forum

osu! star rate calculation got updated???

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Corne2Plum3
I noticed that the star rate of some of my maps got updated (proof: this map isn't 7.27 stars anymore). For some reason, my Pending and WIP maps (I updated all the maps but after 20 minutes still no changes) didn't got updated SR.

In addition to that, it's not mentionned in the changelog. I can't find information anywere about this update.

Anyone have infos about it?
Eni
I'm also curious about what was changed. One of my maps went from 5* to 7*, for example. This one went from 5.8* to 6.8*, and this one from 5* to 5.9*. I assume it's a change related to slider difficulty, since usually those maps end up on the lower side SR-wise.
MrMcMikey22
and the ronald mcdonald one now is around 5 stars borderline instead of low-mid 5 stars..
TheKingHenry
unless there is some even more recent update, isn't this just stuff from the update that happened earlier this year? With adjustments to stuff like sliders and rhythm complexity

at the very least the map linked by OP has not been update since august last year and will fall under changes in that rework
Tayuno
I have realized that a long time ago, but I'm not sure how correct my hypothesis is.

However, I've come to the following conclusion:

Ever since the star rating rebalance, every map that had a leaderboard got adjusted. However, due to the sheer amount of Graveyarded and Pending/WIP maps, they did NOT get properly adjusted (Most maps show a difference of ~0.01 - 0.05* anyways). The only way to adjust them is to update them, by which they'd get recalculated and adjusted to the new difficulty values. This is why updating some very old Graveyarded maps might heavily increase or decrease their star rating. I guess these maps are slowly but surely getting updated as well now.

(As I said, just a hypothesis, but I think that might be correct. I've realized that back when I played a supposedly 5.5* Graveyard map, only for Bathbot to tell me that the map was actually supposed to be 6.3* after the rebalance.)

TL;DR
If you didn't update your map since the rebalance, it would've stayed around the same star rating as it was pre-rebalance, but it seems like these maps are being adjusted now as well.
If you updated an old map after the rebalance, it would automatically be calculated with the post-rebalance star rating and adjusted to that value.
If you submitted a map after the rebalance, it will change nothing, since it's already at the post-rebalance star rating.
Topic Starter
Corne2Plum3
It's weird that EVERY of my graveyard maps got updated at the same time
Tayuno

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

It's weird that EVERY of my graveyard maps got updated at the same time
Because they're probably done with recalculating most graveyarded maps by now and adjusting the values now I guess?
I've realized that my first map, which was 5.5* pre-rebalance, also got updated to 5.8* today, without updating it for months. But there hasn't been any new proper recalculation, as all ranked maps stayed the same. It's only affecting graveyarded maps, which would make sense given the hypothesis I posted.