forum

Maps having non-overlapping objects

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kancila
I found out that in some mappers' maps, objects never overlapped while still maintaining the flow. (What I mean here is they made the map easy to read and comfortable to play)
How did they manage to map them perfectly? Were they checking the object one by one to make sure they don't overlap? (Wouldn't it take LOTS of time?)
Eni
Do you have an example map we can talk about? Most maps have overlapping objects if you Ctrl+A them, but I assume you're talking about maps that reject the idea of overlapping as a mapping technique.

For example, this map uses overlaps as a mapping technique:

But other maps intentionally avoid overlapping as a mapping technique. Example:

These maps tend to prioritize more traditional structures like blankets, although most of them will have some objects that overlap to spice things up.
Topic Starter
Kancila
No, I do not have an example right now. However I've seen some maps having a slider being a blanket of another slider/circle after a few beats, while the spacing between objects and the flow are very reasonable.(sorry if my English was bad while describing) What I wanted to say is actually "how do some mappers avoid overlapping and/or align objects so neatly".
[[[[[[
good usage of the playfield is often the case, trying to place your patterns in places that isn't the center, put your map at a low ar temporally could help showing places where you placed too much stuff and places where you don't place much stuff

tho good overlap usage is also cool too Ë̸̡̺̞̤͒̚͠M̵̜̜̱͎̑̾͑̅͌͛͝͠͝B̷̙̗̹̼̺̔͑̉R̷̪̳̦͚͎̣͙̂̐̿͆Ȧ̸̗̗̱̳̯̼̠͉̘͑̊C̷̬̝̮̕Ê̶̟̯͔̫͈̙͈̩͈͖͖̺̊́̅̆͑̇̑͘͠͝͠ ̸̡̢̥̭̭̰̻̌̎̈͗͊̇̐͒̌̃̐̉T̵̨̹̮͕̑̿̓̋͂̆̐̃̿̽͑́ͅH̵̟͈̑̓̄̇̎͂͝ͅȨ̴̡̠̖̳̪̫̺̔̈́͛͗̃̈́̏ ̶̬̺̖̳̻̘̱̝͗̆́́̇̅̔͝Ȯ̶̧̧͇͎̙̗͎̯̻̈́͗̇͗̅̽̏͘͠V̸̡͙͎̭̬̳̬̹̂͐͊̔̈́̇̏̇É̴͖̼̱͘͝ͅR̵̛̼̗͕̥͉͕̘͑͂̋̅̄̄̏͋́̋̍̾Ļ̷͕̙̯͛ͅA̵̧̧̯̦̺̩͚̣̱̟͔͛P̷̢̻̭̲̪̙̼̮͈̙̐̓̐͆̔͗̆̏̈́̕̕͝͠͝͠S̴̨̨̨̛͎̯̮̳̝̱̲̲̔̃͑ͅ
Topic Starter
Kancila
Using low AR while mapping is actually a brilliant idea! I've never think of it. Thanks to everyone who replied. :D
Livermorium
idk if im late to this but at least the i way map with minimum overlaps is by acutally checking all the objects to see they overlap with any other circles around. i think you can reduce the amount of overlaps by reusing placements that you already used. also its probably easier to avoid overlaps if you map without hit animations