forum

What do you guys think is the most important skill in mapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[[[[[[
ima start first: for me it's patience (a.k.a sth i don't have right now lol) you can have the biggest coolest most epic idea for a map but if you don't have the patience to actually do it you will go no where.
Modular
I'd also tie that with listening to, and mapping different genres of music. Best way to solidify your mapping style that you can use to transition to any style of music, make your brain have the sparks :D
lewski
@op: that sounds more like discipline to me. I do agree that it's way up there in terms of importance, though; you need to map a lot despite being bad at it to even get to the point where you can execute any cool ideas

as for actual mapping stuff, it's the ability to come up with rhythm that really supports what you want to do with the song instead of just putting objects on sounds (not skipping sounds isn't viable in a game with only two buttons, only putting objects on distinct sounds is overly dogmatic, and consistency in what layer you follow is largely a red herring)
Sountren
The most important skill is obviously rhythm sense and how much you understand the song
Lp9
having fun
Topic Starter
[[[[[[

Lp9 wrote:

having fun
so true
Xelasto

Lp9 wrote:

having fun
Agreed. Second most important thing I feel like is being able to contrast and emphasize the song well (which, as a lot of people are saying here, is in part the rhythm choice)
EtheralAzure

Lp9 wrote:

having fun
Can't agree more.
"Having fun" means u gain joy from mapping, and that's vital to keep motivated. Nobody can map as a profession, and normally we never get paid from any map. It's all passion to keep us going ahead, and if one cannot have fun while mapping, they're prone to give up. I have seen several gifted mappers that got started rly fast, but also quickly surrendered cuz "mapping is so hard to learn" or "ranking procedure is too annoying". It at least takes months and possibly years from the first touch of the editor to a first ranked map, and without continuous fun supply few can make it.
Some may think "having fun" doesn't count as a skill, but in fact seeking motivation from everyday mapping routine and interaction with players/mappers around is rly sth one should learn. However slow u may think urself are, if keep going u'll succeed sooner or later.