forum

Switches for mechanical keyboard

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vertius
Hi, i'd like to know which switches to get Browns,Blues or Reds? I've red many threads about switches, but i couldnt find anything for me.
I'm planning to get CM Storm Quickfire TK and i don't know which switches to choose.

P.S. I know my english isn't perfect, but it's not my main language. Hope that you know what i mean.
Pawww_old
A lot of people prefer red switches but you should try all of them out in a shop if you have the chance.
raww_old
How to improve at osu!

"Mechanical keyboards also have sub categories. The most commonly found are red, black, and blue keys; each with it's own advantages and disadvantages. Commonly, players will recommend red switch keyboards because they are a lighter version of blacks (lighter presses means you can make more presses with less strain). As I've only truly experienced black switches I can't confidently talk about red/blue switch keybaords however from general feedback it would appear that they are all fine for osu! I would personally recommend black switches after trying both red and black. I found that black switches allowed me to click faster and stamina could be built up faster using them."
buny
blues are terrible for osu

red are great, never tried brown.
Lach

buny wrote:

blues are terrible for osu

red are great, never tried brown.
I second this notion.

Tactile bump a shit for clicking dots
Oinari-sama
Browns are well balanced for gaming and typing. It's super sexy to type on once you learn touch typing.
Hello Skitty
Looks like quickfire tk is becoming the next blackwidow, everybody is getting one XD
Almost

Lach wrote:

I second this notion.

Tactile bump a shit for clicking dots
I personally find the tactile bump unnoticeable.
jesse1412
Reds or black.
Lach

Almost wrote:

I personally find the tactile bump unnoticeable.
I just feel that the intention behind getting a tactile switch is to notify you that a keystroke has been issued. Blues are great for typing, because of the feel and sound telling you that yeah, a keystroke has been sent, but when you're repeatedly pressing a key in succession the tactile bump can become a huge inconsistency.

However, if you aren't bottoming out blues may be a good choice.
VoidnOwO
I have reds/browns/blues/blacks, and personally prefer reds in osu! and browns in osu!mania-like games.

But even though there will be people saying "X switches suck and are terrible for osu!", it's not really true. You can use any type of switches you want, some are just better than the others.
Callum
~
Syrus
I do the same on both reds and blues, reds are a lot more fun to play with, blues are better for typing.
Topic Starter
Vertius
Well i've just red the answers and I see that most recommended switches are Browns and Reds so now the question is - should i get Browns or Reds? I don't think i'll be able to test them out, never met any CM Storm keyboard in a shop exhibition.
Lach
You're really going to have to find out for yourself. Worst case scenario you don't like the switches, you can return the keyboard.
Darksonic
I heard that the brown/blue ones are the best for typing and reds are the best for gaming in general, since the key activates with a 45g preassure only or so, and it's the softer one. Though they're terrible for typing.
I got the CM Storm with Red switches 3 weeks ago and I can confirm that if you want a better experience in osu!/gaming you should definitely get it, this or whichever red switches keyboard.
jesse1412

Vertius wrote:

Well i've just red the answers and I see that most recommended switches are Browns and Reds so now the question is - should i get Browns or Reds? I don't think i'll be able to test them out, never met any CM Storm keyboard in a shop exhibition.
Red.
Topic Starter
Vertius
I've counted many answers, not only from this thread but also from two or three other threads and the Red switches are the winners. I'm probably going to get the Cherry MX Red then, but i've got one question to MX Red users. Is it really hard to type properly with them? I found some people saying that it's hard to type with them and also i've got another question, because when i was reading other threads I read that connection makes difference too, I mean that it makes difference that it has PS/2 or USB connection. Some people said that PS/2 is much better for mechanical keyboards, i don't think it makes a difference, but maybe im wrong :)
I hope i didnt make too many mistakes :D
Syrus
It is not hard to type with reds, but it feels better to type with blues/browns. I have never used a PS/2 cable so I have no idea if it is different from using a standard USB.
iSpR1Te
If you want to try all the switches at the same time you can buy one of these....

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard ... r-kit.html
Tshemmp
Use PS/2 if possible. USB works with a certain frequency (125 Hz for example) which means in the worst case scenario your input signal takes some time (7 ms for example) to "process". This isn't the case with PS/2 which works instantly.
show more