forum

Improving without farming

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
animetibs
I've been slowly improving, but all of my top plays are pretty much farm maps. Dont get me wrong, i had to try hard to get most of those scores, but it feels illegitimate at times. Is there a way of getting better and improving rank without grinding farm maps? Been trying to do maps just out of my skill level and trying to pass which I think has been the best approach thus far

(also: It seems like every map I play ends up being called a farm map, is there a good way of telling whats farmy and whats not? i just kind of pick maps from people near my rank's best plays)
RAISE MY SWORD
Farm maps, in my opinion, are maps that often short in length/repetitive left and right dash jump patterns and when you compare the aforementioned maps around the same sr you'll feel that farm maps are a lot easier.

Improvement is quite a subjective term to me, technically you can still learn new skills and set the scores you like without getting any profile performance points in return. But it is also possible that you can get more pp and more skills at the same time by trying a variety types of maps and maintaining your consistency. Good luck and have fun!
Topic Starter
animetibs

Social Distance wrote:

Farm maps, in my opinion, are maps that often short in length/repetitive left and right dash jump patterns and when you compare the aforementioned maps around the same sr you'll feel that farm maps are a lot easier.

Improvement is quite a subjective term to me, technically you can still learn new skills and set the scores you like without getting any profile performance points in return. But it is also possible that you can get more pp and more skills at the same time by trying a variety types of maps and maintaining your consistency. Good luck and have fun!
Thanks :) I'll keep that in mind and look for some more maps
Edgar_Figaro
Based on what you said of playing the top scores of other people around you then generally you would be playing farm maps.

Unless someone exclusively avoids farm maps generally their top plays will be farm maps just due to how much easier they are to FC than other maps of the same difficulty.

If you want to avoid farm try FCing maps nobody really plays.
Rikuka
play autoconvert 8-)
Zyoulou
Playing farm maps isn't an issue at all, in fact, I'd say that avoiding them would cause you more harm as they still can teach you some interesting patterns and some songs are bangers you wouldn't want to miss. What's an issue is playing with a farm mindset, playing with the intent of always getting pp.

Despite you having less than half my playtime, you are pretty close to my playcount which either means you play only shorts maps, or that you restart often. If you solely focus on improving, you will improve and gain rank as a side result, so there is no need to focus on grinding maps. (by grinding maps you will improve for sure, but less than if you focused on improving)

Playing outside your comfort zone is a good way to improve, but don't forget to also play maps that are in your comfort zone as you often will realize that even if you thought they are easy, you can't do them consistently. (if your top play takes you 100 tries to fc, even if you did fc it, can you really say you can fc it? TLDR: consistency is important!)

Side note, if you are going to play mods be careful to still focus on nomod, by playing nomod you push your mechanics more than playing with mods. I would advise playing half of your session with nomod and the rest with mods!

Other than that, enjoy catching fruits :P
Topic Starter
animetibs

Rikuka wrote:

play autoconvert 8-)
me who doesn't know what that is

Zyoulou wrote:

Playing farm maps isn't an issue at all, in fact, I'd say that avoiding them would cause you more harm as they still can teach you some interesting patterns and some songs are bangers you wouldn't want to miss. What's an issue is playing with a farm mindset, playing with the intent of always getting pp.

Despite you having less than half my playtime, you are pretty close to my playcount which either means you play only shorts maps, or that you restart often. If you solely focus on improving, you will improve and gain rank as a side result, so there is no need to focus on grinding maps. (by grinding maps you will improve for sure, but less than if you focused on improving)

Playing outside your comfort zone is a good way to improve, but don't forget to also play maps that are in your comfort zone as you often will realize that even if you thought they are easy, you can't do them consistently. (if your top play takes you 100 tries to fc, even if you did fc it, can you really say you can fc it? TLDR: consistency is important!)

Side note, if you are going to play mods be careful to still focus on nomod, by playing nomod you push your mechanics more than playing with mods. I would advise playing half of your session with nomod and the rest with mods!

Thank you so much! Regarding the playcount i do both- i play maps 30-120 seconds long and restart more than i should (it messes up your consistency i know!). i've been trying to play maps above my star rank that i can just about barely pass, then play the same song on one diff lower, almost like a warmup? i think it helps a bit.
also yeah, ik most of my top plays are ezdt, but i have been trying to do a good bit of nomod as well :)
Nikolai
this might just take the cake for stupidest post here
Topic Starter
animetibs

Nikolai wrote:

this might just take the cake for stupidest post here
thanks, i love cake :)
I CAN FC
how define farm?
improve = play more
fujipuji

Zyoulou wrote:

god tier mindset