forum

Bottleneck in mapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_10883764
I managed to rank a map like few weeks ago, but I don't want to stop here, I want to go further than one ranked map

I mapped a new song and asked for mods, but I cannot get any general advices that could helped me on my map quality, 99% of them are nitpicking or just focused in one section with less than 5 seconds

Then I thought my map is ready for BN checks

I asked quite some of them, the responses are either "Not interested" or straight up ignoring

Only one BN provided general feedbacks on my map after saying "Not interested" which I feel more useful than "Blanket here" / "Stack broken". He emphasized that I shouldn't have problem finding BNs

I understand BNs are also humans, and the cause of ignoring might just be missed it, so I didn't care about that, since I also miss messages frequently

I feel that my mapping is barely above the rankable standard, and I know about the mentorship programs but sadly I don't really have time for those

Where else could I find the breakthrough ?
Garden
I had the same feeling a couple of years back then. Since I wasn't that much of a sociable person, I didn't feel like bugging more experienced mappers for feedbacks everytime I made new stuffs (though I believe it is a very good way of improving if they are open to providing general suggestions). Instead I chose to start offering normal mods via modding queue as a means of getting to see more maps for inspirations and others' modding perspectives. Could hardly say it's good for a breakthrough but it did strengthen my basics and widened my understanding on a variety of mapping topics.

Also asking for feedback in person is way more efficient than modding queues nowadays (improving mapping wise) considering modding queue culture had changed a lot over the years.

a tldr suggestion: look at more maps, try to get where and why they did(n't) do well, implement the ideas in ur own mapping. how fast one progresses can be differed so take it slow
Zelzatter Zero
In other words, don't be afraid to experimenting, both with map concept and song choice. At one point you'll need to step outside the box in order to explore more possibility in your mapping. Don't give up if it doesn't work at first though, failure is the mother of success after all.

Also, don't just map solely for ranked. Your enjoyment should be in the first priority or else you wouldn't be satisfied no matter how good the map can be.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_10883764

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Also, don't just map solely for ranked. Your enjoyment should be in the first priority or else you wouldn't be satisfied no matter how good the map can be.
I don't actually map for ranked anymore after I get my first rank if I am not clear enough, I want to improve my mapping in general, to a level where finding BNs will not be a problem, since it is still a pain to find BNs currently just like every unranked mapper

I assume most of the BNs thinks that the map is not good enough so that they don't nominate them and I actually agree, since I don't think my first ranked is even meeting with the general standard. Lots of meaningless respective pattern are used

Garden wrote:

Instead I chose to start offering normal mods via modding queue as a means of getting to see more maps for inspirations and others' modding perspectives. Could hardly say it's good for a breakthrough but it did strengthen my basics and widened my understanding on a variety of mapping topics.
For me I already have some foundation yet not advanced enough on mapping which I cannot determine accurately whether that is good or not solely based on my experience, but I will try this

Garden wrote:

Also asking for feedback in person is way more efficient than modding queues nowadays (improving mapping wise) considering modding queue culture had changed a lot over the years.
The main point is that it seems that I cannot get general feedbacks/mods from more advanced person (Such as BNs, quite some of them just say "Not Interested" and that's all) or I only get some feedbacks which are extremely specific (i.e. blankets) which I think this caused the bottleneck

I would like to ask who else (except BNs or NATs) could I ask for feedbacks ?

If any of you interpret those as ranting I am really sorry on the choice of word, once again I would like to state that I am not ranting about anyone not giving constructive feedbacks to me, since they do not have to look at every map. They are humans and also have musical tastes and I totally respect them.
Zelzatter Zero
iirc there are some BNs that accept giving general feedback, tho I don't have anyone in mind rn. Most likely they will state it in their userpage, so you can go and check.

If you prefer someone else other than BNs or above, any popular mapping discord server or in-game #mapping chat would suit your need as there's a high chance some people not being a BN but still have notable reputation in the mapping community and/or have good mapping experience will be active there. Do note that the #mapping chat might be filled by memes tho.
Garden
Didn't really think you're ranting though, your questions are common and I believe many mappers would share the experience.

Aside from whom you deemed more 'advanced' people (not necessarily true but that's another topic), experienced mappers in general can provide good feedbacks (like someone who barely had trouble ranking many maps, or whose maps you enjoy a lot). From what I can tell, some BNs unwilling to help with feedback usually results from their main responsibility which is to focus on maps for ranked rather than the growth of an individual mapper. It's understandable that they prefer taking the time modding/pushing what they are more interested in cuz it's why they applied for the position in the first place.

As a bn for years myself I did give lots of feedbacks to many people and was responsive most of the time, some grew well as a mapper and some didn't keep improving even after fairly long conversations of feedbacks. Sometimes I would really question myself whether it's worth it, and it's hard to deny that pushing forward a good map gives more straightforward kinda sense of achievement than being responsive to everyone, putting heart into your feedbacks and receiving barely anything and occasionally even ranting like 'why the heck you wont nominate my map!!'. This is not making an excuse, just letting you have a better grasp of the mindset behind some bns. (Though not responding at all is straight up bad, everyone hates that and so do I.)
Sophie Twilight
Personally, I think rather than being able to meet ranking criteria and quality, what makes BN more willing to nominate (if the map is decent) is what in the mapset caters the BN's interest.