forum

Help! I would like tips and help

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Goyari Dalri
Hello! My name is Goyari! Im interested on learning how to make a beatmap.

Do you guys know any good places on learning how to make a beatmap?
Is there any songs I should avoid mapping as a beginner? Like should I avoid songs that changes BPM's?

If anyone could help, I would be grateful for it.
chromb
I'd recommend pishifat's youtube channel, he's got a load of really good tutorials for any level of mapper
Topic Starter
Goyari Dalri

chromb wrote:

I'd recommend pishifat's youtube channel, he's got a load of really good tutorials for any level of mapper
Okay, I will check the channel out. Thank you so much :D
Zelzatter Zero
Except for like getting started with the editor and/or knowing how to time, I'd suggest NOT looking any further in his videos until you made several maps. You won't learn anything from those guides if you don't have any experience from it.

Plus since you're new, any misunderstanding and poor advice can be really damaging, especially on generalized guide like pishi's videos where comprehensive context is needed while new mappers can barely reach those. An actual feedback about a specific map will be way more helpful than that.
Sountren
My tips is to use more variety patterns and slidershapes since the map would look boring and repetitive. And don't forget to use all the playfield so the map isn't only focused on the middle of the playfield.
Topic Starter
Goyari Dalri

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Except for like getting started with the editor and/or knowing how to time, I'd suggest NOT looking any further in his videos until you made several maps. You won't learn anything from those guides if you don't have any experience from it.

Plus since you're new, any misunderstanding and poor advice can be really damaging, especially on generalized guide like pishi's videos where comprehensive context is needed while new mappers can barely reach those. An actual feedback about a specific map will be way more helpful than that.

Oh okay, Thank you for letting me know! :D

Sountren wrote:

My tips is to use more variety patterns and slidershapes since the map would look boring and repetitive. And don't forget to use all the playfield so the map isn't only focused on the middle of the playfield.
Okay, I will try and keep that in mind. Thank you very much :D
smolship
If you ever intend to rank a mapset you should read the ranking criteria and also you can try putting (newer) ranked maps in the editor and see how they do patterns and symmetries and stuff.
Topic Starter
Goyari Dalri

smolship wrote:

If you ever intend to rank a mapset you should read the ranking criteria and also you can try putting (newer) ranked maps in the editor and see how they do patterns and symmetries and stuff.
Okay, thank you for letting me know. I will do that. I also do intend to make a map set for rank. So, I will definally read the ranking criteria.

Goyari Dalri wrote:

Is there any songs I should avoid mapping as a beginner? Like should I avoid songs that changes BPM's?

There are ALOT of maps that you should avoid mapping as a beginner. I would recommend low-bpm tv-size maps for beginners. If you know a lot of things about mapping then you can go into the high bpm alt tech maps like me.
WitherMite

pika-pitch wrote:

Goyari Dalri wrote:

There are ALOT of maps that you should avoid mapping as a beginner. I would recommend low-bpm tv-size maps for beginners. If you know a lot of things about mapping then you can go into the high bpm alt tech maps like me.
guess it depends on your definition of low bpm, but should probably still stick to decently fast songs, too slow and it can be hard to make an interesting map.
Chiru-kun
They already pointed you to the guides, so I guess I'll try to give some tips for actual practice.

You should look to doing these as practice (while watching the guides everyone suggested):

1. Just choose a random map then try placing stuff like a real map. Doesn't have to finish, be good or whatever. Just start out.

What does this do? It helps you get used to mapping, brainstorming, ideating, struggling, failing, and choosing how to map a certain sound, a section, a song, music. No rights, no wrongs. Map like you're trying out some new art materials.

2. Choose a mapper whose style you like. Ideally, someone who has a simple mapping style full of simple shapes and is clean. Ideally, someone who has a ranked map. Ideally again, someone whose ranked map is a song you like. Then, choose a ranked map of theirs which you like. Then, try mapping the song of that same map. You could recreate the style, maybe. You could make your own twists that you like which you thought, "ah , this is better," maybe.

What does this do? It helps you understand how mappers think. The fact that a map is ranked means it's generally considered good and acceptable in most people's eyes, and the mapper behind it has decent enough standards. It helps you gain mapping standards and beliefs.

"Why did my fav mapper put this circle here? Why did he make the slider shape like this? Why is it blanketed? Why is there a jump here? A stream?"
"Ooh look at this pattern, it's pretty interesting. Can I use it in another way?"
"This map was ranked, approved by at least seven other decent mappers, so it has to be somehow good, right?"
"Couldn't this circle be here instead? Couldn't this slider be straight instead? Couldn't we have used a flower slider here? A spinner instead?"

