forum

Not failing by drain rate [Rejected] [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
EiJi
This really pisses me off and I think it shouldn't happen.

Just like in every MMO, if you get poisoned or something which drains your HP, 99% of the time, it will NOT kill you. It'll leave you at 1 HP.

Same thing here.

Lets say every HP bar tick drains your HP by one. Lets say a missed note drains your HP by 10.

You have 15HP. You miss one note. You have 5 HP. There's a 10 second gap before you get another note because the mapper forgot to add a break in.

When you do get to that note, after 10 seconds (-5 HP) you wouldn't fail, instead have 1 HP when you get to that note.

In other words, to fail a song, it would have to be directly related to missing a note which threw your HP below 0. (Or hitting a 50? I dunno if 50's have a penalty...)
eyup
If there's a 10 second gap to the next note, there should be a break there!

HP drain death is quite a common frustration in EBA/Ouendan, so to emulate the experience accurately I think it's best to leave the current system as is :D In fact osu!'s HP drain is much more forgiving than the DS games' in 99% of beatmaps.
peppy
The current drain formula is also very complex and adjusts the drain rate based on individual songs, including their length and break locations. An average HP increase per note is decided and as eyup said already - this is more forgiving than ouendan in most every case (unless the beatmap author set the drain rate at the highest). The hp system works in the same way as ouendan in that the amount of drain and recovery is constant throughout the song, and drains even when notes are not being hit. Changing this would lose a LOT of the authentic play feeling, in my opinion.
awp
It would also take some of the challenge away, to be honest. I'd rather keep the drain rate as it is, otherwise you'd be able to get through songs simply by hitting every note, however sloppily that is done. And that's just not Sweatin' enough.
Survivor_old

awp wrote:

It would also take some of the challenge away, to be honest. I'd rather keep the drain rate as it is, otherwise you'd be able to get through songs simply by hitting every note, however sloppily that is done. And that's just not Sweatin' enough.
If you manage to get yourself down to let the drain kill you, that means you can't hit in a constant stream. Sloppy or not, It's no easy task, or else everyone would be getting straight A's.

And I agree that this drain stop should be added, just drop you down to minimum, and if you miss, you die, because there are songs that are easy, but the drain rate is too high, and there are few notes, so if you miss one note and can't keep landing perfect 300s, your life will drain out. Maroon 5 - Sunday Morning is the perfect example for this. I could not survive that song if I missed twice, or once and played bad after that
Cecilthemos
I like the drain kill, when people ask me what Ouendan is, I like saying that it's the one beatgame where you can fail while hitting every beat.
Plus it makes it harder, and if the beat mapper "forgot" to add in a break for a 10 second gap, it shouldn't be ranked and shouldn't matter.