forum

Need a new keyboard for 4k mania

posted
Total Posts

Which type of keyboard do you use for osu?

Red switches
62.50%
Blue switches
4.17%
Brown switches
8.33%
Speed silvers
12.50%
Membrane (!)
8.33%
Black switches (?)
4.17%
Total votes: 24
Topic Starter
Hookseye
Hello! I am a 4k mania player, and I need a new budget keyboard as my old one recently completely degraded.

I've been using a keyboard called Rexus Wayfaction VR1, it costed me $10 (and that price even includes a gaming mouse to boot) and I've had lots of good accuracy plays and scores with it.

But sadly, with my "Total hits" displayed in my profile being more than 14 million, it has far surpassed its supposed lifespan as told by the manufacturer, which is 5 million clicks before breaking. It should be noted that this is a membrane keyboard and it took me around 1 million clicks on a key before the rubber dome is actually flexible enough to be comfortable for accuracy playing.

So I went to the nearest PC store and bought a mechanical gaming keyboard with blue switches. It costed me more than $50 and it's by far so much worse than the $10 one. On maps that I can SS consistently with my old keyboard, I would get As or even Bs using this one as sometimes my key presses doesn't register and/or I experience ghosting when hitting chords (despite the box stating it supports anti-ghosting technology). The delay in-between key presses are also somewhat inconsistent, as "Greats" sometimes appear when I am most certain that I pressed the key on the "Perfect"/"Rainbow Perfect" time window.

Now I'm not sure if its due to the build quality of this off-brand mechanical keyboard, but I am afraid of buying anymore mechanical-switch keyboards because of these issues I experienced with mine. For those who are wondering that keyboard is called "Abkoncore Arc K660 Premium Arc Edition".

TL;DR All-in-all, please recommend me a good (preferably cheap) keyboard for mania!
Haengsyo
HyperX alloy FPS(just get new keycaps since everything about the keycaps suck, but the keyboard is insane value)
Topic Starter
Hookseye
Hmm I just looked up that HyperX alloy keyboard and its advertised with red/brown/blue switches, does that mean I could swap them out if one color doesn't suit my preferences? I'm still kind of noob when it comes to these things..
Haengsyo
No, sadly it is not hotswappable. Hotswappable keyboards are usually more expensive, so unless you have spare money, I recommend buying 1 keyboard after watching plenty of switch reviews
UltraBlack
You can try the steel series keyboards, they are not the cheapest but they are really good, some really recognised players that used/use this keyboard is wonder and Inteliser. You have also the corsair ones
AW_Flister
Try more famous brands like Rexus/Fantech/digital Alliance with outemu red for cheap budget options or maybe if you have some money (around Rp 1jt) try Ducky/Keychron with gateron red

General opinion is that Cherry MX > Gateron > Outemu, but keep your budget in mind too
Topic Starter
Hookseye

Haengsyo wrote:

No, sadly it is not hotswappable. Hotswappable keyboards are usually more expensive, so unless you have spare money, I recommend buying 1 keyboard after watching plenty of switch reviews
I went to a store and apparently Fantech makes cheap gaming gear which includes one which do have hotswappable keyboards, though for how long they'll last, I'll have to find out in due time :)

UltraBlack wrote:

You can try the steel series keyboards, they are not the cheapest but they are really good, some really recognised players that used/use this keyboard is wonder and Inteliser. You have also the corsair ones
I think I'll build up on my skills first before I spend that much for a keyboard. Thanks for telling me this though, it's very good to know what the mania gods are using, I will definitely take note of those keyboards in the future!

AW_Flister wrote:

Try more famous brands like Rexus/Fantech/digital Alliance with outemu red for cheap budget options or maybe if you have some money (around Rp 1jt) try Ducky/Keychron with gateron red

General opinion is that Cherry MX > Gateron > Outemu, but keep your budget in mind too
Thank you for this! I followed this advice and got myself a 60% keyboard from Fantech. It's really worth the price and these red switches truly are better for accuracy playing in mania, though for denser maps it might take some time for me to get used to, but I feel its not that big of an issue.

This keyboard comes with hot-swappable keys too, so I'll have the option of switching them in case it breaks (one actually broke already (presses sometimes don't register), so I switched that key with another that I rarely use which is the 'home' key.