forum

[Archived] Skin is impossible to delete

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SilverStar555
Hello! I cannot delete a skin. It is impossible to rename, move, or delete the skin. I cant mass delete the files in the skin either. It will get stuck on "moving / renaming / deleting folder" and will not delete the folder. I cant even delete the skin with the "del" command in command prompt, as it claims that the folder does not exist.
What do I do? How do I delete this folder?

osu! version: Stable 20220101.1 (latest)
THAT_otaku
Try restarting your computer, and then deleting the skin before u boot up osu!. I've had this issue before, and thats how i worked around it
Topic Starter
SilverStar555

THAT_otaku wrote:

Try restarting your computer, and then deleting the skin before u boot up osu!. I've had this issue before, and thats how i worked around it
This has not worked. I now cannot even open the skin folder without crashing File Explorer.
Blushing
Try switching skins in-game and then closing osu! and deleting it that way. Not sure if it is getting stuck on a certain aspect of the skin being open or if it is getting stuck due to the amount of files that are being deleted.
Topic Starter
SilverStar555

Blushing wrote:

Try switching skins in-game and then closing osu! and deleting it that way. Not sure if it is getting stuck on a certain aspect of the skin being open or if it is getting stuck due to the amount of files that are being deleted.
Ive had this issue before and I believe that it is due to zero second long OGG files. I was previously able to delete it using cmd prompt but I cant due to cmd prompt being unable to find the skin folder.
Dukn
Restarting this old thread since it's one of the first search results for people having this issue.

The reason you can't delete the file is most likely due to an .ogg file within the skin. Windows does not like .ogg files.

1. Good news is that it's not too difficult to resolve. You can try to delete it normally and just wait 3-5 minutes and see if it eventually solves itself.
  2. If that does not work, go to add/remove programs and delete "Windows Media Extensions". This can always be reinstalled if needed after.
  3. Uncheck .ogg and .opus files in indexing options. Press win button, type index, open app, go to file types tab. Once this is done, restart your windows explorer via the task manager by right clicking it and selecting restart.
  4. Boot in safe mode and delete the file
Hope these steps help someone. It was frustrating to not know why this was not working. I highly recommend to just select delete on the file and go grab a drink while it does it's thing. Most of the time that works best.

BTW I tried deleting it with git Bash using rm -rf and that just causes it to hang. Best bet is one of the steps above.
Corne2Plum3

Dukn wrote:

Restarting this old thread since it's one of the first search results for people having this issue.

The reason you can't delete the file is most likely due to an .ogg file within the skin. Windows does not like .ogg files.

1. Good news is that it's not too difficult to resolve. You can try to delete it normally and just wait 3-5 minutes and see if it eventually solves itself.
  2. If that does not work, go to add/remove programs and delete "Windows Media Extensions". This can always be reinstalled if needed after.
  3. Uncheck .ogg and .opus files in indexing options. Press win button, type index, open app, go to file types tab. Once this is done, restart your windows explorer via the task manager by right clicking it and selecting restart.
  4. Boot in safe mode and delete the file
Hope these steps help someone. It was frustrating to not know why this was not working. I highly recommend to just select delete on the file and go grab a drink while it does it's thing. Most of the time that works best.

BTW I tried deleting it with git Bash using rm -rf and that just causes it to hang. Best bet is one of the steps above.
Please avoid posting on already solved old issues