forum

My thoughts on osu! forums (And some suggestions)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
nico-
overall my experience has been good and all but there are some suggestions I have towards the devs (remember I'm no pro at this stuff and this is just an opinion)

overall I think forums are not convenient enough for newer players, the first thing you see when you open the forums are development related stuff which intimidates newer players a bit, the general and offtopic forums should be the first and the development related forums should be at the bottom of the page because they're only accessed by players that have something specific to do and they know what they're doing where the general forums are more casual of a place

there can also be a feature called top news where you can subscribe to a specific forum and see conveniently which posts are at the top every day at your profile page (a new section that displays three of five top posts every single day) that could also increase the popularity and introduce the forums to newer players
sinsol
+1 but plz move to community/forums/4 so people can actually vote
abraker

king hammer wrote:

there can also be a feature called top news where you can subscribe to a specific forum and see conveniently which posts are at the top every day at your profile page (a new section that displays three of five top posts every single day) that could also increase the popularity and introduce the forums to newer players
How should top posts be determined?
Blushing
Eh. The Development Tab is no bigger than the rest of the other forums listed. Off-Topic and General Discussion could be further up than they are but I think a vast majority of players visit G&R more often to get tips and to share their experiences. OT and General Discussion are meant for things NOT osu! related, so having those things at the top of an osu! website... doesn't really make sense. Plus there is a lot of shenanigans that goes on in here that sometimes isn't the most appealing to a vast audience.

I do think that the forums can be pretty intimidating for a new comer but I don't think that stems from Development or anything you have listed, but the fact that they are new to it so they probably haven't read the rules or experienced the formalities of each sub thread. But getting people to be on the forums more often would be beneficial.

I do like the Subscription idea (propose it on the github maybe?: https://github.com/ppy/osu-web/issues) as someone who actively visits help, development, and a variety of threads having a "subscription" center would be very beneficial to see what has been updated and what I have commented on without needing to bookmark a page I've already visited. (+1 for this idea)
abraker

Blushing wrote:

I do like the Subscription idea (propose it on the github maybe?: https://github.com/ppy/osu-web/issues) as someone who actively visits help, development, and a variety of threads having a "subscription" center would be very beneficial to see what has been updated and what I have commented on without needing to bookmark a page I've already visited. (+1 for this idea)
There is one tho

It's that bookmark button on the bottom

Then you can see your subscription in dashboard page: home/follows/forum_topic
Blushing

abraker wrote:

There is one tho

Yeah, but what I'm thinking the OP has in mind is that the entire Forum would be in the subscription thing, rather than individual posts in the thread. If that is not what the OP has in mind then I may have misread.
Topic Starter
nico-

abraker wrote:

king hammer wrote:

How should top posts be determined?
they could be based upon total daily views/ a newly added likes feature? /posts with the hightest replies on that particular day

Blushing wrote:

abraker wrote:

There is one tho

Yeah, but what I'm thinking the OP has in mind is that the entire Forum would be in the subscription thing, rather than individual posts in the thread. If that is not what the OP has in mind then I may have misread.
yes that's what I had in mind, when you're subbed to a forum, you get its top posts for that particular day on your osu! profile page in a new section