osu!. Here is a list of languages that need documentation translated in to.

1. Dutch
  2. Finnish
  3. German
  4. Hungarian
  5. Italian
  6. Malaysian
  7. Polish
  8. Portuguese
  9. Spanish
  10. Tagalog
  11. Turkish

Here is a list of existing translations that need updating or completing:

1. Indonesian
  2. Chinese
  3. Japanese
  4. Korean
  5. Russian
If you wish to help in translating, feel free to do so.

Conclusion and Extra Information

This project is being done without any help from the osu! staff. If any staff member would like to help out, please private message me on the forums or in game (preferably in game). As far as I know it, there is no way to edit the homepage of the wiki. If someone will help me out on doing so that would be fantastic.

Thank you for your time, if you have any suggestions feel free to make them in this thread. I am looking forward to some help in revamping the wiki!
MarioBound
1st!
Anyway what do you mean by guides? You mean like this?
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5456
Topic Starter
Lust

MarioBound wrote:

1st!
Anyway what do you mean by guides? You mean like this?
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5456
Ah no I should have been more clear.

Guides that assist the player with any feature should be added to the wiki. Not training guides. Although helpful, that guide is ultimately outdated and should not be added.
Marcin
I made similar thing in my team thread, so i'll just leave it here:

Marcin wrote:

I have started initiative of moving over all guides to Wiki, here is the list of moved, and to move guides:
Moved:
- https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Making_nice_rec ... or_Youtube
- https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Tablet_purchase
- http://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Mapping_Taiko_Difficulties
To-do (mostly waiting for responses of creators):
- t/99612
- t/118673 (not sure)
- t/5456 (not sure too, pretty outdated)
- t/152263 (hi ono)
- t/118868
- t/155780
- t/51502
- t/51694 (leaving topic though, or creating a new section "skin support", like completed skins)
(...) *cut*
Repflez

Lust wrote:

Vandalism: This isn't really any additions, but if you spot any cases of wiki vandalism, please report it to a moderator.
Wiki admins doesn't get any love now :(

The main page of the wiki is in protected mode so if someone wants a link added there, edit Sandbox-6 and throw me a PM. I'll update the page when I can.

Edit: Apparently both filename bugs (caps in extension and unicode filenames) were fixed some time ago, so those "rules" shouldn't be there on the upload page anymore. If there are bugs with those type of files, I'll add them again to the page.
Lolzy
I'm traslating the wiki in italian...lot of work o3o
aaronspong
lawl