forum

Coda - BLOODY STREAM (TV Size)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
D33d
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on 02 October 2013 at 17:27:19

Artist: Coda
Title: BLOODY STREAM (TV Size)
Source: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Tags: Xgor ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 Joseph Joestar ジョセフ・ジョースター Part II Battle Tendency opening theme no Kimyou na Bouken
BPM: 132
Filesize: 21517kb
Play Time: 01:29
Difficulties Available:
  1. Bloody (5 stars, 231 notes)
  2. Easy (1.45 stars, 60 notes)
  3. Normal (3.79 stars, 117 notes)
  4. Xgor's Hard (4.83 stars, 163 notes)
Download: Coda - BLOODY STREAM (TV Size)
Download: Coda - BLOODY STREAM (TV Size) (no video)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------

All of my love goes out to Jarby, for cutting the full track to TV Size for me.
All of my other love goes out to ampzz, for encoding me a much nicer video. It's so pretty.
Hard by the award-winning Xgor, and why not! Enjoy the styling of this balanced mapset.
Topic Starter
D33d
So that people realise that I've already consulted people in order to try and improve this:

Quiz-chan made general suggestions about flow and repetition, although I don't think addressing them would add to the map much.

Azer suggested turning a long stream into a 1/4 slider pattern before the break. He also suggested one or two other things, which I can't quite remember.

Shiro suggested lowering the OD to 7, adding some lead-in circles to the chorus and filling out some parts of the chorus. I might apply these, but the space in particular is there to create pacing and give the player a bit of breathing space. Even in a short map, I still like to let the player chill out a bit and settle back into the music.

Dizco suggested the lead-in thing as well, so I may end up adding something before the chorus after all. However, I still prefer the tension of absolute silence.

DJPop may be making at least one mania map for this song. I also took the liberty of helping Xgor to tidy and refine his map a little bit, as well as giving it my hitsounds, so it's about as good as we can get it for now. Ploughing on with standard only. I'd rather focus on the core experience and not hinder myself with anything else.

I'm a little bit unsure about the difficulty spread and could probably change a fair amount without too much fuss. Feel free to tell me if something feels too hard in its context.

That's all! Please, mod away when this is finished.
Jarby
I already looked at the rest of it, but then you went and added another difficulty. Fucker.

Easy:

Well done on working around the slightly more complex rhythms here without resorting to long sliders or 1/1 spam. My only real concern is that 01:18:241 (1,2,3) - might be a little bit difficult to read. I suggest watching a couple of somewhat new players go through the difficulty if you care to, but I'm pretty sure it'd be fine.
Topic Starter
D33d

Jarby wrote:

Fucker
Yep, that's my job. :3

Hey, thank you. I'm very conscious of that alone--at the time, I was concentrating more on how I could express the offbeats through sliderticks. Otherwise, I'll simplify it in a fairly mundane fashion or whatever.

DISCLAIMER: I'm probably going to fiddle with Normal a fair bit, so apologies if I ninja any modding. Talking to YGOkid steered me a bit more towards making Normal easier, since even the "high-tier" excuse is pushing my luck a bit.
Kareov

D33d wrote:

Kidder
UnderminE
Man i love you so much
RandomJibberish
Many <333s.
YGOkid8
*scratch scratch* i'm out of new things to say.

suggestions, adding in my own interpretation i suppose.

[Easy]
00:21:423 - Gap is nice, but just a bit long for me. Was thinking of a beat here, but not exactly sure it sounds good or not. Regardless, suggestion is to fill in the gap a tiny bit.
00:30:060 - Again, I think filling in the gap a bit would be nice, but not sure of how it sounds. Dammit D33d, you didn't make this easy, lol.
00:33:241 - Two hitcircles, one on beats 2 and 4? Hooray to someone who actually knows music and its terminology. :D
00:52:787 (1,3) - I generally avoid having c&p sliders unchanged like this, mainly because it has a sort of implication that the bits they are mapped to are the same. Which, in this case, are similar, but not the same. Changing the curve side would make them lose their attack and impact, so my suggestion would be to flip (3) horizontally and adjust as such. So that it's similar, but not the same, just like the music. Or if you can think of something else, that works as well.
01:07:332 (1,3) - Ditto.

[Normal]
  1. Made plenty of comments on how I thought it was too hard and stuff. Suggested for 00:52:787 (1,2) and 00:54:605 (1,2) and 01:05:514 (1,2) to be changed into sliders. Otherwise overall, pretty satisfied with this diff now. :)

[Xgor's Hard]
  1. Most of my suggestions if not all of them essentially question your style of mapping, but only because I think some flow would feel better that way. So please bare with me :>
00:07:332 (1,2,3,4) - Formation moves in a downward direction, e.g. from (1) to (2), so the flow from (3) to (4) felt a bit off. I suggest moving the (4) down so that the slider head of (1), slider end of (3) and the slider head of (4) line up (ideally spaced equally apart). I think that'll flow better, and looks more consistent too.
00:11:764 (4,5,6,7) - I think this would play better if it was more zig-zagged. Screenshot example:
00:13:241 (8,9,1,2) - Same thing here, something more zig-zaggy would feel nice. But because of style, if you position them at right-angles, it would still work out. Mine's not perfect right-angles, but eh it's the idea that counts:
00:17:560 (1,2,3,4,5) - Ack, (2) is very close to the (7)! A bit icky on the eyes, but no biggie. Otherwise, I think this bit would play better if you have (4) fall onto (5). Screenshot whoo:
00:21:878 (3,4,5,6) - As before.
00:26:310 (4,5,6,7) - Not a fan of the straight line flow here, but I don't have an alternative either. Just thought I'd let my thoughts out anyway.
00:29:946 (3,4,5,6) - If positioned right, you could have (6) blanket the (3) slider, and I think that'd be pretty cool. Again my example is bad but:
00:59:037 (2) - Imo, would sound better if you ended it at the white tick earlier, then add a hitcircle where it originally ended. Would suit that base motif thing in the music better as well.
01:03:696 (1,2) - Copy and paste (1) then rotate twice for circular motion. I believe it fits the vocals here more, rather than a straight line with (2).
01:05:514 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - Not too sure on the rhythm going on here. Using D33d's way of describing (underline = beat, no UL = no beat), I think 1e+a2e+a would be more appropriate. Well, give it a shot I reckon.
01:13:582 (2) - As before.
01:14:605 (1,2) - A bit too close for my eye, move the (2) out a bit more?
01:16:423 (1,2) - ^
01:18:241 (1,2) - ^
01:22:332 (2,3) - Rhythm here doesn't sound and feel very nice imo, and I'm not exactly feeling it in the music too. Start (3) 1/4 later, end it 1/4 later and hey presto, appropriateness. Feels funky too~
01:23:469 - Add a beat here to keep the funkiness going~
01:24:605 (7) - As before.
01:25:287 - Before as.

[Insane]
  1. As with Xgor's diff, suggestions may conflict with style, but will suggest things I think can be better anyway, so please bare with me~
00:10:969 (3) - I think it'll flow better if you move down and left a bit, so (2) kinda diagonally dips into the (3). Right now it kinda cuts across the map, and I just think it'd suit the music more with the dip.
00:25:515 (5) - As before.
00:59:150 - Break feels a bit awkward, would prefer if you mapped to that bass bit in the music.
01:02:674 (4) - Personally feel it'd be better if you mapped to the vocals more here, simply because in the previous combo you were mapping quite heavily to it, so feels a bit off to suddenly go to the trumpet(?). Or a combination of both, but more vocal mapping here, basically.
01:22:673 (5) - Think would play and sound better if you shorten by 1/4, then add a circle where it originally ended. Funkiness.
01:23:469 - Also a beat here.
01:24:492 (5) - As before.
01:25:287 - Ditto.
Nice map! Overall very fun to play. :)
Topic Starter
D33d
I'm going to go through this bit by bit over the next couple of days, since I don't have much time at the moment. I'll have Xgor look at his diff again and talk to him about which changes would work and all.

Xgor's given me permission to change his diff as I see fit, but I still consulted him.

YGOkid8 wrote:

*scratch scratch* i'm out of new things to say.

suggestions, adding in my own interpretation i suppose.

[Easy]
00:21:423 - Gap is nice, but just a bit long for me. Was thinking of a beat here, but not exactly sure it sounds good or not. Regardless, suggestion is to fill in the gap a tiny bit. There's not really a sensible way to fill in anything here and, for the sake of pacing, I think it'd be better if the horn lick was used to signify a break between sections.
00:30:060 - Again, I think filling in the gap a bit would be nice, but not sure of how it sounds. Dammit D33d, you didn't make this easy, lol. I think that this could work--going three, four, one ought to work musically. I mostly wanted to leave ample space after a longish repeat slider. Changed this.
00:33:241 - Two hitcircles, one on beats 2 and 4? Hooray to someone who actually knows music and its terminology. :D I've been considering this too. Again, I want to leave plenty of recovery time after a really long slider. However, this might be too forgiving when I want a high-tier mapset overall. Even so, leaving this space tends to signify that a spinner's coming up and also gives the player more time to prepare for it.
00:52:787 (1,3) - I generally avoid having c&p sliders unchanged like this, mainly because it has a sort of implication that the bits they are mapped to are the same. Which, in this case, are similar, but not the same. Changing the curve side would make them lose their attack and impact, so my suggestion would be to flip (3) horizontally and adjust as such. So that it's similar, but not the same, just like the music. Or if you can think of something else, that works as well. The phrasing is exactly the same, so I used flow and direction to reflect the rising, repeated phrasing. I think that this makes plenty of sense.
01:07:332 (1,3) - Ditto.

