forum

Why do people overestimate their skill level?

posted
Total Posts
show more
silmarilen
you know whats even funnier? people who say you can read ar10 just because you managed to pass airman
Almost

silmarilen wrote:

you know whats even funnier? people who say you can read ar10 just because you managed to pass airman
I can't pass Airman and I can sightread AR10 pretty well...
Aqo
If you can pass airman it doesn't mean you're good at AR10
But if you can't even pass airman you're most definitely .bad. at it

lol
Wishy
Airman is extremely easy to pass, I know several not experienced players that could easily clear it, so yeah if you can't even clear Airman I'd also say you are very bad.

Would be a different story if it had higher drain like it did before rank tho.
GoldenWolf

Almost wrote:

I can't pass Airman and I can sightread AR10 pretty well...
Airman is only HP3, how can you sightread ar10 but can't pass it?

Aqo wrote:

That's why I created this map http://puu.sh/3wCLU. If you ever encounter somebody overestimating their streaming ability, just ask them to play this map. It's a simple 185bpm stream that should be a piece of cake to do if you can really stream 185bpm. For the record I did 94% on this map and I don't consider myself to stream over 180bpm, even though I streamed (FC'd) 190bpm for 2000 notes once on a different practice map.
Aqo this map is too easy :<
Topic Starter
Pettanko
Well shit.

eldnl

winber1 wrote:

Do you really need to ask a question like this? Eiither they don't understand what true streaming (or reading) is or they just want to look pro. There aren't really any other possible reasons.
There are many threads like this and I think most of them are useless. Please stop.
Jenny
The whole point why people talk "big" is because every individual has a different definition for things.

For example, you can be able to "play" AR10 without being able to anywhere FC it - by "playing" in this case, the person in question is probably referring to "being able to somewhat handle and pass through it", rather than "full combo it on SS rank"; the main point here is, to differ between the act of playing and leaderboarding/scoring on this map, if you get me.
And that's basically it.
buny

Soarezi wrote:

buny wrote:

if you have stamina to stream 190 bpm for 2k notes then you have enough to do 222 bpm...
but are you fast enough.
sure, it's not 222bpm for 2k notes or 200 notes

@Aqo

marathon runners can't sprint as fast as sprinters, but they can run faster than their actual pace that they run the marathon. They obviously don't to conserve energy
thelewa
I can stream 190bpm for 2000 notes and I get tired in FD
buny

thelewa wrote:

I can stream 190bpm for 2000 notes and I get tired in FD
maybe i just need to train my fingers

i can hardly do 500 perfectly
RLC

Aqo wrote:

The main reason people overestimate their skill level is because they're still new to the game and their reading is bad so they're oblivious to what's going on. They play a map like NNRT and think they can stream 202bpm because it feels fast to them when in fact the map is just a bunch of bursts that are 9/13 notes long with only three streams that are 17 notes long (wow! 17!) in the very end (I can FC those "streams" while not even being warmed up for 170bpm with only a few 100s in the start/end of each stream since it's only OD7. so much for all of those miraculous 200bpm streamers).
well fuck. damn, looks like i can't stream 202bpm after all. so much for feeling good about myself.
Arcanine
they think they're good. easy as that. but imo i think faster maps are easier huehue (ofc when im warmed up)
Tsukimi Luna
i preach to the world that i am the worst player ever on earth

Anytime i miss anything
I suck
So am i expecting too much from myself?

"overestimating?"
Stoneybeans

Yuu-Chii wrote:

Anytime i miss anything
I suck

"overestimating?"
Zare
Once you say you're good, you say you're satisfied. Once that happens you won't improve anymore because you don't push your limits anymore.
Therefore I will never say I'm good at the game.
But maybe that's also because I actually am honestly bad, compared to people with similar joining dates and playcounts? Oh well.
lolcubes
You can't really compare high speed with high stamina.
I can't hold a certain bpm for very long when streaming, however saying that you can't stream a certain bpm because you can't hit more than, let's say 100 notes with 300, is kinda bull. To be honest, insanely high bpms might be impressive to play, but most of the time I see people derping so much on low bpm that it's kinda funny (for example RooM, people just HAVE to use doubletime, and get owned by OD even more, because they are unable to play slow things).

In regular conditions you will never face such things in most ranked maps. While freedom dive demands exceptional stamina, apart from the deathstream, other streams are pretty easy to click. The hard part of the freedom dive streams is the aiming required in my opinion. Often times I can steadily click but can't aim, so once you hit one note too late due to bad aim, the whole stream falls apart.

Though, here is one example of a pretty good test if you can actually stream around 230bpm: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/38235 + DT.
Tsukimi Luna
i wish i could hold high bpm for a long time :(

I can only do slow bpm.....
Naikaze

Yuu-Chii wrote:

Anytime i miss anything
I suck

"overestimating?"
This
JareDeZane
I can stream 200bpm no problem. ez game ez life
lol jokes, no fucking way

Sotodashi
Nah, I tend to underestimate them instead.