forum

What if: 2b became fully supported and rankable

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[[[[[[
What do you think will happen to the mapping landscape?

My theories:
-People find ways to break the pp system using 2b stuff
-Finger control-ing became a must if you wanna play the newest maps, since even stuff like the double taps could be hard to ss
-Our current non-2b mapping became the old style mapping, and there are some mappers famous for not using 2bs

ofc this wouldn't happen in a million years but this is just a theory
DeletedUser_13957006
to address your theories:

1. excessive pp manipulation would never get ranked
2. doubletaps kinda tie into 1 because they (currently) break the pp system (see: POSSESSION)
other than that, doubletaps aren't super hard to play so not much of a difference unless you force some ridiculously fast doubletaps (e.g. 300bpm 1/2 doubletaps which is basically the same as singletapping 150bpm streams)
3. tbh i don't think it will turn into "old-style", it'll just boil down to 2b mapping and non-2b mapping. there will be some people that will absolutely refuse mapping 2b

but realistically, 2b will never be rankable. ever.
gummibar
the dream.

having a 2b engine would not just involve ensuring that 2b is calculated correctly as sr and pp, but it would be fixing some of the limitations of 2b gameplay already has. slider notelock, unloading, and sliderend limitations. plbbt. gone. even when unrankable, we'd see maps which weren't even POSSIBLE pre-rework. if it were rankable? it would be a completely different game.

the mapping community would not be able to adjust to such a huge change overnight. players would definitely take even longer. the game was never designed to be played like this. in fact, making such a huge change is probably an unfortunately terrible idea. ranking 2b is effectively hurling established slider mechanics through a closed window. a VERY closed window. i don't think those slider mechanics are gonna stick the landing.

i cannot think of a more divisive change this game could implement. good job!
lewski
THERE IS NO WORLD IN WHICH 2B BECOMES THE META
i dont get why fallacious slippery slopes like this are so attractive to people, it makes absolutely no sense to assume that an incredibly niche gameplay element becoming rankable would somehow change the entire landscape. conservative sliderator usage has been rankable for a while now, where's the sliderator meta? are constant sv sliders considered old style? no.

once autofail stops being an issue, and especially if 2b becomes rankable (which I don't see happening without appropriate changes to sr/pp beforehand), we'll most likely see a small influx of 2b maps that get a lot of attention, but the fad will eventually die. after that, 2b will just be one more niche thing that gets ranked once in a while, in the same vein as cs>7 or really low ar. the way it's both mapped and played is just too different from the rest of the game for the masses to abandon anime jumps in favour of 2b.
moonpoint
2B is not feasible: the path forward will likely be mappers being able to force doubletaps on select circles in lazer (like taiko big hits)
Kurboh
If you wanna play 2B, play osu!stream, have fun
abraker
You prob need a ruleset that properly supports 2B
akmal2232232123
maybe possible using multitouch?
Topic Starter
[[[[[[

Kurboh wrote:

If you wanna play 2B, play osu!stream, have fun
touchscreen plays very differently from non-touchscreen tho