[Normal]
  1. Made plenty of comments on how I thought it was too hard and stuff. Suggested for 00:52:787 (1,2) and 00:54:605 (1,2) and 01:05:514 (1,2) to be changed into sliders. Otherwise overall, pretty satisfied with this diff now. :)

As mentioned, I'm still trying to decide if sliders would feel powerful enough. I think that these patterns are justified in a harder normal, but I feel like I could make them flow into each other more smoothly.

[Xgor's Hard]
  1. Most of my suggestions if not all of them essentially question your style of mapping, but only because I think some flow would feel better that way. So please bare with me :>
00:07:332 (1,2,3,4) - Formation moves in a downward direction, e.g. from (1) to (2), so the flow from (3) to (4) felt a bit off. I suggest moving the (4) down so that the slider head of (1), slider end of (3) and the slider head of (4) line up (ideally spaced equally apart). I think that'll flow better, and looks more consistent too. They're all intended as blankets, but I prefer the directional changes. It creates a nice swooping feeling.
00:11:764 (4,5,6,7) - I think this would play better if it was more zig-zagged. Screenshot example:
Frankly, I don't. This was something different until I asked for it to be changed, since there was a forced 1/1 stack. However, I'd rather have the pattern move down onto the downbeat. To me, it makes more sense to do that.
00:13:241 (8,9,1,2) - Same thing here, something more zig-zaggy would feel nice. But because of style, if you position them at right-angles, it would still work out. Mine's not perfect right-angles, but eh it's the idea that counts:

I was going to disagree because the lines work and working this into the next objects would be difficult, but I made it work and it makes the overall flow better.
00:17:560 (1,2,3,4,5) - Ack, (2) is very close to the (7)! A bit icky on the eyes, but no biggie. Otherwise, I think this bit would play better if you have (4) fall onto (5). Screenshot whoo:

I moved the preceding circle and line further to the left, so that I could make (1,2,3) less steep. This got rid of the closeness and also meant that they could flow into (4) a bit more nicely. I've also changed (4), because I didn't like the appearance nor flow either.
00:21:878 (3,4,5,6) - As before.
00:26:310 (4,5,6,7) - Not a fan of the straight line flow here, but I don't have an alternative either. Just thought I'd let my thoughts out anyway. Sometimes, "boring" flow makes more sense, since it tends to be the best way to move across the screen.
00:29:946 (3,4,5,6) - If positioned right, you could have (6) blanket the (3) slider, and I think that'd be pretty cool. Again my example is bad but:
This was what Xgor had attempted, but it obviously didn't quite work. I'm not going to rotate (6), but I'll try to tidy the blanket somewhat.
00:59:037 (2) - Imo, would sound better if you ended it at the white tick earlier, then add a hitcircle where it originally ended. Would suit that base motif thing in the music better as well. I'll do that, but not add another circle. I don't like the fact that the space between vocal lines is filled by a load of continuous flow. Actually, I made the two sliders blanket. I believe that the sharper flow will still feel appropriate.
01:03:696 (1,2) - Copy and paste (1) then rotate twice for circular motion. I believe it fits the vocals here more, rather than a straight line with (2). I prefer the change in flow, considering what it leads to and all.
01:05:514 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - Not too sure on the rhythm going on here. Using D33d's way of describing (underline = beat, no UL = no beat), I think 1e+a2e+a would be more appropriate. Well, give it a shot I reckon. I suggested this rhythm because the horns accentuate something different to that rhythm. Your rhythm would fit the middle of the verse, which is a different lick.
01:13:582 (2) - As before. Made this even better by rotating the arc, then adding a circle after it to lead into the end of the chorus.
01:14:605 (1,2) - A bit too close for my eye, move the (2) out a bit more?
01:16:423 (1,2) - ^
01:18:241 (1,2) - ^

Moved them by one grid each.

01:22:332 (2,3) - Rhythm here doesn't sound and feel very nice imo, and I'm not exactly feeling it in the music too. Start (3) 1/4 later, end it 1/4 later and hey presto, appropriateness. Feels funky too~ I would actually suggest a 1/2 slider, followed by a 3/4 slider, but it's Xgor's call. Yeah I basically did that, then put circles on the exposed snares. I kept the circular motion consistent.
01:23:469 - Add a beat here to keep the funkiness going~ Pretty much wanted to separate the patterns and follow the bass across the board.
01:24:605 (7) - As before.
01:25:287 - Before as.

[Insane]
  1. As with Xgor's diff, suggestions may conflict with style, but will suggest things I think can be better anyway, so please bare with me~
00:10:969 (3) - I think it'll flow better if you move down and left a bit, so (2) kinda diagonally dips into the (3). Right now it kinda cuts across the map, and I just think it'd suit the music more with the dip. I still find it debatable that "better flow" would really suit the effect that I was going for--the angle emphasises the downbeat in a way which isn't overbearing (to me). Something for me to consider,anyway.
00:25:515 (5) - As before.
00:59:150 - Break feels a bit awkward, would prefer if you mapped to that bass bit in the music. I really don't think that it's work well for the pacing--the patterns have already stormed through the lines in the music and the next phrase was separated intentionally.
01:02:674 (4) - Personally feel it'd be better if you mapped to the vocals more here, simply because in the previous combo you were mapping quite heavily to it, so feels a bit off to suddenly go to the trumpet(?). Or a combination of both, but more vocal mapping here, basically. I asked Xgor how to approach this part and we agreed that following the stabs would be better for consistence. While this differs from the other diffs, I feel that the stabs are easier to follow with the patterns' intensity... That, and I'd have to rethink the entire pattern and the one after it.
01:22:673 (5) - Think would play and sound better if you shorten by 1/4, then add a circle where it originally ended. Funkiness. I thought that the tick would reflect the offbeat well enough, but it doesn't really cut through, even when I increase the volume. This is worth it.
01:23:469 - Also a beat here. No. I wanted obvious separation between the patterns. It's a wind-down pattern, so I wanted to leave a bit more space.
01:24:492 (5) - As before.
01:25:287 - Ditto.
Nice map! Overall very fun to play. :)
Oh, I had the time after all. Thank you.
Irreversible
Take my mod. Tomorrow. Going to sleep now. :D

Alright, so here I am, modding as per request~

Omg, I just love these kind of songs.

[General]

Are you sure there should be only two tags? I don't know if it's from an anime at all, but you might think about adding some more.

[Bloody]

First thoughts: Aw, I love the doublets and overall it's just great to play. You use your patterns very well! But sometimes your pattern seems to be broken. I'll try to mod them out. Don't forget, these are just suggestions.

00:12:333 (8) - Just saw a blanket error. I'm sure it wasn't there before.

00:24:150 (9) - Here for example: You always use squares, is there a reason why this is just .. not a square anymore? I don't think 'variation' is valid, since it would look neater if you let it look like a square. There would be an overlap though.. Maybe you just wanna rethink the whole thing?

00:32:787 (9,10) - Maybe just me, but what did you try to follow here? I don't quite get the rhythm here. Wouldn't it be better to follow the lyrics?

00:51:878 - So empty :(

00:55:401 (5) - I'm pretty sure you can improve your blanket here. Would just look neater if you compare the good blankets you've had before.

00:57:787 (6,7,1,2,3,4,5) - Just some ideas how I would do it, it is a bit lame that there is a very small break after, (well obviously for a good reason) so why not put something a bit more exciting before:

352,112,57787,1,8,0:0:0:0:
144,192,58014,1,10,3:0:0:0:
328,288,58242,5,4,3:0:0:0:
184,360,58469,1,2,3:0:0:0:
328,288,58696,1,8,0:0:0:0:
328,288,58810,1,2,3:0:0:0:
144,192,59037,1,2,1:2:0:0:

Would be a nice variation to your patterns before!

01:00:060 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - Are you sure you can't move this a little down? I feel a bit awkward everytime i have to go to that right top corner. Also, there won't be much problems caused by that, i assume.

01:08:128 (5) - Seems like this part is copy pasted, please take care of the things above here!

00:28:923 (1) - Any further reasons why this isn't placed on the x-axis? Just nazi.. but y'know.. still kinda important.

Good stuff, really, feel free to deny everything~

[Xgor's Hard]

First impression: Well, i'm a bit split up. . :/ You've ignored really important beats, and I think some more doublets wouldn't hurt, even in a hard >< And some of the placed sliders seem just very long, and arbitrary placed. I'll point some out, but is rather due to personal preferences, so please please don't feel offended by my opinion.

