forum

some tips for tech mapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kanteer
alright so i've dabbled a little in tech mapping before, but i haven't really ever gotten good at it since i can't figure out what every tech map has in common because they're all so different, most i can get out of them is "wonky cool WAOW!!" sliders and extreme slider velocities, any help?

tldr; i wanna get better at tech mapping but the techniques are hard to understand
Zelzatter Zero
They may vary in styles, but upon inspecting carefully you may find some similarities, pretty much all of which you already found out (Doesn't mean all "tech" maps have such features, but they'll tend to appear a lot).

The best way to learn tech is to map more tbh. However before you map, think of 1 or 2 concepts you wanna map taken from other reference, and restrict how you map with them (For example, a lot of maps used the really slightly curved slider, then I'll map one with that concept in mind). That way you'd know how each of them actually works and at the end you can try to mishmash everything together.
Rikuka
just place whatever notes you like or make sense , and doable (for me , since i also sucks at mapping)
Shiraya Sayuki
Hot stuff I'd say, but I can explain it to you.
1) tip: check other "tech" maps. I think you want tips on the wub side of the term tech (cuz there are a lot of meanings to it). So checking other people's wub maps it's pretty helpful for beginners who dare to try tech mapping. Most of the wub maps around lately have different styles, but they usually go down to 2 types (generalistics and unconventional ones).
Generalstics are the ones that usually don't have anything crazy in it, these kinds of maps just follow the RC and the song pretty well and they do look like more finger control based (a nicer balance between circles and sliders). A catchy thing that you'll in these maps is that their sliders are the plain ones that you would see in your average anime map or similiar (with some different ones too depending on the song) but they are just arranged to a cleaner structure (like axis or triangles, etc...). Most of the tech maps you would see have sliders that represent the identity of the songs, so what you should do is to keep the design consistent and change it based on the song.
Check any realazy map on EDM songs
Unconventional wub maps are the ones who have crazy stuff in it, like big sliders, very complex sliders, very fast sliders and also very consistent/reasonful changes in svs. They do also feature very uncanny patterns (stuff that really spaced on very high bpm), they focus a lot on aesthetics and movement (structure too). You'll need to learn slider connections too. They usually vary in style depending on the mapper you are looking at.
Notable examples are (in modern times) are: Halgoh, 0ppInOsu/Sharu, ak74.
-Halgoh would usually make slider in a really complex way, with detais that follow the song's lyrics and sounds (like when to put tumors in your slider etc...) also he does use lots of overlaps, but most of them are reasonable.
-0ppInOsu/Sharu: both of these mappers share one thing, their slider design but in different ways. 0pp likes to make his slider really curvy based and they'd usally look ugly to some people but it fits the song prety well and it does pull out nice movement, even tho from an outsider look it doesn't look like it, this would be called "newgen". Meanwhile Sharu's sliders are more freeform (same thing as newgen but with less details) and he also does use more red anchors sliders than 0pp but with curvy details to it, which fit the song nicely.
-ak74: He keeps the concept of consistent design to the core in his maps, for example his ryuuseigun map it's proof of that. Not only he keeps his design consitent, it is also nicely complex too. The movement may be weird in some places but he chose (iirc) the aesthetics instead of gameplay factor.
2)Copy sliders from other maps to start to get to know the white/red anchor management.
When it comes to wub mapping, you should know how to handle red and white achors since they will provide you with th style that you want. Every mapper that I listed above know so. Sharu/0pp like the curvy ones, ak74 prefers more red anchors and halgoh is a mix (o and real is nihil but not on steroids basically lol). So yeah do this so that your sliders don't look inted for connection and gameplay.
3)Structure.
Compared to other types of maps, wub ones usually follow some concrete understandings when it comes to structure. Like I mentioned before (axis and triagles) these are concrete things you can look (even in your geometry school book to get a hang of it) anywhere really. For axis, like it says you need to follow a certain angle for your objects placemennt, try to trace some imaginary line on your monitor to see if your objects follow the same line. Most of the mapping skins have red lines to help you out with that. Triangles are a nice concept to start off for tech mapping, since you can use 80% of the times. It bascially helps to narrow down circle patterns more effectevly so that your maps don't look like they have some weird overlaps.

With that said, I hope this can be helpful for you, have fun in tech mapping, see you!