forum

[resolved] Very slow download speed :/

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Unknowiii
Problem Details: Hi, i have a very slow download speed when i try to download a beatmap (~20kb/s) while i usually download at 1.5mb/s from other sites. I saw in forums you needed the trace so here you are. Hope you can help me :)

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20131024.1 (latest)
TheVileOne
Bad routing?

There's probably nothing physically you can do about this. Some people will come in to correct me if I am wrong. It will probably resolve itself on your ISP's end.

Have you been having ongoing issues?
Topic Starter
Unknowiii
I don't know how to check if it's from my ISP but i saw Peppy could help to resolve the problem by providing him traceroutes :

t/139343/start=30
TheVileOne
He doesn't have the time to check the Internet pathing problems of every user. If this is a constant issue and happens on every download server, then it's probably an issue with your ISP. If you can confirm whether it is happening to a specific download server, then it may be a server side issue (possibly high traffic).

How long has this been happening?

Edit: Also you can try downloading from download mirrors. You may have better download speeds.
Topic Starter
Unknowiii
I got that download speed since i play osu! so since 08/2013

It happens with every download (also osu!direct)

By mirrors you mean like mediafire for packs ?
Marcin
Topic Starter
Unknowiii
Marcin
Wow...
http://osu.yas-online.net/f
what about this one?
Topic Starter
Unknowiii
It's a bit faster but ...

To show you it isn't normal:
Topic Starter
Unknowiii
I understand you want me to try mirrors but getting supporter to not use osu!direct ...
Marcin
Well, seems like your host slows down connection from outside of france.
Topic Starter
Unknowiii
Isn't there a way to check it ?
Marcin
I'm thinking, can you try downloading http://mirror.eftel.com/ubuntu-dvd/13.0 ... +omap4.img and seeing speed?
Topic Starter
Unknowiii
12 ko/s ...

I'm investigating if i'm the only one who got problem with my IST (Free)
Marcin
There is obviously something wrong with your ISP then. I would try contacting them.
Topic Starter
Unknowiii
Ok, i chose an US server and this is what i get :

I think i don't need to investigate anymore ...
Topic Starter
Unknowiii
After 1 hour, i saw someone was using Free Download Manager to download files beacause our ISP is too slow with some sites.

Here is the result 250ko/s is a lot higher than my 28ko/s

It could help a lot of people.

If someone could put this thread as resolved :)
peppy
Keep in mind that download managers aren't supported, and may cause you to hit the download limit more quickly.