forum

Survey for Master's thesis: independent learning of Japanese langage

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Axiaan
Hello to you, my fellow Osu! enjoyers.

I'm Axiaan, and I'm a French student in Bordeaux Montaigne university. I am doing a Master Degree on Linguistic and Japanese Language and I am doing a master's thesis in the question of independent learning of Japanese language.

Osu! is a place where a lot of people liking anime/manga stuffs are, so I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people here who's learning/tried to learn Japanese by themselves. If you are one of them, I'm interrested in your answers.

But, if you are mainly (or even totally) learning via school courses (high school, college, university) or via a private teacher, unfortunately the survey is not for you.

My survey has 40 questions, and these questions range from your motivation for starting Japanese, your projections for the future with the language, the ways in which you learn, specific questions about certain aspects of the language (kanji, accent, etc) or even difficulties you have encountered.

The survey lasts 2 weeks, from February 14th to February 28th, I may make it last a bit longer depending on what the teacher who is following my master's thesis work tells me. Obviously, all answers will be anonymous and will only be used for my master's thesis. The survey takes an average of 15 minutes to complete.

There is the link of the survey: https://forms.gle/HeW3ku6nSKhfaVQj7
If you are a French native speaker, there is the French survey: https://forms.gle/JNT5CEK7wE1SQB8q7

Thank you for taking the time to read and perhaps for taking the time to answer the survey.

If you have any questions, you can ask them in comments below.
Thanks you for your future answers!

(a common question I get is: "I don't know what A1/A2/B1/B2/C1/C2 stuff is". It's an European way to determine your level in language. A1 is basically beginner, A2 level is that you can have basics conversations of everyday's life, B1 is a better A2 with more specifics conversations, B2 is kind of fluent, C1 is fluent++ (no problem at all) and C2 is kind of native level)

(If you want to compare with JLPT levels (Japanese Language Proficiency Test), A1-A2 is N5, B1 is N4, B2 is N3/N2, C1 is very good N2/N1 and C2 is N1++)
Julian_Kaiser
Is this meant only for people who have attained a level of fluency in the language?
Question 20 makes me think so.
Topic Starter
Axiaan
Not really, confortable doesn't mean you understand 100% of what you read/hear, but just you can read/hear to Japanese stuff of your level with ease, thanks to the ressources you used.
Julian_Kaiser

Axiaan wrote:

Not really, confortable doesn't mean you understand 100% of what you read/hear, but just you can read/hear to Japanese stuff of your level with ease, thanks to the ressources you used.
Since you made it an essential factor to contributing towards the survey, I was rather skeptical.

So in this case, it would imply that if a person only knows a small chunk of basics such as introduction and name calling and a few words. They practically are qualified to claim themselves comfortable at that level.
Thanks for reassuring me, I thought it was targetted towards the elite linguists who can understand most of what they are hearing.