Through this activity, you should be able to come out with at least a section of that song mapped by you. Don't try to finish it if its hard, maybe just focus on the chorus or the instrumental or the intro of that song. Like #1: doesn't have to finish, be good or whatever. You should also come out with an understanding of why people like and allowed to rank a certain map.

In no way are these the widely-accepted steps to actually become good in mapping; in fact some might disagree and say this is hard. There are many ways to go about learning mapping. This is just one suggestion.

There are also some things which you will have to re-learn after taking these steps, and it will not be straight. For instance, you might find that others still disagree with your map. Some of the things you learn in #2, for example, may be rejected by others. You'll just have to re-learn things afterwards and decide for yourself what's the right answer; you'll have a somewhat guided mapping sense by then, anyway.

By the way...
By the way, I saw your top scores. Some of them have songs which are good, like Miraizu and Kawaige Nai na. Didn't look at the maps themselves, but maybe, just *maybe* you could look to try making a map on those for #2.
Also...
I can point you to some good mappers to reference for #2, hit me up in DMs.
Topic Starter
Goyari Dalri

pika-pitch wrote:

Goyari Dalri wrote:

Okay, Thanks :D

WitherMite wrote:

pika-pitch wrote:

Goyari Dalri wrote:

guess it depends on your definition of low bpm, but should probably still stick to decently fast songs, too slow and it can be hard to make an interesting map.
is 180bpm to fast or to slow? As I found a song I want to map. I think its timed correctly and I got 180.

renzthegreat wrote:

They already pointed you to the guides, so I guess I'll try to give some tips for actual practice.

You should look to doing these as practice (while watching the guides everyone suggested):

1. Just choose a random map then try placing stuff like a real map. Doesn't have to finish, be good or whatever. Just start out.

What does this do? It helps you get used to mapping, brainstorming, ideating, struggling, failing, and choosing how to map a certain sound, a section, a song, music. No rights, no wrongs. Map like you're trying out some new art materials.

2. Choose a mapper whose style you like. Ideally, someone who has a simple mapping style full of simple shapes and is clean. Ideally, someone who has a ranked map. Ideally again, someone whose ranked map is a song you like. Then, choose a ranked map of theirs which you like. Then, try mapping the song of that same map. You could recreate the style, maybe. You could make your own twists that you like which you thought, "ah , this is better," maybe.

What does this do? It helps you understand how mappers think. The fact that a map is ranked means it's generally considered good and acceptable in most people's eyes, and the mapper behind it has decent enough standards. It helps you gain mapping standards and beliefs.

"Why did my fav mapper put this circle here? Why did he make the slider shape like this? Why is it blanketed? Why is there a jump here? A stream?"
"Ooh look at this pattern, it's pretty interesting. Can I use it in another way?"
"This map was ranked, approved by at least seven other decent mappers, so it has to be somehow good, right?"
"Couldn't this circle be here instead? Couldn't this slider be straight instead? Couldn't we have used a flower slider here? A spinner instead?"

Through this activity, you should be able to come out with at least a section of that song mapped by you. Don't try to finish it if its hard, maybe just focus on the chorus or the instrumental or the intro of that song. Like #1: doesn't have to finish, be good or whatever. You should also come out with an understanding of why people like and allowed to rank a certain map.

In no way are these the widely-accepted steps to actually become good in mapping; in fact some might disagree and say this is hard. There are many ways to go about learning mapping. This is just one suggestion.

There are also some things which you will have to re-learn after taking these steps, and it will not be straight. For instance, you might find that others still disagree with your map. Some of the things you learn in #2, for example, may be rejected by others. You'll just have to re-learn things afterwards and decide for yourself what's the right answer; you'll have a somewhat guided mapping sense by then, anyway.

By the way...
By the way, I saw your top scores. Some of them have songs which are good, like Miraizu and Kawaige Nai na. Didn't look at the maps themselves, but maybe, just *maybe* you could look to try making a map on those for #2.
Also...
I can point you to some good mappers to reference for #2, hit me up in DMs.
Thank you for the suggestion. This really helps :D
WitherMite
180 bpm is great, most maps are around that speed
Topic Starter
Goyari Dalri

WitherMite wrote:

180 bpm is great, most maps are around that speed
okay, good