forum

Osu!mania Guide on how to add your waifu/husbando to the side of your screen!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kaaruumii
Heyyooo this is my first guide on osu ever so please give me feedback if this guide is not clear enough to understand, keep in mind I only know this works specifically for mania and I am unsure if this also works for
the other gamemodes as well.

Step 1: Finding the perfect picture of your waifu or husbando

First go to your search browser and look up "(insert name here) transparent background"

KEEP IN MIND THAT ONLY GIF, PNG, BMP, TIFF, TGA and JPEG 2000 CAN HAVE TRANSPARENT BACKGROUNDS

We need to use a transparent image so we don't see this in game: (unless you really don't mind it then this step is irrelevant)

Once you have found your perfect image MAKE SURE IT IS ACTUALLY TRANSPARENT AND NOT A FAKE TRANSPARENCY:

We can test this out in step 4! (notice how it blends in perfectly with the background)

Step 2: Downloading an image editing program

To make this very simple and straight to the point, https://getpaint.net/ is a free and VERY useful program (not sponsored btw lol). If you know how to use mspaint, you will easily learn how to use paint dot net

Step 3: Finding your image to edit

So now you have downloaded the image you want to use well great! now what?
Go to your osu.exe and right click on it then select "Open file location"
Then open "Osu.(insertwindowsnamehere).CFG"

Then use Ctrl+F on your keyboard then copy and paste "HighResolution" without the quotation marks.
If this says "HighResolution = 0", change it to say "HighResolution = 1" (also don't have osu running in the background as this will revert the setting.

After we made sure that HighResolution skins are running, go to your skins folder then to your actual skin folder then search mania-stage-left@2x OR mania-stage-right@2x depending the side that you want to put them on, then make a backup by copy and pasting this image to your desktop (or wherever you please).

If you don't already have one of these images or it only says "mania-stage-left" or "mania-stage-right" you can make a bigger res version of your current image (the original image may not look as clean as it once was) inside of paint dot net by opening the image with paint.net, then press Ctrl+R to resize the image and multiply the original number of the HEIGHT by 2, (768 res to 1536) hence why we are using @2x images. And also make the width bigger too (I did mine to 1000 res max but you can experiment. UNTICK MAINTAIN ASPECT RATIO IF YOU DONT WANT THE BAR TO BE THICKER

Step 4: Editing your image

Now that you have the correct program and found your image that you want to use, how do we make sure if it is a real transparency or not?
It is as simple as opening the image inside of paint.net behind a real transparent background. To do that, increase the canvas size with Ctrl+Shift+R to 2000x2000 and it should look like this:
Now click on the magic wand and then click on the white background and press Delete on your keyboard
Great! Now we have made sure we have a functioning transparent image for your waifu/husbando placement! now use the rectangle select tool to copy and paste your transparent image into your original mania-stage, it will ask you to expand the canvas size say yes. (ONLY MAKE SURE YOU SELECTED LESS THAN 1536 HEIGHT OF THE IMAGE OF YOUR CHARACTER, and preferably the very minimum needed width as well to not overwrite your existing mania-stage line) Now use the magic wand to delete the rest of the white background and move your waifu/husbando into place!

Once you have done this save this image as mania-stage-left@2x.png OR mania-stage-right@2x.png depending on what it was before. it should end up looking like this:
For consistencies sake use this same line for the other @2x image side aswell (I figure you are all smart enough to do that on your own buy cropping the image of your waifu/husbando out and going to the image tab and click flip horizontally and save as the opposite side .png ). Now drag these images into your skin folder and now its time to test them!

Step 5: In game testing!!

Now you have your FABULOUS image(s) ready to try out ingame
(ngl this image doesn't really fit with the echoed image effect not really being transparent but as you can see it works brilliantly!

But if it looks like this:

Then the height of the image to either too small or too big (make it 1536).

I am not aware if someone else has made this guide first but enjoy lads <3

If this guide confuses you or you are just lazy, send me the transparent image of the character you want + your current mania stage left or right image, also please specify which side you want them to be on.

Tl;dr edit in the mania-stage-left@2x image or mania-stage-right@2x image with a transparent picture of ur waifu/husbando

Jarcrafted
This guide is perfect! It worked well
Stomiks
There's fake transparent backgrounds? No wonder it's been a whack-a-mole trying to find an actual transparent image.
Topic Starter
Kaaruumii

Stomiks wrote:

There's fake transparent backgrounds? No wonder it's been a whack-a-mole trying to find an actual transparent image.
My guess is people either for some reason save it as a jpeg or they take a screenshot of it and crop the excess out lol, also I am still willing to do this process for anyone if interested DM.

Jarcrafted wrote:

This guide is perfect! It worked well
Thanks! I'm glad that it worked out well for you too.
stefanthebest
thank you so much man. Now i can have my cat smoking a blunt on top of an anime girl while playing osu> <3
dainyn11
Do you know how to put it in the song selection screen? Like instead of the osu logo in the bottom right you could have it as your waifu?