00:10:060 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - It's just the whole combo here I kinda dislike. Not that it's bad: But in my opinion 00:12:332 (5,6,7) - is just too acute-angled, you know? If you like it, a NC might help, so people can clearly see this cut you've (probably) wanted to create.

00:15:628 (5) - Maybe you can see the problem itself here: The strong beat is on the white tick, and you end a slider on it. This is not really recommendable! You might want to rearrange this little part, you can ask me for a suggestion though, but there will be more cases like this.

00:26:878 (5,6,7) - I personally prefer this version!

00:29:150 (2) - Sounds wrong..

00:57:673 (7) - I know, it's hard. But consider adding a doublet here, wahh >< It just makes me sad that you ignore this strong vocal here.

01:06:650 (7) - NC to announce the SV change, it's still rather high imo. So it would just be nice to let the player know :P

01:20:514 (9) - NC due to new 'part'.

Also: You shouldn't forget that if you have a finish, there should be something to click (most of the time though, for example: 00:56:196 (6) - , I recommend http://puu.sh/4ylvH.jpg, even if it's a bit harder (1/4 slider + circle)) Just to emphasize the strong beats more.

[Normal]

00:46:423 (3,1) - Could you compare this blanket with 00:48:241 (3,1) - this one please? I think it would look neater if you move 00:49:150 (1) - a bit downwards to keep consistency. yeah.. Nobody's gonna kill you because of that, I strongly assume xD

good normal, really good. I love 01:07:786 (2,3,4,5) - those kind of patterns!

01:18:696 (1,2) - Same problem as above, with 01:19:491 (3,4) - .

[Easy]

00:16:423 (3) - Up to you, make a nice blanket, or let the end land on the x-axis? :D I prefer the blanket, since you can see this a bit better, if it's off.

00:30:969 (3) - o_o nice

Nothing else to complain here, good easy + normal!

Good luck!
Jenny

Please? (also, currently, 7 is not consistent in distance to 3 o3o)
Topic Starter
D33d

Irreversible wrote:

Take my mod. Tomorrow. Going to sleep now. :D

Alright, so here I am, modding as per request~

Omg, I just love these kind of songs.

[General]

Are you sure there should be only two tags? I don't know if it's from an anime at all, but you might think about adding some more. Do I need more?

[Bloody]

First thoughts: Aw, I love the doublets and overall it's just great to play. You use your patterns very well! But sometimes your pattern seems to be broken. I'll try to mod them out. Don't forget, these are just suggestions.

00:12:333 (8) - Just saw a blanket error. I'm sure it wasn't there before. Something must have went wrong on your end, because it's perfect for me.

00:24:150 (9) - Here for example: You always use squares, is there a reason why this is just .. not a square anymore? I don't think 'variation' is valid, since it would look neater if you let it look like a square. There would be an overlap though.. Maybe you just wanna rethink the whole thing? I wanted to create a different type of flow here--this was derived from when I used this pattern twice, except that it had ended with a slider. I'll put the slider back, since it makes more sense. The idea was to align the end of the pattern with (3) and (4), but it just looks messy with circles.

00:32:787 (9,10) - Maybe just me, but what did you try to follow here? I don't quite get the rhythm here. Wouldn't it be better to follow the lyrics? Firstly, the tick and end of (9) match the vocal notes perfectly. Secondly, the sliders are following the underlying groove--it's not as obvious, but you would notice the lack of anything mapped to it otherwise.

00:51:878 - So empty :( Notice that the groove doesn't return until the chorus. I prefer to map to an actual groove, but I need to put a break back.

00:55:401 (5) - I'm pretty sure you can improve your blanket here. Would just look neater if you compare the good blankets you've had before. That blanket's been surprisingly awkward and I'd need to keep fiddling with SV changes, so I'll do that sometime.

00:57:787 (6,7,1,2,3,4,5) - Just some ideas how I would do it, it is a bit lame that there is a very small break after, (well obviously for a good reason) so why not put something a bit more exciting before: I find it more fitting to leave space between vocal phrases, so that the whole chorus isn't a constant influx of object after object. Plus, it gives some time to anticipate where the next pattern begins, being right on the corner of the playfield. My initial response is now redundant, since I figured out a satisfying and attractive pattern to end on beat 4.It leads into the next pattern quite nicely, especially after I moved the pattern down a bit.

352,112,57787,1,8,0:0:0:0:
144,192,58014,1,10,3:0:0:0:
328,288,58242,5,4,3:0:0:0:
184,360,58469,1,2,3:0:0:0:
328,288,58696,1,8,0:0:0:0:
328,288,58810,1,2,3:0:0:0:
144,192,59037,1,2,1:2:0:0:

Would be a nice variation to your patterns before!

01:00:060 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - Are you sure you can't move this a little down? I feel a bit awkward everytime i have to go to that right top corner. Also, there won't be much problems caused by that, i assume. Yes, the score also overlaps the start. I don't want to risk compromising the flow by changing this too much, but I will find a workaround.

01:08:128 (5) - Seems like this part is copy pasted, please take care of the things above here! At first, I thought that you were complaining about copypaste. Then I read it properly. I'll do what I can.

00:28:923 (1) - Any further reasons why this isn't placed on the x-axis? Just nazi.. but y'know.. still kinda important. Yes. The end of the orange combo's aligned triangularly with the next combo, which is the arranged rectangularly and otherwise everything's all aligned in a specific way. Moving the circle onto the axis would be impossible without breaking spacing/making something ugly.

Good stuff, really, feel free to deny everything~

[Xgor's Hard]

First impression: Well, i'm a bit split up. . :/ You've ignored really important beats, and I think some more doublets wouldn't hurt, even in a hard >< And some of the placed sliders seem just very long, and arbitrary placed. I'll point some out, but is rather due to personal preferences, so please please don't feel offended by my opinion.

00:10:060 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - It's just the whole combo here I kinda dislike. Not that it's bad: But in my opinion 00:12:332 (5,6,7) - is just too acute-angled, you know? If you like it, a NC might help, so people can clearly see this cut you've (probably) wanted to create.

00:15:628 (5) - Maybe you can see the problem itself here: The strong beat is on the white tick, and you end a slider on it. This is not really recommendable! You might want to rearrange this little part, you can ask me for a suggestion though, but there will be more cases like this.

00:26:878 (5,6,7) - I personally prefer this version!

00:29:150 (2) - Sounds wrong..

00:57:673 (7) - I know, it's hard. But consider adding a doublet here, wahh >< It just makes me sad that you ignore this strong vocal here.

01:06:650 (7) - NC to announce the SV change, it's still rather high imo. So it would just be nice to let the player know :P

01:20:514 (9) - NC due to new 'part'.

Ugh, let's see. Sorry to be so dismissive, but the rhythms make perfect sense with the vocals and arrangement. Some of the offbeats follow obvious musical cues and have a much stronger effect with the pushes. The slidertick/sliderends also follow the vocals in a very subtle and effective way.

Xgor removed some doubles to make the diff less messy and otherwise overly hard, so it's better than it was.

The SV change can be decreased if needed, but I found it easy enough to follow. I find colour gimmicks to be thoroughly pointless and they're merely patchwork over bad mapping.

The new combo wouldn't make sense, because (9,10) are still a part of the same phrase--the vocal note and the organ swell complete the phrase. This is what I mean when I say that there are other important parts of the music. As for how the combo ends, it's following an obvious boom-ka in the drums.

Also: You shouldn't forget that if you have a finish, there should be something to click (most of the time though, for example: 00:56:196 (6) - , I recommend http://puu.sh/4ylvH.jpg, even if it's a bit harder (1/4 slider + circle)) Just to emphasize the strong beats more. This doesn't always have to be the case if it makes sense for flow reasons. Personally, I think that this works well enough, because of how the lyrics are articulated in the example--mabye I could use a different hitsound, but the pattern's flow makes enough sense.

[Normal]

00:46:423 (3,1) - Could you compare this blanket with 00:48:241 (3,1) - this one please? I think it would look neater if you move 00:49:150 (1) - a bit downwards to keep consistency. yeah.. Nobody's gonna kill you because of that, I strongly assume xD I fixed that second blanket.

good normal, really good. I love 01:07:786 (2,3,4,5) - those kind of patterns! Glad you like it--YGO thought that they were too hard, but god damn it they're cool and iconic.

01:18:696 (1,2) - Same problem as above, with 01:19:491 (3,4) - .I moved the slider up a tiny grid.

[Easy]

00:16:423 (3) - Up to you, make a nice blanket, or let the end land on the x-axis? :D I prefer the blanket, since you can see this a bit better, if it's off. I don't know what you mean about the X axis. The slider lands bang-on the axis and then (1) flows from the end, blanketing it as well as I care to make it.

00:30:969 (3) - o_o nice Actually, I still find it a bit ugly, so I'll try and smooth it.

Nothing else to complain here, good easy + normal!

