forum

Local Offset

posted
Total Posts
show more
XPJ38
Never, except on really old maps with bad timing.
TakuMii
Offset is only supposed to be used if the hitsounds are out of sync with the music. If you turn on the Auto mod and the beats sound on-time, then you shouldn't be using it.

EDIT: Oh, I was thinking of Global Offset. Personally, I find that I only need to use this on old maps.
Aqo
-15 on Homework Crisis

osu secrets exposed
Tshemmp

silmarilen wrote:

i use it when i feel like im getting random 100s and my hit error shows im hitting early/late
lolcubes
All the time. Very few maps that i find perfectly timed, however its often in the+ -5 range most of the time. Also my soundcard is extremely bad so its probably that too.
winber1
The local offset seems so messed up to me. Half the time I don't feel like it even works. And the other half I feel like it just makes me accuracy worse no matter what I do.

aka I never change. ever.
iSpR1Te
I have never used any offset. Should i be on some maps?

Just tried to listen to a song that has an online offset of 15 and couldn't even tell a difference.
Mathsma
What's the difference between local offset, online offset, and universal offset?
XPJ38

Mathsma wrote:

What's the difference between local offset, online offset, and universal offset?
Local offset is an offset that you apply on a particular map.
Online offset is an offset that is applied on a particular map by osu! (e.g. to fix a bad timing after the map has been ranked).
Universal offset is an offset that you apply on all of your maps.
buny
someone could come on my computer and change my universal offset to 50 and i wouldn't even notice

but yeah both my local and universal offset is always at 0 unless it is changed automatically
Oinari-sama
I use local offset on about half of the maps in library.
Topic Starter
bomber34

XPJ38 wrote:

Online offset is an offset that is applied on a particular map by osu! (e.g. to fix a bad timing after the map has been ranked).
and I always thought that the online offset is just a value you should set your local offset for, lol
I actually asked this already in #help
but people could not agree to each other either back then ^^
Winshley

bomber34 wrote:

XPJ38 wrote:

and I always thought that the online offset is just a value you should set your local offset for, lol
I actually asked this already in #help
but people could not agree to each other either back then ^^
You actually got that correctly.

Online offset is there so that the players know where they should set the Local offset at. Online offset is done by moderators only, and will only be displayed when you actually fetched the online record of particular map at least once (once Online offset information is retrieved, it'll be stored locally inside osu!.db file).
Reyvateil
Was about to ask here, but after a search on the wiki I've already found what I was looking for... in the Japanese wiki anyways. Maybe I'll start using it more now that I confirmed that you can move the local offset 1 ms a time instead of multiples of 5
Topic Starter
bomber34
Yeah
I think it is nowhere really mentioned ingame that you can move local offset by 1 when you hold ALT while changing offset
Mathsma
So for clarification, should my local offset be equal to the online offset, or does the online offset automatically offset the audio?
puncia
I set it once here, -65ms: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/81051
boat
When playing DT. Helps me acc because I either press too early or too late.
yoyomster
I don't think it's always a good idea to change the local offset, especially if the map has no online offset.
An unstable rate that isn't balanced doesn't necessarily mean the offset is wrong.
It can also mean you're generally hitting your beats too soon or too late.
Changing local offset then would merely hide your inaccuracy instead of making you more accurate, i think.
Winshley

bomber34 wrote:

Yeah
I think it is nowhere really mentioned ingame that you can move local offset by 1 when you hold ALT while changing offset
Some features aren't properly documented. I even had to ask MillhioreF about 1ms offset adjustment out of curiousity.

Another undocumented feature (unrelated to this thread): I wasn't even aware about 'F' key being used to change replay/autoplay playback speed, until I accidentally found it when I tried to mimic keypresses while watching autoplay in osu!mania mode.
Dumie
I never do unless it's those old maps with bad timing.
Winshley
Yoko Ishida - paraparaMAX I [marathon]

Local offset that I used for above map
00:00:000 - +20ms
07:04:204 - The notes on this needs to be hit a little late. You can't adjust offset since there's no break time before this (and requires +20ms still), so you had to deal with it.
07:16:654 - 0ms
09:17:351 - +30ms
09:46:383 - +20ms (BPM is slightly off later, so be prepared to hit a little late after this)
14:03:366 - (Supposedly 0ms, but you'd better off hitting the notes early instead, because you'll be using +20ms after 14:18:080)
19:25:743 - Hit a little late until 19:29:284, you can't adjust offset here.
23:49:450 - +40ms (suddenly becoming so off @_@)
29:22:963 - +30ms (either just me or because of wrong BPM, by a very tiny difference. I dunno...)
31:29:053 - +20ms

Note that the timing varies depending on your perspective, hardware, and possibly other factors. The timing above are what I feel "right", and may be wrong on other people. Additionally, there are some part that I still hit inaccurately, but still getting 300 thanks to relatively forgiving OD, so I can't guarantee the accuracy with HR mod.