[GUIDE] osu!mania Basic Hitsounding

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
FAMoss
osu!mania Basic Hitsounding

See also: Hitsound/Keysound for newbie

How to hitsounds basic in osu!mania?

This simple guide will bring to how basic hitsounding in osu!mania.
Well, the first thing you had in your head is that hitsounding is hard, indeed it is, sometimes that takes a time to finish a map. But all, in the end, the work you did is worth it!

What is a Hitsound?
  1. Hitsound are the sounds that osu! plays in response to user input when interacting with hit objects. Hitsounds are typically used to give auditory feedback to the player to help them judge the accuracy of the song.
What is different from a Keysound?
  1. Unliked Hitsound, in osu!mania Keysound is different to usage sample, more sample required to makes a keysound (usually piano sample). The keysound also has similarities to the song, making it low feedback to the players during playing.
Phase 1: Choosing the Sample

There is 2 audio you must know first.
  1. Audio : Referring to the main audio used in a beatmap. This audio is mandatory to use, usually with format MP3 and OGG.
  2. Sample : The short sound that is used to hitsounds in a beatmap. sample can be a variety depending on how you pick it. If you looking for hitsounds sample, here is mine.
The sample pick can be done from the mappers' wishes. The mappers decide which sample to use for a beatmap, but sample consideration needs to be pointing, including:
  1. Audible while played, so players can hear the sound of the sample.
  2. Stick to a sample that is not loud, players often feel that a sample with a loud sound feels uncomfortable when played.
  3. No delay above 5 ms, sample must be sounded when pressed.
  4. Keep in .WAV and/or .OGG file format, .MP3 cannot be used to hitsound samples.
Phase 2: Naming the Samples

Before we start, the sample also needs to be named wishes to their default name
For the sample naming, follow from the custom sample overrides.

osu!mania sample naming determination usually uses:
hitnormal : hat or tick
hitwhistle : kick or bass
hitclap : clap or snare
hitfinish : crash or cymbal

But once again, the sample naming and selection is not limited, they can be switched to any mappers' desire.
You can also use a custom sample name, so the default sample name can be ignored.

Phase 3: Start hitsounding

1. Pick a beatmap you want to hitsounds.
  2. Start with a hitnormal. Pick a hat sample you desire to use.
  3. Follow all potential basic sounds (kick, snare, cymbal), these three potential sounds are most used in a song.
  4. Create a difficulty named hitsounds
  5. Star with hitwhistle (kick). The layer of the kick could be at any column. The kick sounds usually at 1/4 snap which is every beat.
    SPOILER
    Pick a Whistle at right of layer monitor option.
  6. If you are done addressing the kick sound, start with hitclap.
  7. hitclap cause longer range than hitwhistle.
    SPOILER
    Pick a Clap at right of layer monitor option.

Beat level stands to hitwhistle
    Multiple level stands to hitclap
  8. Ends with hitfinish, where the sound that buzzing in a chorus.
    SPOILER
    Pick a Finish at right of layer monitor option.
Phase 4: Volume adjusting

1. The new mappers, especially with basic mapping knowledge, often misunderstand the volume selection for each diff of a beatmap. Certainly to adjust the volume for each sound in a beatmap is depending on the song being mapped.
  2. Do not use a volume above 80% for every sound because it has an impact sound on the default sample, instead use a standard volume below 70%.
  3. A mapper must estimate their own rules in determining the volume level.
Phase 5: Double-check the hitsound

1. Make sure the hitsound you made is followed the sound well. There is no need to be perfect hitsounds (no one is perfect). As long the hitsound is audible and used in all the samples.
  2. Gathering feedback from your friends. They likely will help you with feedback!
Resources:
  1. dudehacker : Mania Hit Sounding Tools
  2. FAMoss : Hitsounds Basic Sample
  3. Naxess : Mapset Verifier
Fabicho_
Now I don’t have to ask you to do it :)
SuzumeAyase
Nice Tutorial
I hope everyone can make their own hitsound
Pachiru
thank you bossman
Sies
poggers

i'll soon create my own hitsound queue
midgy
based
Leon Brigido
famoso
Stelar
bamoss
Murumoo
Love Famoss
DeltaNami
This actually makes me want to hitsound my maps (:
[Sick]Catcat
big mossman
AchsanLovers
thank you as always 🅱️amoss the 🅱️ossman for your contribution to the community, soon enough I will make my own hitsound queue as well kekw
YyottaCat
Pin this please.

Oh wait Sies edited the useful links thread.