forum

Unicode in difficulty names

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sxnshine2020
Can ranked maps have unicode on their difficulty names? I want to use these unicodes: ←♥ but I don't know if the diffs are rankable with unicode in them, can anyone reply to me?
bluirre
I doubt any unicode is possible and rankable in dif names, some symbols have been allowed in the past but it’d just be safe to not add them at all since I’ve never seen those symbols in ranked difs before
lewski

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Avoid non-alphanumeric unicode characters in a difficulty's name. These can cause errors with the beatmap submission system and problems for certain users when appearing in chat.
if you have characters that cause no issues for anyone you can go ahead and use them (but good luck testing that)

in my experience, though, a lot of the time you won't even be able to upload the map if you have unicode in the diffname so it's usually gonna be really obvious when you can't use a character
abraker
This is everything the ranking criteria has in regards to difficulty name

Rules:
  1. Difficulty names in a beatmap must be clearly progressive and accurately indicating of their respective difficulties, excluding:
    1. The highest difficulty of each game mode.
    2. The highest difficulties of each game mode with a similar level of difficulty, applying only to Insane and Extra difficulties (e.g. the Insane difficulties of a ENHIIII set or the Extra difficulties of a ENHIIXXX set).
  2. A beatmap's custom difficulty naming must follow a common theme or pattern related to the song or difficulty and must not be misrepresentative. A difficulty name is misrepresentative if it implies a different difficulty level (e.g. naming an "Expert" difficulty as "Normal").
  3. A difficulty's name must not solely consist of one or more usernames. Words that happen to be usernames are acceptable within difficulty names as long as they relate to the song.
  4. A beatmap host cannot indicate possession in a difficulty's name. (e.g. Beatmap Host's Insane). Conflicts caused by beatmapping multiple songs with the same metadata and collaborative difficulties are the only exceptions. Guest difficulties, however, may indicate possession with its creators' username or nickname.
Guidelines:
  1. Avoid difficulty names with descriptive elements not clearly related to a guest difficulty creator or a level of difficulty. (e.g. Beatmap Creator's Tragic Love Extra)

Nothing about not having non readable characters. So if the osu! client doesn't complain, I don't see why Unicode would not be allowed.
lewski
why are you gaslighting me lmao the guideline i referenced is right under the part you pasted
lpavbak
I don’t know if this will be the case with all beatmaps using unicode characters in the difficulty name, but this one that I uploaded over a year ago looks like.
Imgur
Jason X
Kind of necro I guess, but since the map you mean does have a problem:

lpavbak wrote:

I don’t know if this will be the case with all beatmaps using unicode characters in the difficulty name, but this one that I uploaded over a year ago looks like.
Imgur is doing its usual thing by not loading shit...
Either way I assume you're talking about this map(screenshot): beatmapsets/1690850
I can tell you, the server does not like the Unicode in use here, else it wouldn't react with a "missing" page despite the map being there.

My recommendation is to not use Unicode in the difficulty name, as it can cause problems like with your map, just like lewski pointed out above:

lewski wrote:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Avoid non-alphanumeric unicode characters in a difficulty's name. These can cause errors with the beatmap submission system and problems for certain users when appearing in chat.
Also, if you encounter any other problems, it's better to make a new thread and link to other ones you think are related to the problem.
Ryu Sei
Using non-ASCII characters for file names (or specifically any non-printable characters beyond CP1252 code page for some reason) causes error when importing the beatmap for other users, so you shouldn't use that.

For some reason, characters got incorrectly encoded when exporting. I wonder why peppy won't fix this behavior...
lewski

Ryu Sei wrote:

I wonder why peppy won't fix this behavior...
he would have to touch the stable codebase