Good luck!
Thanks for looking.
lolcubes
SPOILER
2013-09-25 18:36 lolcubes: ok first of all
2013-09-25 18:36 lolcubes: that break is really offputting
2013-09-25 18:36 lolcubes: it does make sense
2013-09-25 18:36 lolcubes: but i loses the fun factor
2013-09-25 18:36 lolcubes: the song is kinda short :p
2013-09-25 18:36 D33d: Bah
2013-09-25 18:36 lolcubes: its still your decision ill just tell you what i think
2013-09-25 18:37 D33d: I don't care; I still want to leave some rest, especially after a really intense pattern.
2013-09-25 18:37 D33d: Wait
2013-09-25 18:37 lolcubes: well
2013-09-25 18:37 D33d: Do you mean the long or short break?
2013-09-25 18:37 lolcubes: long
2013-09-25 18:37 lolcubes: short one was awesome
2013-09-25 18:37 lolcubes: i like that
2013-09-25 18:37 lolcubes: i use techniques like that myself
2013-09-25 18:37 D33d: I'm definitely not budging on that. Long or short song, I still want to pace things properly.
2013-09-25 18:37 lolcubes: listen to the percussion in that part with the long break
2013-09-25 18:38 lolcubes: you can easily make sparse rhythms
2013-09-25 18:38 lolcubes: which would contrast the upcoming part
2013-09-25 18:38 D33d: I don't mean that. I mean making the next part feel more important.
2013-09-25 18:38 D33d: If I can think of something compelling, I'll add it, but I don't want filler for the sake of it.
2013-09-25 18:38 lolcubes: yeah i know exactly what you mean, im just telling you that i still think you can achieve that just by mapping basic rhythms
2013-09-25 18:38 lolcubes: 00:13:569 (11) -
2013-09-25 18:38 D33d: Of course it's physically doable.
2013-09-25 18:38 lolcubes: lets face it, bloody should be an insane, right?
2013-09-25 18:39 lolcubes: i don't think sliders like this work
2013-09-25 18:39 D33d: It plays like an insane.
2013-09-25 18:39 lolcubes: especially if you have something interesting in the music
2013-09-25 18:39 lolcubes: i noticed you we mapping it like
2013-09-25 18:39 D33d: The ticks carry the offbeats.
2013-09-25 18:39 lolcubes: about 2 bars for melody/upper layer
2013-09-25 18:39 lolcubes: and 2 bars for rhythm
2013-09-25 18:39 lolcubes: yeah but
2013-09-25 18:39 D33d: Yes.
2013-09-25 18:40 lolcubes: thats the thing, the ticks are trying to carry it, but they don't fall that well
2013-09-25 18:40 lolcubes: its like this
2013-09-25 18:40 lolcubes: they carry the offbeats
2013-09-25 18:40 lolcubes: while the main rhythm is not mapped
2013-09-25 18:40 lolcubes: and if you synthesize both
2013-09-25 18:40 lolcubes: you get a "beat" each 1/4
2013-09-25 18:40 lolcubes: for the full slider
2013-09-25 18:40 lolcubes: which is outright confusing to me if i listen carefully
2013-09-25 18:40 lolcubes: for example
2013-09-25 18:41 lolcubes: there is rhythm at 00:13:683 - and 00:13:910 -
2013-09-25 18:41 lolcubes: ticks go on 00:13:797 - and 00:14:024 -
2013-09-25 18:41 lolcubes: see what i mean?
2013-09-25 18:41 D33d: I can break up some of the sliders, but not all of them.
2013-09-25 18:41 lolcubes: that's fine, as i said, i am just telling you my thoughts on the matter
2013-09-25 18:41 D33d: I know.
2013-09-25 18:41 D33d: I'll break up 10
2013-09-25 18:42 lolcubes: 00:20:047 (4) - new combo without a doubt
2013-09-25 18:42 lolcubes: its a unique music layer not existing before which you follow closely
2013-09-25 18:42 D33d: Making 10 a 3/4 slider, I've got the tick and sliderend on the rhythms.
2013-09-25 18:43 lolcubes: can you screenshot the timeline?
2013-09-25 18:43 D33d: Oh I see. I'll use the same combo rotation that I've used for the next half
2013-09-25 18:43 D33d: The slider with the stacked circle go ba-dom, da-dum, da.
2013-09-25 18:44 D33d: Trust me; it fits.
2013-09-25 18:44 D33d: Without repeating the other rhythm as densely
2013-09-25 18:44 lolcubes: 00:27:319 (1,2,3,4) - higher spacing please, the flow gets disrupted because this feels cramped and the horns are quite intense
2013-09-25 18:44 lolcubes: also
2013-09-25 18:44 lolcubes: 2->3 should have biggest spacing
2013-09-25 18:44 lolcubes: not 1->2 and 3->4
2013-09-25 18:45 lolcubes: so basically just make a different kind of symetrical pattern
2013-09-25 18:45 D33d: Yeah I usually just have identical spacing when I do that kind of thing.
2013-09-25 18:45 D33d: Though squares and rectangles like that tend to make sense.
2013-09-25 18:46 lolcubes: while 00:29:706 (3) - is distance snapped, it messes with the reading , i would actually recommend stacking on the slider end
2013-09-25 18:46 D33d: They're now spaced identically.
2013-09-25 18:46 D33d: I am not stacking anything on sliderends.
2013-09-25 18:46 D33d: It plays horribly and looks bad.
2013-09-25 18:46 lolcubes: shouldn't 00:32:319 (7) - be a new combo?
2013-09-25 18:46 lolcubes: 00:32:774 (9,10) - this didn't play well despite being easy
2013-09-25 18:47 lolcubes: the reason is, you suddenly stopped following the vocals, which are actually ending around here
2013-09-25 18:47 lolcubes: and without any visual notification mapped the rest of the rhythm
2013-09-25 18:47 D33d: I agree about the jump pattern being cramped though. I was wondering how I should change it, but I'll keep the change simple.
2013-09-25 18:47 lolcubes: ooh and 00:33:228 (10) - is bad because 00:33:797 - is not mapped :D
2013-09-25 18:48 lolcubes: it should be mapped because 00:33:115 - is mapped
2013-09-25 18:49 lolcubes: 00:35:501 (6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14) - instead of a regular stream i suggest you make a stream with decreasing spacing over time, it would make sense because the intensity is dropping
2013-09-25 18:49 D33d: Those two sliders are following something fairly obvious in the group.
2013-09-25 18:49 D33d: The spacing change in the stream itself signifies the intensity change for me, plus the direction and inward motion.
2013-09-25 18:49 lolcubes: as it is, it's slightly difficult to read and, while it's personal i still think it has some valid thoughts behind it, big spacing changes in streams are damn irritating
2013-09-25 18:50 D33d: The sliders are following pre-established spacing and the stream's compressed to make the thing playable.
2013-09-25 18:50 lolcubes: well
2013-09-25 18:50 D33d: Sliderstreams are generally easier, especially with followcircle leniency, so they can get away with being spaced. Circle streams can't.
2013-09-25 18:50 lolcubes: 00:32:774 (9) - this is anything but obvious to me
2013-09-25 18:51 lolcubes: slider 10 can be obvious if you are thinking about melody only
2013-09-25 18:51 lolcubes: but slider 9 is a mystery
2013-09-25 18:51 lolcubes: simply because while you try to follow something, there are like 5 other things on top of it which are more obvious
2013-09-25 18:51 D33d: But 9 follows the bass and hi-hat, plus the tick and sliderend occur over the vocals.
2013-09-25 18:51 lolcubes: ticks shouldn't represent main beats in my opinion
2013-09-25 18:51 lolcubes: they are too weak for that
2013-09-25 18:51 D33d: 10 then follows the groove as well.
2013-09-25 18:52 lolcubes: they should carry the rhythm instead
2013-09-25 18:52 lolcubes: yeah but look
2013-09-25 18:52 D33d: In the vocal double, the first syllable is weaker.
2013-09-25 18:52 lolcubes: can you really tell me that the slider end beat at 00:33:115 - can match the intensity of the note at 00:33:797 - ?
2013-09-25 18:52 lolcubes: also the groove is at 00:33:797 - as well
2013-09-25 18:52 D33d: I could maybe shorten 9 and put a circle after it.
2013-09-25 18:53 lolcubes: 9 is ookoay
2013-09-25 18:53 lolcubes: okay-*
2013-09-25 18:53 lolcubes: id rather remove 10 and make something else
2013-09-25 18:53 lolcubes: 9 is using it's tick very nicely
2013-09-25 18:53 lolcubes: 10 not so much imo :p
