forum

[Archived] Osu capped at refresh rate

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Serinityy
Problem details: I have a laptop with a 60Hz refresh rate, I used to somehow have that overrided and was getting 240 FPS, and like only a 1ms delay. I recently reset my laptop and reinstalled Osu and now, at the main menu I get 240 FPS but as soon as I start a map it gets capped at 60 and 8-15ms delay. I've been searching around reading other posts and trying everything that was recommended on them, like disabling VSync, Triple Buffer. Setting the fps limiter to optimal instead of unlimited. making sure vsync is disabled in NVidia control panel. I've made sure osu is running on the correct graphics card. ive set the refreshrate = 240 and something else to 0 in a notepad in the osu folder. I've disabled Geforce and Xbox overlay but im still capped at 60 fps with 8-15ms delay. I also know it's not a hardware issue because I get 200 FPS on games like Apex with no issue
AccountWontWork
You get 60 fps because you only have a 60hz monitor.
Topic Starter
Serinityy

AccountWontWork wrote:

I know, but there is a way to override that and make it go higher anyways. I used to my FPS higher than my refresh rate, but now its capped. How can I override it?

Edit:
I've also made sure to have VSync and triple buffer disabled in geforce experience

and i added refreshrate = 240 and overriderefreshrate = 1 in the osu!.user.cfg
MusicRitman

Serinityy wrote:

AccountWontWork wrote:

I know, but there is a way to override that and make it go higher anyways. I used to my FPS higher than my refresh rate, but now its capped. How can I override it?

Edit:
I've also made sure to have VSync and triple buffer disabled in geforce experience

You can make your own fps limit. Unlimited would lock it on the refresh rate, but limiting fps to, lets say, 1000 would do what you want I guess.

I don't remember how to overwrite the fps limit though, search for it I guess.

Edit: It is named CustomFrameLimit in the cfg file. Just put whatever number of fps limit you want I guess
Topic Starter
Serinityy

MusicRitman wrote:

Serinityy wrote:

AccountWontWork wrote:

Edit:

You can make your own fps limit. Unlimited would lock it on the refresh rate, but limiting fps to, lets say, 1000 would do what you want I guess.

Edit: It is named CustomFrameLimit in the cfg file. Just put whatever number of fps limit you want I guess
Edit: I just fixed the issue and turned vsync off in the config, now im getting unlimited frames but im still getting 4ms delay at the main menu and 16ms delay in game. also if i turn compatibility mode on, its forcing vsync on
MusicRitman

Serinityy wrote:

MusicRitman wrote:

Serinityy wrote:

AccountWontWork wrote:

Edit:

Edit: I just fixed the issue and turned vsync off in the config, now im getting unlimited frames but im still getting 4ms delay at the main menu and 16ms delay in game. also if i turn compatibility mode on, its forcing vsync on
Main menu always stays at 4.2ms so it is not the issue.
Topic Starter
Serinityy

MusicRitman wrote:

Serinityy wrote:

MusicRitman wrote:

Serinityy wrote:

AccountWontWork wrote:

Edit:

Main menu always stays at 4.2ms so it is not the issue.
The issue is VSync is enabled, and I can't disable it
HoosierTransfer
if your monitor is at 60fps why would you want to go higher
Blushing
@Serinityy do you happen to know your CPU/GPU? Like does it run optimus or something of the sort?
Topic Starter
Serinityy

HoosierTransfer wrote:

if your monitor is at 60fps why would you want to go higher
I mean I don't mind 60 FPS. The FPS is not the problem. The problem is that something is forcing VSync, I don't know if it's Osu, or something on my end. VSync causes delay. I'm more worried about the delay than the FPS and if I can disable VSync It will solve the issue

And @Blushing I'm not sure about that
AccountWontWork
how much delay do you get?
THSM09
Maybe if nothing works you can just copy all your songs and replay in a thumbdrive and reisntall osu.
Topic Starter
Serinityy

AccountWontWork wrote:

how much delay do you get?
idk I did something in my .cfg and now I'm getting 40ms of delay. Before this issue I used to get less than like 2, when this issue started I was getting 18ms delay and I thought that was unplayable but now 40ms of delay is really unplayable
AccountWontWork
hmm... this is why I don't mess with config files.

you should just reinstall osu! again as THSM09 has said, it will most likely fix the problem.
Topic Starter
Serinityy
So I've somehow managed to get get unlimited FPS working and my FPS is 400 now which is good, but I'm still stuck at 4ms delay even though it says only 4ms delay, it feels like it's way more than that and it feels like there's alot of drag. I have enhanced pointer precision disabled in my mouse settings
AccountWontWork
try turning on compatibility mode and see if it fixes the problem.
Topic Starter
Serinityy

AccountWontWork wrote:

try turning on compatibility mode and see if it fixes the problem.
I've tried that as well. I don't understand what the issue is... I can play games like Apex, Fortnite, Warzone on 240 FPS with little to no noticeable delay on max graphics settings. But Osu my FPS is all over the place like at the main menu, it's capped at 60, in game it jumps around from 120-400 and it's stuttery making it unplayable, but when I pause the game it gets capped at 120. It's all over the place and I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, I've tried almost every combination of settings, I've tried editing the fps cap and v sync in the .cfg but nothing works. Also not to mention, it says im getting 4ms delay, but it feels like im getting waaaay more than 4ms, and I'm getting some kind of drag or acceleration or maybe even both and I know it's not on my end because I have none of these issues on other games
twerkfart
If you have an nvidia card you can open the nvidia control panel and go to program settings under manage 3d settings, choose your osu and put it into ultra low latency mode
dytmixian
I think you can go to the setting, graphic > list renderer there's the frame limiter, it's the vsync