forum

[Proposal] Add British/American spelling of metadata to tags

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xinnoh
- If the beatmap's metadata contains words that vary in spelling between British and American English, include the other version of those words in the tags.

(Eg colourful/colorful or ____ise/____ize)

Searching for maps with these words just becomes less of a hassle for both sides of the ocean.

Best as just a guideline since it's not something to disqualify a map for.
TheKingHenry

RC wrote:

Guidelines: Guidelines may be ignored under exceptional circumstances. These exceptional circumstances must be justified by an exhaustive explanation as of why the guideline has been ignored and why not ignoring it will interfere with the overall quality of the creation.
guidelines are still dq-worthy if there is no valid reason to break said guideline? The difference with rule is just that there can be a valid reason to break it. "Forgetting" or whatever would be the reason for not having the suggested additions does not quite sound valid. As such, there isn't really valid reason to not adhere to this if it were a guideline, and it would lead to dqs if guidelines were followed

in any case isn't this just "optional common sense"? Don't lotsa mappers do this already? I hope they do, at least I personally try to do this already. But in the end it's pretty minor and optional

thus, feels bit weird to add requirements like this on it in my opinion
caps
isn't this kinda covered with the following guideline as well?

Tags should be added for related artists, alternate names for the artist, title, or source, contractions in any part of the metadata with the apostrophe removed, and whatever else may aid a player in finding the beatmap.
though it doesn't really specify alternative spellings, so that could be added, like so:

Tags should be added for related artists, alternate names for the artist, title, or source, contractions in any part of the metadata with the apostrophe removed, alternative spellings of words, and whatever else may aid a player in finding the beatmap.
Topic Starter
Xinnoh
ah ya missed that part of the rc, bit rusty.
adding it there would make more sense

just should be worded 'Alternate spellings of words,'. 'Alternative' means exactly 2 options which isn't always the case
caps
i don't think alternative means just 2 choices though, but either or could work i guess

edit: on second thought "alternate" would be consistent with the rest of the wording in the guideline
Drum-Hitnormal
feel this should be covered with fuzzy search at system level, both in game and in web, rather than making mapper add new tags with 1 or 2 char difference.

also keep in mind that tag is limited to 1000 char

not everyone is expert in language

it will also cover case of typo, like someone searching `bad aple`

believe this is already available in web, but not in game currently