forum

Some keyboard questions

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
notasnev
I've been playing 4k for about 2 months so far and it's been pretty fun. Throughout almost all of my playing sessions I relied on my laptop keyboard because that's simply what I have. Lately, I've been thinking about getting a new keyboard. No, not a mechanical keyboard with high polling rate and NKRO or anything, I don't think I have to worry about those until I get into really high level play. Plus, I don't have a lot of money. I'm thinking about a keyboard like the Logitech K120 since it's inexpensive, available for purchase everywhere, and I've heard some good things about it. (Like here: https://youtu.be/rcQlR4K7umo). But... do I really need it? As in, would you do just fine on a laptop keyboard for a good while? Are there players who can do some pretty wild stuff using only their laptop keys?

To me, playing on them feels alright, but I feel a lot more comfortable with a separate keyboard for playing more accurately since you can hit on them pretty hard without having to worry wearing down your keys, and you get more feedback on each keytap since their switches are full-sized compared to the compact chiclet keys you'd find on a laptop, even with membrane. I don't play with hitsounds on o!m so the more apparent keytap sounds that you'd get is well-appreciated. What do you all think? Do you have any notable experiences while trying out different keyboards? Or perhaps with the Logitech in particular? (Especially in keymodes beyond 4k.) Really, I guess the only downside of getting a keyboard like the Logitech K120 is, since it's a generic USB input device, it's only limited to 6-key rollover, which itself it's fine for 4k, but might not be if I'm looking to play 7k in the future.

Oh and, quick shout out to my friend for letting me borrow his keyboards, they're nice but they're not exactly something that I can afford to buy myself.
UltraBlack
Polling rate is not only for hard things but ok. I know some really insane players out there whose got really good with only with a laptop keyboard. But keep in mind that, if your pc sucks like mine then no matter which keyboard are you gonna use you will hit later. A high poll rate helps with accuracy too. Anyway picking a keyboard because you think it's gonna late to need a new one for harder things is not a good way to think since hard things start without you noticing then, you don't really need it that much though, jkzu cleared delta with a 125hz keyboard so just go for it.
Kaaruumii
As someone who is very close in digits I've never used a laptop keyboard for mania but I was mostly using an 8 dollar keyboard like the one you listed and its pretty damn good for the price but comparing to the new mech keyboard I have recently gotten mechanical is def the best option by far just pls stop playing on laptop keyboard lol.