forum

Old VS New Maps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
iShanoa
While downloading anime songs, I have seen some old ones way back in 2008 - 2012. I have this habit of reading some comments to see what the players think about the map and I've seen some of them say that the mapping is bad. Others defend it by saying that the song is old, etc etc.

Is there a huge difference on how the old songs were mapped compared to new ones? What do they mean by bad btw? Are the patterns too complex?
Gamesnake7
Probably things along improper sync, unnecessary jacks, unnecessary SV, etc.
pofnkul
underdeveloped linear noise focused mapping is what i generally find to be annoying with old maps. doesn't mean they're immediately bad it just is such a different style.
Topic Starter
iShanoa

Gamesnake7 wrote:

Probably things along improper sync, unnecessary jacks, unnecessary SV, etc.

pofnkul wrote:

underdeveloped linear noise focused mapping is what i generally find to be annoying with old maps. doesn't mean they're immediately bad it just is such a different style.
I don't get it sorry. What do you guys mean by linear noise, unnecessary jacks, etc?
Gamesnake7
Unnecessary jacks are jacks that are just there for the sake of difficulty and nothing else (jacks are 1+ notes in the same column)
Topic Starter
iShanoa

Gamesnake7 wrote:

Unnecessary jacks are jacks that are just there for the sake of difficulty and nothing else (jacks are 1+ notes in the same column)
I get it now. Thanks!
pofnkul
i meant that most old maps are generally focused on representing each individual noise within the song whereas more modern songs are more focused of charting to the flow of the song which causes older maps to feel more awkward to play which is why they get their reputation
midgy
i'm guessing you mean like 2014 unless you're playing stepmania dumps?
old osu!mania files used to be very strict on consistency to the point of making obvious hand bias and awkward minijacks.
meanwhile old sm dumps were hard just for the sake of being hard so a lot of the awkwardness is very intentional
pofnkul
I JUST REALIZED YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT CONVERTS LMAO

my point still stands but add the fact that the mania converter is kinda bad

the comments would mainly be talking about the std mapset so their input is irrelevant to you
Topic Starter
iShanoa

pofnkul wrote:

the comments would mainly be talking about the std mapset so their input is irrelevant to you
Yep. There's are few maps in Osu! Mania so I've been playing converted maps. I do, however, have o2jam converted maps in my collection. I can't pass level 18 songs!!!! Darn it. xDD

I am in need of maps where I can practice the basics. (specially rice maps (maps where I have to tap lots of single notes, were they called rice maps? I've heard someone say that // I have been practicing Identity II normal and Bride in Dream Hard. Can't seem to A them. ) and maps where there's lots of two-three-four notes being pressed at the same time) If you can suggest some I'd be glad to add them to my collection for practice!

(off topic btw. sorry)
abraker
Some older maps sv is just... wild

uninherited section going from 80 bpm to 200 be like

Caffeinebomba
Old maps sv are placed weird, but like

iShanoa wrote:

pofnkul wrote:

Yep. There's are few maps in Osu! Mania so I've been playing converted maps. I do, however, have o2jam converted maps in my collection. I can't pass level 18 songs!!!! Darn it. xDD

I am in need of maps where I can practice the basics. (specially rice maps (maps where I have to tap lots of single notes, were they called rice maps? I've heard someone say that // I have been practicing Identity II normal and Bride in Dream Hard. Can't seem to A them. ) and maps where there's lots of two-three-four notes being pressed at the same time) If you can suggest some I'd be glad to add them to my collection for practice!

(off topic btw. sorry)
which type of patterns do you wish to learn?
Topic Starter
iShanoa

Caffeinebomba wrote:

Old maps sv are placed weird, but like

iShanoa wrote:

pofnkul wrote:

(off topic btw. sorry)
which type of patterns do you wish to learn?

Hello, sorry for the late reply. My fingers have been getting numb whenever I try to play long hours so I went on a quick break.

I think I need to practice rice and jack maps.