forum

Slider Variation to song sounds.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Alan Ritchson
I've always tried to match slider "turn" or changes in direction to the actual beat of the song itself, for example - beatmapsets/703957#osu/1511760 @ 00:04:415 - (1), you can hear the slider changing at the "ding" in the song.

But is there a method to doing it more consistently or precisely? Can you do it wrong? Is there any ways for make the slider look "not janky"? Or any do's/don'ts to slider patterns, besides burai/overlapping sliders that are confusing to look at.

Just want to incorporate new techniques into my mapping variety to keep them different and slowly develop a cool and original style.

Thanks all :)
lewski
The slower and longer a slider is, the less you have to do during it. Because of that, any sharp turns in the slider get your undivided attention, so they feel a lot more impactful than they would if the slider was faster or shorter.

In a vacuum, it's pretty safe to say that you can represent the song the most closely by 1) putting turns on any distinct sounds that occur during a long slider and 2) not putting turns in places without distinct sounds. However, no slider exists in a vacuum. If a part of a song supports a long slider that skips over some sounds, it probably also supports not having turns on those sounds. Likewise, if the map supports it visually (or the slider is cool enough by itself), there tends to be no problem with having turns that don't land on any distinct sounds.

But what about when you have both turns in the slider and distinct sounds during the slider, and they don't match up? In this case, the turns can easily feel disconnected from the song. Even so, it can work in the right context.

I want to note one more time that these things scale with the speed and length of the slider. If the slider isn't longer than a couple of beats, there isn't enough of a pause in other stuff you need to pay attention to for sharp turns to feel very impactful. You can see this in most maps. Similarly, if the slider is fast, you still have to focus on aiming regardless of the length of the slider, which has the same effect on sharp turns. Fast but long sliders aren't super common, but you can see this in Notch Hell, for example.

I'm not sure what you mean by consistency and precision, but I hope this wall of text at least helps you reason about the topic. As for jankiness, making more complex sliders look good generally comes down to how well the curves, angles, and possible overlaps work together, both within the slider and in the context of the rest of the map. Getting it right takes practice. There are entire subcultures devoted to complex sliders and slider patterns, so there are a lot of resources out there. I'm not too interested in that stuff myself, though, so I hope someone else can point you in that direction if you need it.

One final slider tip: Space out your objects after sliders. Slider leniency makes jumps out of sliders easier to aim than jumps out of circles, so you need more spacing out of sliders for the same effect.