2013-09-25 18:53 D33d: It follows an extremely obvious part of the rhythm section
2013-09-25 18:53 D33d: That Hammond cuts through and so does the open hi-hat
2013-09-25 18:53 lolcubes: look
2013-09-25 18:53 D33d: Also post any of this in the thread--it's useful and I will kudosu.
2013-09-25 18:54 lolcubes: lets not waste so much time on that we can discuss this way too much
2013-09-25 18:54 lolcubes: just say you don't want to change this no matter what
2013-09-25 18:54 lolcubes: and ill go on :p
2013-09-25 18:54 D33d: I know the theory behind what you're saying, believe me. I'll consider it for later!
2013-09-25 18:54 lolcubes: 00:49:137 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - i loved this btw
2013-09-25 18:54 lolcubes: but i think it can be a little better
2013-09-25 18:54 D33d: Yeah when I try to explain something for a while, it's usually because I can't think of something better at the time and will try later. :P
2013-09-25 18:54 D33d: hold on
2013-09-25 18:55 lolcubes: 5-6-7-8 should be even further away from each other
2013-09-25 18:55 lolcubes: sure
2013-09-25 18:55 D33d: No I won't do that--there's a fairly linear increase in intensity.
2013-09-25 18:55 lolcubes: there are 2 things going on
2013-09-25 18:55 lolcubes: you are ignoring either one of them
2013-09-25 18:55 D33d: Other things I'm taking down so far: combo fix in the verse and that slider/circle 1/4.
2013-09-25 18:56 lolcubes: 1) the pitch is rising steadily, 2) the intensity of the notes is rising
2013-09-25 18:56 lolcubes: thats why i think that
2013-09-25 18:56 D33d: ...What? I'm following the horn riff quite clearly.
2013-09-25 18:56 lolcubes: well
2013-09-25 18:56 lolcubes: let me put it this way
2013-09-25 18:56 lolcubes: the pitch of the notes, the volume of the notes
2013-09-25 18:56 lolcubes: those are the 2 reasons i mean
2013-09-25 18:56 D33d: The pattern itself is moving, it's intensifying in a linear way and the horn riff is just climbing.
2013-09-25 18:56 lolcubes: they are both rising
2013-09-25 18:56 lolcubes: i know
2013-09-25 18:56 lolcubes: but for example
2013-09-25 18:56 D33d: The spacing change conveys that.
2013-09-25 18:56 lolcubes: if they were the same volume, all those notes
2013-09-25 18:57 lolcubes: mapping it like it is now would be perfect
2013-09-25 18:57 lolcubes: my point is, one aspect was ignored, which is also your choice ofcourse
2013-09-25 18:57 lolcubes: just saying
2013-09-25 18:57 D33d: The notes are very similar in volume.
2013-09-25 18:57 lolcubes: 00:58:683 (3,4,5) - I don't think you should be using linear spacing here
2013-09-25 18:58 D33d: They're all accented.
2013-09-25 18:58 lolcubes: intensity rises on the vocals, quite a lot
2013-09-25 18:58 lolcubes: 01:05:047 (4,1) - this spacing is really awkard, it should be bigger in my opinion
2013-09-25 18:58 D33d: The directional change conveys the slight stress and the vocals aren't really rising in intensity. They're only rising in pitch.
2013-09-25 18:59 lolcubes: should proobably just rotate the stream by -30 and readjust the position to keep symmetry
2013-09-25 18:59 D33d: The angle onto the slider creates plenty of emphasis anyway, which was exactly why I used sharp angles.
2013-09-25 18:59 lolcubes: 01:06:637 (10) - this was very confusing
2013-09-25 18:59 D33d: I'll try to make that stream's spacing bigger.
2013-09-25 18:59 lolcubes: it does fit, but it should either have a lot bigger spacing
2013-09-25 18:59 D33d: Maybe .8x spacing inatead of .6x
2013-09-25 18:59 lolcubes: nono exactly the opposite, the stream is fine
2013-09-25 18:59 D33d: Oh I see.
2013-09-25 18:59 D33d: Umm.
2013-09-25 18:59 lolcubes: the spacing between the stream and the note before it
2013-09-25 18:59 lolcubes: feels too low
2013-09-25 19:00 lolcubes: because there is a full 1/1 break
2013-09-25 19:00 D33d: I don't think so, because it's still a jump.
2013-09-25 19:00 lolcubes: thats the thing
2013-09-25 19:00 lolcubes: its not a jump
2013-09-25 19:00 lolcubes: look at the spacing
2013-09-25 19:00 lolcubes: prev 1.23, next 1.13
2013-09-25 19:00 lolcubes: thats not a jump :pš
2013-09-25 19:00 lolcubes: :p
2013-09-25 19:01 D33d: There's nothing actually misleading about the spacing and there's certainly enough space before the stream. However, I'll widen the stream anyway
2013-09-25 19:01 D33d: Oh I see. You just want the jump after the stream to not look like 1/1
2013-09-25 19:01 lolcubes: aaa why, the stream was fine, well okay
2013-09-25 19:01 lolcubes: yeah that note 10
2013-09-25 19:01 lolcubes: should be further away from the stream
2013-09-25 19:01 lolcubes: would be much easier to notice and much more fun to play
2013-09-25 19:02 D33d: tbh I only put the circle there because I wanted a huge jump, but I basically chose to place it symmetrically with the next circle.
2013-09-25 19:02 D33d: I don't think that further would work. Closer should be fine.
2013-09-25 19:02 lolcubes: which is exactly
2013-09-25 19:02 lolcubes: what i am saying
2013-09-25 19:02 lolcubes: rotate the stream by -30
2013-09-25 19:02 D33d: Yeah it's done.
2013-09-25 19:02 lolcubes: you are getting a win-win scenario
2013-09-25 19:02 D33d: Ah yes.
2013-09-25 19:02 lolcubes: you increase the spacing from both the previous and next notes
2013-09-25 19:02 lolcubes: which is exactly what i am trying to suggest :D
2013-09-25 19:03 D33d: I'll be honest: the stream was half-hearted and I just wanted it there. In my head, I originally had it rise.
2013-09-25 19:03 D33d: Yeah I'll do it.
2013-09-25 19:04 D33d: going in a bit, but I'll squeeze in more changes.
2013-09-25 19:04 lolcubes: sec
2013-09-25 19:04 lolcubes: im just confirming offset
2013-09-25 19:04 lolcubes: i want it to be dead center
2013-09-25 19:04 D33d: k
2013-09-25 19:04 lolcubes: its more than 11
2013-09-25 19:05 D33d: I moved it back by 14 initially, so should I put it forward by 14?
2013-09-25 19:05 lolcubes: haha
2013-09-25 19:05 lolcubes: yes
2013-09-25 19:05 lolcubes: exactly 14
2013-09-25 19:05 D33d: God damn it.
2013-09-25 19:05 lolcubes: i am getting 0% mistimed with that and trying od10 getting full 300
2013-09-25 19:06 lolcubes: i got offset 62, i guess you had 61
2013-09-25 19:06 lolcubes: thats correct yeah :p
2013-09-25 19:06 D33d: Okay
2013-09-25 19:06 D33d: Guess I'll move my UO by 14ms.
2013-09-25 19:06 lolcubes: well i hope i was at least somewhat helpful
2013-09-25 19:06 lolcubes: haha
2013-09-25 19:06 lolcubes: you should see my UO
2013-09-25 19:07 lolcubes: :p
2013-09-25 19:07 D33d: Definitely. You sure that was it?
2013-09-25 19:07 lolcubes: http://puu.sh/4zYF3/098ed2d10d.jpg
2013-09-25 19:07 D33d: Well see, I seemed to be able to use 0 initially with myawesome interface, but it seems that something's buggering about.
2013-09-25 19:07 lolcubes: yeah thats all about the highest diff
2013-09-25 19:07 D33d: ...fuck me
2013-09-25 19:07 D33d: Okay, thanks very much.
2013-09-25 19:07 lolcubes: thats asus xonar for you
2013-09-25 19:07 lolcubes: shittiest card for this game
2013-09-25 19:07 lolcubes: :p
2013-09-25 19:07 lolcubes: no probs man
2013-09-25 19:08 lolcubes: anytime...when im around ._.
2013-09-25 19:10 D33d: i'll definitely keep some things unchanged, because I know that they make sense with the music and there's variance in what I feel are the right places.
2013-09-25 19:10 D33d: Please post this in the thread and mod the others if you like. Let me know if you need anything.
2013-09-25 19:10 D33d: I'll change everything when I get back too... Then it's osu!stream and arranging time. ._.
2013-09-25 19:11 lolcubes: i can post a log if you want
2013-09-25 19:11 lolcubes: to get some priority on your map
2013-09-25 19:14 D33d: Yeah, I could certainly use it.

