forum

[resolved] [irc] Highlight without space in Chinese, Japanese, etc.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +7
Topic Starter
Unlike English/French/Spanish/Russian/... and a lot of other languages, Languages like Chinese/Japanese has seldom any usage of space break, and I guess there should be some other languages have this similar usage.

Since it seems like a keyword would only be highlighted when separated with other characters/phrases with a space, so in these languages, the keywords just won't get highlighted unless it appears in the end of a sentence.

That's why I'm thinking about this feature. It should be handy for a lot of people.
Kodora
YES please
EmingK
yes click zan
Topic Starter
Bump. should I really do this?
FrzR
I like this. :D
peppy
Please test this on test build.
MillhioreF
Fixed on latest test.
Topic Starter
Hell yeah~
TicClick
Sadly, it works incorrectly for Russian, because Russian uses spaces to separate words in the same manner as English and other non-eastern languages do. Is there any way to keep the old behaviour for it?
Topic Starter

TicClick wrote:

Sadly, it works incorrectly for Russian, because Russian uses spaces to separate words in the same manner as English and other non-eastern languages do. Is there any way to keep the old behaviour for it?
You mean that it doesn't work if you add a space break on the keyword?
Gosh that's not what I was asking for... I was expecting an addon feature, not a substitute :o
TicClick

B-52 wrote:

TicClick wrote:

You mean that it doesn't work if you add a space break on the keyword?
Gosh that's not what I was asking for... I was expecting an addon feature, not a substitute :o
no, it works just like you suggested. Imagine you have word "pine" as a highlight, and every time someone posts "happiness", you receive a notification that says someone has just highlighted you. Now replace these examples with cyrillic ones and feel us.
peppy
It only considers non-english characters. Please report this as a bug and we'll look into classifying it into specific ranges (ie. excluding russian).
TicClick
Just like I thought. Okay, will do!
Topic Starter

TicClick wrote:

no, it works just like you suggested. Imagine you have word "pine" as a highlight, and every time someone posts "happiness", you receive a notification that says someone has just highlighted you. Now replace these examples with cyrillic ones and feel us.
What I asked was pretty much adding the highlight-without-space feature for languages that has seldom any usage of space break, so I wasn't expecting this feature to be used in any language that doesn't fit this criteria...

peppy wrote:

It only considers non-english characters. Please report this as a bug and we'll look into classifying it into specific ranges (ie. excluding russian).
Don't really know if this happens to Spanish though, since I have no highlighting keywords in Spanish. I guess maybe Latin letters overall are the excluded characters?