forum

modding community is dead

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kanteer
literally nobody cares about modding anymore lmao, feedback now is just telling people to replace stuff and not how to avoid it in the future

how to fix this? maybe just get good at modding idk! give actual feedback, not just "00:69:69 - this pattern sucks! change it to this"

please note this is from my personal experience from having people mod my maps, and most of the mods are exactly like this
THAT_otaku
Ask them why (dms, mod post) before changing, its not that hard. You might be getting mods from shit mappers/modders if they giving you mods exactly like that, generally good modders will mention why, and give overall advice on what to think about to improve in the future.
Topic Starter
Kanteer
i do, they ghost me lol

i've had a few good ones, but the amount of shitty ones outweigh the good ones (like a 10:1 ratio)
THAT_otaku
feel free to hit me up for modding whenever, i like to think i can give good mods after 500 kudosu lol
bluirre
im assuming its just people dont know how to mod
lewski
every time someone pretends something old is new I die inside a little

modding is dead, that much is true, but it's not because people forgot how to mod or whatever you're trying to say, it's kind of the opposite

first off, it has always been the case that most people suck at modding. open any old map thread and you'll see mods that look exactly like the stuff you're getting today (or worse; just look at any old NC mod wall). this is neither a new thing nor something you can fix for as long as the game keeps growing, because new modders can't help but suck. modders sucking is not what killed modding.

what actually did it is a culture shift. think, for a moment, about what the game and community were like when people still cared about modding: maps needed 12 kudosu stars before they could be ranked, and nominators generally weren't willing to look at maps before they had been modded a few times. kudosu was also nowhere near as abundant as it is now, because you'd usually only make one comprehensive post per map. so, people had to get mods in order to get their maps ranked, and they had a strong incentive to mod other people's maps as well.

over time, though, safe maps by well-known mappers got ranked with fewer and fewer mods, which eventually went down to none at all. there was a bunch of drama about it, but the reasoning that "good maps don't need mods" was persuasive enough that it's the heart of the general attitude towards modding today. naturally, this started to happen with smaller-name mappers as well, and today, anyone can rank a map with no mods from non-BNs.

then, as the final nail in the coffin, the website redesign brought us the modding discussion system (mv2). star priority was replaced by the meaningless hype system we have now, removing any incentive for anyone to mod maps other than self-satisfaction or the prospect of becoming a BN. mv2 also got rid of all the formatting options people used to use to give their mods a personal flair, which soured the whole experience for a lot of people.

so, in short:
- there is little incentive to mod other people's maps
- there is no incentive to get mods on your maps
- modding on the site is fairly impersonal

the first problem could be fixed by going back to something akin to star priority, but not without pushback; the community is used to the irrelevant 5 hype threshold. the second one there's no acceptable fix for, while the third one could be somewhat alleviated by adding actual formatting options to mv2. I think the ship has kind of sailed for the issue in general, though, because the community has outgrown the website. most mapping discussion happens in discord servers and the like, not on the forums or mv2.
i am very gay
I feel like modding isnt very motivating to do since many people genuinely dont care about improving their map - they just want to make the map look nicer for bns.

Maybe if I recieved less "no" responses or ones where its something very objective and their response reads "no im too lazy to actually change my map" instead of actually explaining their choices then I'd mod more, and im sure many people feel the same
THAT_otaku
meh i enjoy helping others and helping them improve their maps, deep analyzing other peoples maps to this day still helps me improve at my own mapping, theres enough incentive for me
dopaminos
modding is not dead yet. receiving answers as "no" or "i wanna keep it" may demovitate but not more.

maps now have better overall quality so it usually doesn't need mods (or really little)
but modding helps to novice mappers to improve/

imo modding will be alive until dudes with 1k+ kudosu will stop modding (castagne f/e)
Topic Starter
Kanteer

dopaminos wrote:

modding is not dead yet. receiving answers as "no" or "i wanna keep it" may demovitate but not more.

maps now have better overall quality so it usually doesn't need mods (or really little)
but modding helps to novice mappers to improve/

imo modding will be alive until dudes with 1k+ kudosu will stop modding (castagne f/e)
no what i mean is that people mod and don't give any feedback anymore, they're just like "no this bad change it" and then don't give feedback when you ask for it