Testplay which resulted in a chat log!
Topic Starter
D33d
Thanks for the help. I've changed some of those points, like I'd said. I even added a fifth red combo for the horn riffs, which worked out far better than convoluted combo rotations.

Things which definitely won't be changing:

The four-bar break. While it's physically possible to make some pretty patterns in the section, it would give no time to recover after the intense pattern at the end of the section. I insist on having a bit of breathing space for the less able players. On top of that, it makes musical sense to have a bit less going on initially, since it then makes the next four bars feel a lot more important. Basically, a myriad of reasons which I can't sum up here.

That offbeat slider part before the slider stream. They're following a pretty obvious cadence in the music, since the rhythm section's locking together a really nice groove.

Also, I'm not feeling up to fiddling with the streams, so instead of rotating the stream in the chorus (which wouldn't really make it flow that well) or changing its shape, I've moved the preceding circle further down and the following circle a bit closer. That way, there should be no spacing confusion. Even so, I'll try to do something with the stream if I can manage something different and tidy.

Also, the offset should be in the right place. Everything else was dealt with summarily.
cheesiest
Just a suggestion on Normal.
It's really just adding more structure to the map, but I feel as if it might sacrifice feel a bit, so it's really not a big deal.

.osu where I re-arranged the part to show what I mean.

00:53:910 (4,5,3) - in a line

00:55:955 (5,1) - line w/ same slope as above

00:58:228 (1) - i use .945 for this slider in the .osu, but i kinda fucked up or something on the alignment since it's aligned on the same line as 00:53:910 (4,5,3) - but not of 00:55:728 (4,5) -. To kinda "fix" that, I tried moving the endpoint 1 to the right on grid 4 (although this doesn't line up on the same line, and used .928 for the slider. and it fit on the line of 00:55:728 (4,5) -
so yeah i guess that's all
Topic Starter
D33d
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look and see if I can use it, but your suggestions seem pretty reasonable. I'm all for allowing some blandness if it steadies an easier map.
Topic Starter
D33d

cheesiest wrote:

Just a suggestion on Normal.
It's really just adding more structure to the map, but I feel as if it might sacrifice feel a bit, so it's really not a big deal.

.osu where I re-arranged the part to show what I mean.

00:53:910 (4,5,3) - in a line

00:55:955 (5,1) - line w/ same slope as above

00:58:228 (1) - i use .945 for this slider in the .osu, but i kinda fucked up or something on the alignment since it's aligned on the same line as 00:53:910 (4,5,3) - but not of 00:55:728 (4,5) -. To kinda "fix" that, I tried moving the endpoint 1 to the right on grid 4 (although this doesn't line up on the same line, and used .928 for the slider. and it fit on the line of 00:55:728 (4,5) -
so yeah i guess that's all
I actually hadn't thought about the first point. The alignment would be noticeable with larger hitbursts and I used those from time to time. Changed that.

I didn't think that the next point would be worth considering, but then I realised that it might be worth doing in order to make the combo transition easier. Either way, I did what I did in the chorus specifically so that I could end the phrase in the middle of the screen. It's possibly worth me implementing that. Kudosu for the sort of polish that I like.
ampzz

General
Tagging:
  1. Having "Jojo" in the tags is redundant.
  2. So that it will match up to the single it was released on toss the romaji form of Bizarre Adventure into it, "no Kimyou na Bouken"
  3. Suggestively I would recommend to add in the following tags too - ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 Joseph Joestar ジョセフ・ジョースター Part II Battle Tendency opening theme
That pixelation in the video was an offence to my eyes so... I'll get to encoding and uploading one after this.

Done, and here you are: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ord6a7oivqu91 ... 0Video.avi

Code required
Video,0,"Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Opening II Video.avi"

Specifications

1. Dimensions: 800 x 448 (width x height)
  2. File extension: AVI
  3. CRF used: 23
  4. File size: 18.7MB
  5. Frame rate: 24 FPS
  6. Bit rate: 1700+ kbps

Easy
I would normally hark on the spacing inconsistencies but for some reason, I really do like how you've done this.
  1. 00:09:151 (2,2) - Would it be possible to have these match up on a mirrored positioning at all? Mainly so players would expect the outro from (1) and the intro to (3) to be more or less the same. If you agree with this I would suggest to apply it to the same pattern later on.
  2. 00:12:788 (4,5) - Would it be possible to get a better flow run off from (4) so it naturally turns into (5); maybe even a reposition like this?
  3. 00:14:606 (1,2) - Same idea as before.
  4. 00:30:970 (3) - Very fun to play.
  5. 00:33:242 - Here feels quite empty especially considering there is a nice vocal piece you could map to with either -
    Option one:
    00:33:242 - Circle here.
    00:34:151 - Circle here.

Option two:
    00:33:242 - Slider to start from here until 00:34:151 - arranged however you want.
  6. 00:52:788 (1,2,3) - To me, this section just lacks flow completely and felt a bit weird to play. Ideally I would like for it to have a bit more structure with a natural curvature. Even just moving the location of (2) and reversing the direction of (3) like this works wonders and leads you into the next combo really nicely -
    SPOILER

Note: If you do agree with this, apply it to the latter combo as well.
  7. 00:58:242 (3) - Feels a bit steep. In my opinion it would be nice to play the same slider curvature that 01:00:061 (1) - has which would lead you into the next combo naturally. (Again, if you agree with this, apply it to the latter combo)
  8. 01:02:788 (4) - Only gripe with this is the snap being inconsistent. Slide it across to x:349 y:142 to get it perfect.
  9. 01:05:515 (1) - I cannot express how much I loved the look and feel of this slider, really nicely done.
  10. 01:16:879 - Any particular reason why this vocal went unmapped?

Normal
  1. 00:10:970 (3) - Never been a fan of really steep change in which direction your cursor follows after a pattern. I ideally I would prefer this to have a flatter curve or least angle it so you run off (2) and through (3) to get a natural trace.
  2. 00:14:606 (1) - Personally I don't like how much of a snap you have to do to hit this after previous (8) and then the weird drop into the (2) with its slider angle. Probably just change this circle's location so it has less of a harsh snap, I can't really think of anything decent but maybe something like this -
  3. 00:20:515 (2) - This soft clap sounds weird, why not use the normal one?
  4. 00:21:879 (1,2) - This I would really prefer (1)'s end to trace into (2)'s body/curve.
  5. 00:27:333 (6) - This is fine as it is but you could split it up into two 1/1 sliders if you wanted a bit of change here with each matching the trumpet.
  6. 00:30:515 (3,4) - This I almost fell for (4)'s end being its starting point instead if only not for snaking sliders.
  7. 00:49:151 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - This was really fun to play, it just felt a bit compressed since you had the vertical height limitation. You could probably trail it on a slight angle running off (1)'s end if you would like to change it a little. Something like this as a rough example -
  8. 00:56:424 (1,2,3) - My usual gripe with weird direction changes after a pattern that just feel awkward to get in to.
  9. 01:03:697 (1,2) - Considering how good you are with blanketing I was really surprised that you didn't make it so these paired up.
  10. 01:14:606 (1,2,1,2) - These I honestly would prefer if the circles were to be played in a way that after you do the slider's end tracing you continue on that same natural path to then hit them.
  11. Rough example of a possible change here so that the odds and evens blanket each other respectively -

Xgor's Hard
The general feel of this map was fine but some of the placement was just troublesome to read/play.
  1. 00:12:333 (5,6,7) - This felt a bit lacking/too linear for my liking.
  2. 00:16:197 (6) - Placing this inside (7) plays and looks superb in my opinion.
  3. 00:20:515 - Intentionally skipping these notes?
  4. 00:29:151 (2,3,4) - This felt really awkward to play with no clear definition in the flow since (3) was really sharp.
  5. 00:54:833 (2,3,4,5) - My main gripe is with randomly having to redirect where your cursor movement has to follow which just never feels nice to play.
  6. 01:03:697 (1,2) - Needs a better entry angle as the curve direction from (1) ends up to about... a quarter into (2)'s body.
  7. 01:05:515 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - Really hard rhythm to try and grab a hold on to. I would much prefer this to play as 1/2 sliders linked in a stream; alternatively having the final down/offbeat play as two circles instead.
  8. 01:12:788 (1,2,3) - This just feels too weird to play. It's a case of (1)'s exit point and curve do not lead in to (2) at all; (2) is a really harsh change in arc; and (3) being off from the flow you get when following (2)'s circular movement.
  9. 01:15:174 (2,3) - Didn't enjoy this snap as it felt too sudden without much of a lead-in.
  10. Any particular reason why either 01:20:061 (8) - or 01:20:515 (9) - don't have a NC attached to them?

