forum

Random Song Selection for Download

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +53
Topic Starter
Steinerghost
I think it would be a good idea to add a feature to the website that adds a random button to select songs. Sometimes you know what type of song you're looking for, but other times you may feel more adventurous. It would be good to help people discover new beat maps that they might not have ever found on their own. I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement, but I'd imagine it'd be something similar to the random page button on all of the wikis.

Thoughts?
Your Good Self
Download a random beatmap pack maybe?

http://osu.ppy.sh/p/packlist
Topic Starter
Steinerghost
I guess that would work. I just thought it'd be cool to streamline the concept.
Nathanael

Steinerghost wrote:

I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement, but I'd imagine it'd be something similar to the random page button on all of the wikis.
It seems easy to implement this but I don't know if many people will use it.

Its like getting a random number as the beatmap ID ( with the range of the oldest to the newest )
If beatmap is not ranked or whatever it is, it'll generate another random number until it is ranked and it will load at your browser.
Your Good Self

Nathanael wrote:

It seems easy to implement this but I don't know if many people will use it.
Agreed. peppy is a busy guy so he should add it only if a large number of people support it. Problem is no one's supporting this yet :|

Nathanael wrote:

Its like getting a random number as the beatmap ID ( with the range of the oldest to the newest )
If beatmap is not ranked or whatever it is, it'll generate another random number until it is ranked and it will load at your browser.
Doesn't look like a very efficient solution. There are much, much more unranked maps than ranked maps (might be slow if you keep searching).
Would be better if you stored the IDs of ranked maps, then randomly select one from there (maps need to be automatically added on ranking).

Steinerghost wrote:

I guess that would work. I just thought it'd be cool to streamline the concept.
Or maybe just a button for random beatmap pack (generate random number, open the relevant section). Most, if not all maps are ranked in there right?
Primula_old
You can kinda do this with the map downloader provided in osu!np
You can search for a list of random maps (only ranked) by changing the page index from any number between 0 to 8000 (newest to oldest) and you can preview the maps before downloading.
Fayte
(excuse the old thread bump but I'd prefer to bump than to make my own thread)

This would be good to implement into the new site before it is launched.
Bara-
No need to apologize
In the F-reqs forum, it's much preferred to bump threads (unless they are in "Completed Requests"
This can be rather nice actually
Seijiro
Feature requests regarding the new osu!website go to the osu-web Github repository.
Don't ask here for those, please.