forum

[duplicate] Get a notification when quoted on the forums

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Hello,

I've seen it done on several forums, so I thought, "why not here?".
The idea is very simple (and perhaps it has already been suggested before) :

When a user quotes you on the forums, you automatically get a notification, like, let's say, a PM or an e-mail (in this case it would work similarly like the subscription system), or whatever else. This way, you know when (and why) people quoted you. The purpose is clear, I don't think I need to explain it further.

The idea can be extended to work the same way highlights does in osu!. (Make a list of words you'd like to be notified about, get a notification when one of these words have been used in the forums).

This could also be an option, toggled on or off, or even the user choosing where to use it (in which forum, etc).

Thoughts ?
Nathanael
That looks like a mention feature on another forums. Quite a big request.
I don't know if I'll support this since we can use the Subscribe/Bookmark feature that it will notify you there is a new post on the thread.
Topic Starter
PyaKura
I don't know if it's hard to implement. Actually, when the webmaster of the forums I mentionned implemented it, he said it was quite easy, but the "type/kind/whatever" of forums is not the same as here, so I have absolutely no idea if it's feasible or not.

I know the Bookmark/Subscription feature is similar, but this one doesn't serve the same purpose really, because it is not limited to the thread you've marked/subbed to.

Edit : I can post a screenshot of what I'm talking about, if you want.

Edit 2 : Well, here you go.

When someone quotes me, the "Quotes" at the right side lights up and become "Quotes (1)", and when I click on it I can see an extract of the post, the thread and the forum this message has been posted in, along with the user who quoted me. Also, as you can see, both "Favorites" (which works exactly like the Bookmarking/Subscription systeme here) and "Quotes" are enabled.

Note that not only does it work by simple hitting the "Quote" button and then posting the message, but also by typing @typeusernamehere in a single line to notify someone.
Nathanael

PyaKura wrote:

I know the Bookmark/Subscription feature is similar, but this one doesn't serve the same purpose really, because it is not limited to the thread you've marked/subbed to.
Yeah, that's true. Well I guess its helpful on the beatmaps forum.

The forum system will check the new reply if it has used a BBcode quote used before it will be posted. ( e.g. [quote=someone] )
If the quoted person exists, then it will notify the user. Else, nothing.

That "@username" here was the mention thing that I've been saying.
Instead of using "@", [mention]<user>[/mention] is also good.
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Actually it would be useful everywhere on the forums. :P

I'm not sure about what you mean with the BBcode thing...
- Marco -
yup, i would also like ingame like higlight
Oinari-sama

PyaKura wrote:

perhaps it has already been suggested before
You're right t/130904
Nathanael

Oinari-sama wrote:

PyaKura wrote:

perhaps it has already been suggested before
You're right t/130904
That's weird I haven't found that when searching that.. ;~;
Oinari-sama
Well it was easy for since it's one of my request :P

The search is hard to use sometimes when an idea can be described with multiple words. I used "Mention" "Keyword" "Highlight" in my thread while OP of this thread used "Quoted" to describe the same thing. Perhaps each request should be keyword tagged by user to enhance searching experience idk... (anyone works for google here? lol)