Bloody
I really do enjoy this difficulty a lot, only a few minor things which irked me during play that I'll point out.
  1. 00:12:106 (7,8) - This was a pain to snap up to and then run through, it doesn't feel natural on either mouse, trackpad or tablet.
  2. 00:16:197 (9,10) - This lack of angled jumping felt like a minor killjoy to me. Especially since you play a nice square pattern beforehand. If you do want to keep it at least make it a dead straight line.
  3. 00:29:947 (4,5) - Considering how fast the slider speed itself is, having (4) 'run off' into the centre of the map meanwhile (5) is off to your far left-hand side is really not enjoyable to play as it kills the natural flow.
  4. 00:34:833 (2,4) - Personally I would prefer these to be stacked onto the lead of 1/2 sliders to make the flow more friendlier. This will also make playing this section of music so you get the gradual fall in which notes are being played too.
  5. 00:35:515 (6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14) - If you do the above just set this to be off from (5) at the same 1.45x snap. I would also suggest to place a NC on 00:35:970 - to bring focus onto the vocals coming back in; or at least on (1).
  6. 00:45:288 (4) - Place this at x:428 y:311 instead, please. It helps maintain the run-off momentum from the previous slider and transition into (5) perfectly.
  7. 00:47:333 (1) - CTRL + G this so you can continue the arc movement happening from 00:46:424 (7) - then run off into 00:48:242 (2) - with a gradual, slower paced feeling too.
  8. 00:56:879 (4,5) - Have these lead in to each other.
  9. 00:58:015 (7) - I really wanted to play this on the right-hand side of the screen instead as it feels more intuitive placed there.
  10. 00:59:038 (5,6) - Have (5)'s end curve naturally into (6).
  11. 01:02:674 (4) - If it was me, I would have had this flipped vertically so you play 01:01:879 (1,2,3,4) - as an acute triangle which all snap in and out of each other perfectly.
  12. 01:03:697 (1,2) - Place (2) directly in line from (1)'s end so you immediately drop vertically instead of slightly off to the left.
  13. 01:06:424 (9,10) - Thoughts on stacking (10) under the placing of (9)? This way people have to maintain control of their fingers instead of just spamming it and it also (biased opinion) feels nice finishing a stream's movement with a lull afterwards on the same spot.
  14. 01:09:947 (5,6) - Change the placement of (6) to the left a little so it has a natural run from (5)'s end.
Topic Starter
D33d
ampzz, you bloody legend. I'll fix the video and tags that you've kindly provided and I'll make my way through your modpost soon.
Topic Starter
D33d

ampzz wrote:

General
Tagging:
  1. Having "Jojo" in the tags is redundant.
  2. So that it will match up to the single it was released on toss the romaji form of Bizarre Adventure into it, "no Kimyou na Bouken"
  3. Suggestively I would recommend to add in the following tags too - ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 Joseph Joestar ジョセフ・ジョースター Part II Battle Tendency opening theme
That pixelation in the video was an offence to my eyes so... I'll get to encoding and uploading one after this.

Done, and here you are: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ord6a7oivqu91 ... 0Video.avi

Code required
Video,0,"Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Opening II Video.avi"

Specifications

1. Dimensions: 800 x 448 (width x height)
  2. File extension: AVI
  3. CRF used: 23
  4. File size: 18.7MB
  5. Frame rate: 24 FPS
  6. Bit rate: 1700+ kbps

Easy
I would normally hark on the spacing inconsistencies but for some reason, I really do like how you've done this. Yeah, I exaggerated the spacing changes in order to make the rhythm changes much more readable. This is where people almost always fall flat--they get so hung up on constant spacing that their easier maps become too cluttered, too boring or both.
  1. 00:09:151 (2,2) - Would it be possible to have these match up on a mirrored positioning at all? Mainly so players would expect the outro from (1) and the intro to (3) to be more or less the same. If you agree with this I would suggest to apply it to the same pattern later on. I was going for a little bit of variance and coolness, but the mirroring works better--it make things flow better too.
  2. 00:12:788 (4,5) - Would it be possible to get a better flow run off from (4) so it naturally turns into (5); maybe even a reposition like this? Sorry, I don't want to do it that way. I want the waves to rise, with the motion onto the sliders remaining vertical--I feel that the changes in flow would make the player focus more on the rhythm, if that makes any sense.
  3. 00:14:606 (1,2) - Same idea as before.
  4. 00:30:970 (3) - Very fun to play.
  5. 00:33:242 - Here feels quite empty especially considering there is a nice vocal piece you could map to with either - From my time observing novices playing osu! and osu!stream, it appears that they struggle with objects after longer sliders. As mentioned elsewhere, the amount of space also gives the player ample time to prepare for the spinner. However, having two circles after the slider probably won't hurt.
    Option one:
    00:33:242 - Circle here.
    00:34:151 - Circle here.

Yeah, exactly--they'd go on the backbeat.

Option two:
    00:33:242 - Slider to start from here until 00:34:151 - arranged however you want.
  6. 00:52:788 (1,2,3) - To me, this section just lacks flow completely and felt a bit weird to play. Ideally I would like for it to have a bit more structure with a natural curvature. Even just moving the location of (2) and reversing the direction of (3) like this works wonders and leads you into the next combo really nicely - The sharp angles are deliberate. They convey the intensity of the chorus, complement the other difficulties' designs and would prepare newer players for the harsher flow of the higher diffs. Plus, it looks fucking cool, which ought to add to the excitement.
    SPOILER

Note: If you do agree with this, apply it to the latter combo as well.
  7. 00:58:242 (3) - Feels a bit steep. In my opinion it would be nice to play the same slider curvature that 01:00:061 (1) - has which would lead you into the next combo naturally. (Again, if you agree with this, apply it to the latter combo) To me, this feels fine--admittedly, I did the pattern this way as a very quick structural idea, but I feel that the flow works well with the music. The general direction of the slider, along with slider leniency, lead into the next pattern well enough and the change in flow emphasises the next phrase.
  8. 01:02:788 (4) - Only gripe with this is the snap being inconsistent. Slide it across to x:349 y:142 to get it perfect. This has nothing to with how I mapped it, but with how the editor's rounding works and the fact that waves can be almost impossible to snap perfectly. If I moved the nodes in any more, the slider would shorten and a SV change wouldn't fix it. Notice that the pattern is perfectly symmetrical other than that pixel of difference.
  9. 01:05:515 (1) - I cannot express how much I loved the look and feel of this slider, really nicely done. Good, because I'm making these types of sliders a regular feature--'Teardrop' has them too.
  10. 01:16:879 - Any particular reason why this vocal went unmapped? Of course! For a novice, it would probably feel very awkward to go straight from a long repeat to more circles--plus, leaving this gap emphasises beat one a lot more.

Normal
  1. 00:10:970 (3) - Never been a fan of really steep change in which direction your cursor follows after a pattern. I ideally I would prefer this to have a flatter curve or least angle it so you run off (2) and through (3) to get a natural trace. Emphasis. It should make enough sense to the average player, while encouraging a bit of mouse control as well. I varied the flow here quite deliberately.
  2. 00:14:606 (1) - Personally I don't like how much of a snap you have to do to hit this after previous (8) and then the weird drop into the (2) with its slider angle. Probably just change this circle's location so it has less of a harsh snap, I can't really think of anything decent but maybe something like this - Admittedly, (1) is only there because I had originally used more 1/2--I was creating triangular structure with everything after the repeat. I still kind of want to retain that structure and I really like the emphasis that's created, but I'll consider this.

3. 00:20:515 (2) - This soft clap sounds weird, why not use the normal one? This was because I'd copied hitsounds from the insane, so the soft clap was bringing things down a bit--however, a normal clap definitely feels better on a sliderhead.
  4. 00:21:879 (1,2) - This I would really prefer (1)'s end to trace into (2)'s body/curve. I went for a specific alignment and it still plays well enough--however, this is probably worth addressing and it's not as if losing the 30° angle is going to mess with my style. grumnd I am not.
  5. 00:27:333 (6) - This is fine as it is but you could split it up into two 1/1 sliders if you wanted a bit of change here with each matching the trumpet. Nah, the trumpet line is so smooth that a continuous repeat slider fits better--see Xgor's diff. If this was osu!stream, [Bloody] would've had 1/1 sliders joined at the ends by multitouch, but unfortunately, this isn't osu!stream.
  6. 00:30:515 (3,4) - This I almost fell for (4)'s end being its starting point instead if only not for snaking sliders. Followpoints should make this clear as it is. I know that it's generally better practice to make the starting end extremely obvious, but I can't imagine many people being unable to use slider snaking. It's pretty standard.
  7. 00:49:151 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - This was really fun to play, it just felt a bit compressed since you had the vertical height limitation. You could probably trail it on a slight angle running off (1)'s end if you would like to change it a little. Something like this as a rough example - I'm definitely leaving this upright, but I might try to stretch it out a bit. It's a slightly harsh pattern for normals, so I'd like to make it a bit more approachable.
  8. 00:56:424 (1,2,3) - My usual gripe with weird direction changes after a pattern that just feel awkward to get in to. cheesiest made a suggestion which would smooth this transition a bit. Personally, I'm happy to keep this angular for emphasis and I can't think of a good alternative, but I can always try things out.
  9. 01:03:697 (1,2) - Considering how good you are with blanketing I was really surprised that you didn't make it so these paired up. That'd be thoroughly pointless and I'd have to make the wave much flatter, thus making it a lot wider. Plus, there wouldn't be enough separation between the patterns for how I wanted the transition to feel.
  10. 01:14:606 (1,2,1,2) - These I honestly would prefer if the circles were to be played in a way that after you do the slider's end tracing you continue on that same natural path to then hit them. That would lose the intended emphasis on the offbeat, so I'm leaving this as it is.
  11. Rough example of a possible change here so that the odds and evens blanket each other respectively - I might try that structure if I can make it look balanced enough. It might be nice.

Xgor's Hard
The general feel of this map was fine but some of the placement was just troublesome to read/play.
  1. 00:12:333 (5,6,7) - This felt a bit lacking/too linear for my liking. This was something different and I suggested a triangle, but Xgor wanted these in a line. I think that they work better, because they create a nice lunge and lift.
  2. 00:16:197 (6) - Placing this inside (7) plays and looks superb in my opinion. I know, but even though the antijump would feel good, it'd be hard to get out without messing up the spacing. I could try a stack in the middle and remove (3), assuming that it doesn't mess up the next pattern.
  3. 00:20:515 - Intentionally skipping these notes? I would've told Xgor to fix these, but they're very playable, feel very tactile and they follow the bass in a noticeable way. It's different, but I like how it complements the lead line and the patterns in the other diffs.
  4. 00:29:151 (2,3,4) - This felt really awkward to play with no clear definition in the flow since (3) was really sharp.I want to figure out an alternative, but I'd either have to remove the slider or rearrange the pattern quite a lot.
  5. 00:54:833 (2,3,4,5) - My main gripe is with randomly having to redirect where your cursor movement has to follow which just never feels nice to play. That is not random. It's emphasis. Lots of emphasis with the stabs. It works on a fundamental level.
  6. 01:03:697 (1,2) - Needs a better entry angle as the curve direction from (1) ends up to about... a quarter into (2)'s body. If a player sees this without thinking about flow theory too much, they'll probably feel the straightening and the sharp angle. I find this to be better for emphasis.
  7. 01:05:515 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - Really hard rhythm to try and grab a hold on to. I would much prefer this to play as 1/2 sliders linked in a stream; alternatively having the final down/offbeat play as two circles instead. It's an intense part of the music, so of course I want it to be challenging. This is where the player would be challenged to read spacing--as it is, the pattern's completely fair and impactful.
  8. 01:12:788 (1,2,3) - This just feels too weird to play. It's a case of (1)'s exit point and curve do not lead in to (2) at all; (2) is a really harsh change in arc; and (3) being off from the flow you get when following (2)'s circular movement. I'm not sure what to think of this. (1) is a mirror, so I want to keep both identical. I could bring the end in a bit more and that wouldn't be a huge problem, but there are more reasons. The angle creates some emphasis with the vocal and slider lenience--a concept which allows people to get away with far worse flow--lets the player choose a smoother motion if they really care to.
  9. 01:15:174 (2,3) - Didn't enjoy this snap as it felt too sudden without much of a lead-in. It's clearly there to create emphasis, but I could certainly align (3) with the end of (1), which would also make it look nicer as well as reducing the angle.
  10. Any particular reason why either 01:20:061 (8) - or 01:20:515 (9) - don't have a NC attached to them? I regard the vocal and Hammond slap as an extension of the horns' phrase--to me, everything in these two bars feels like they're part of that phrase, because the vocal note coudl easily be replaced by a low horn.

Bloody
I really do enjoy this difficulty a lot, only a few minor things which irked me during play that I'll point out.
  1. 00:12:106 (7,8) - This was a pain to snap up to and then run through, it doesn't feel natural on either mouse, trackpad or tablet. I wasn't going for "natural." I know that my insistence on angular flow will piss off some players, but you can see how I've organised the flow throughout the verse--it kind of goes in twos of sharper, then smoother.
  2. 00:16:197 (9,10) - This lack of angled jumping felt like a minor killjoy to me. Especially since you play a nice square pattern beforehand. If you do want to keep it at least make it a dead straight line. Deliberate flow manipulation. I wanted a steady, angular flow to level out and then go really smooth.
  3. 00:29:947 (4,5) - Considering how fast the slider speed itself is, having (4) 'run off' into the centre of the map meanwhile (5) is off to your far left-hand side is really not enjoyable to play as it kills the natural flow. It flows plenty fine for me. Aesthetically, it's not quite as smooth as I'd like, but I see no reason in fiddling with every slider and circle just for the sake of it looking more fluid--I can play this very fluidly as it is. Nobody has to take the implied direction of a pattern so literally.
  4. 00:34:833 (2,4) - Personally I would prefer these to be stacked onto the lead of 1/2 sliders to make the flow more friendlier. This will also make playing this section of music so you get the gradual fall in which notes are being played too. This is a very good suggestion and I usually like this kind of stacking. At the same time, I want the angular intensity and sharper dropoffs. I'll think about this.
  5. 00:35:515 (6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14) - If you do the above just set this to be off from (5) at the same 1.45x snap. I would also suggest to place a NC on 00:35:970 - to bring focus onto the vocals coming back in; or at least on (1). No to the combo split, because breaking off such a small fragment in the middle of a dense pattern and right at the end of a section would be senseless. I much prefer to have continuous comboing. I'll do the other thing if I change this cobo.
  6. 00:45:288 (4) - Place this at x:428 y:311 instead, please. It helps maintain the run-off momentum from the previous slider and transition into (5) perfectly. I was about to say that, since you didn't suggest how to rearrange objects after this, I'd have to ignore the suggestion. However, it seems that the spacing would be fine. A bit large compared to the rest of the section, but the slider's followcircle would let the player flow ahead of the slider and then (5) would catch them pretty comfortably.
  7. 00:47:333 (1) - CTRL + G this so you can continue the arc movement happening from 00:46:424 (7) - then run off into 00:48:242 (2) - with a gradual, slower paced feeling too. I wouldn't like the flow from the repeat slider--plus, my way creates more emphasis on the beats, more of a build in intensity and creates a continuous rising motion.
  8. 00:56:879 (4,5) - Have these lead in to each other. The reasons for keeping it like this outweight the reasons against. I'd like them to flow smoothly, but then I'd either have a nasty overlap or the structure would be ruined. As it happens, I enjoyed the resulting change in flow, since it emphasises the vocal and is followed through with more angular flow. Besides, this can be played in a speed-changing linear manner quite nicely.
  9. 00:58:015 (7) - I really wanted to play this on the right-hand side of the screen instead as it feels more intuitive placed there. I feel like (7) catches the flow reversal far better. I've already moved the player clockwise, so my way balances the flow and creates a nicer side-to-side motion. I always try to keep a good side-to-side motion when the music picks up.
  10. 00:59:038 (5,6) - Have (5)'s end curve naturally into (6). I'd rather that the flow straightened out. It feels a lot more emphatic and, on top of that, I get to retain my structure.
  11. 01:02:674 (4) - If it was me, I would have had this flipped vertically so you play 01:01:879 (1,2,3,4) - as an acute triangle which all snap in and out of each other perfectly. This would work very nicely for these four objects, but then the flow out of these would suck. I want to keep (1,2,3,4) feeling especially emphatic with the vocals, then having the flow spiral outwards as it does already.
  12. 01:03:697 (1,2) - Place (2) directly in line from (1)'s end so you immediately drop vertically instead of slightly off to the left.I doubt that anybody would notice if they're going left by five pixels. Plus, I was deliberate in making the sliderends align.
  13. 01:06:424 (9,10) - Thoughts on stacking (10) under the placing of (9)? This way people have to maintain control of their fingers instead of just spamming it and it also (biased opinion) feels nice finishing a stream's movement with a lull afterwards on the same spot. I hate it when objects are stacked at the ends of streams. Conceptually, this very cool, but it's never worked well in practice for me when playing such patterns. Besides, I'd rather have an intense rush of flow to round off the phrase.
  14. 01:09:947 (5,6) - Change the placement of (6) to the left a little so it has a natural run from (5)'s end. There is a natural run. (5) is pointing straight down--I was very deliberate about this as well. The player should be able to read the J-shaped flow and follow its emphasis.
Thank you so much--this was very useful for me. I hope you can see how detailed my approach to flow really is, as I put a tremendous amount of thought into literally every object. Even when I'm mapping patterns by intuition, I still go over everything and think about what's happening in relation to the music.
dkun
Did a few things in E/N (moved/added a few notes). Log is available upon request~

Have a bubble!
Irreversible
:D
Topic Starter
D33d
Waiting for a BAT's word on the red combo in Normal's chorus--dkun and I agreed that it's a bit hard to read, but I'm torn between keeping it challenging and climactic or easier for the sake of enjoyment. Really glad that you've all helped so far.

DEEDIT: Oh whoops, I uploaded with that pattern changed. Guess we'll have to go with that.
Jenny
Fuck you you speedranking bastard omg I cry >>>:
Another thing though, I find the drum-hitclap and -finish to not fit so well with the -hitnormal, is why I go with softsample + drum additions for them most of the time - just thought I'd throw that in if you find it any considerable o:
Topic Starter
D33d
Funnily enough, mm actually designed the drum sounds to complement hitnormals. I like to use them with both normal and drum bases, depending on how much emphasis I want.

Tbh I wouldn't call a bit over under a month (hot damn) a "speedrank" and, well, it's not set in stone yet. :P
YGOkid8
did some small housekeeping stuff, which include:

1. unsnapped slider end in easy (changed sv to fix this)
  2. made some early sliders flow into each other better in normal
  3. changed position of red combos in normal back to how they were originally
  4. fixed kiai section in xgor's hard
otherwise, have take my rank virginity, and let's hope that nothing goes wrong (unplanned pregnancy, etc.).
show more